Oil Sampling for my 3 cyl Diesel

Newf

Crew Member
My 3cyl diesel appears to be "making oil". 2014 Volvo Penta D1-30 with just over 3200hrs.

I've been noticing a small oil level increase on the dipstick recently. Was wondering if there is anywhere around Victoria area where I could get sampling jars and where to send it for analysis? Being reading online and see that there are several possible sources where diesel could be getting into the oil,,,bad injectors, cracked head etc etc. Wanted to start with confirming that there is actually diesel in the oil before chasing down causes.
Thanks.

Blackstone labs:

They send you the sampling kit for free, the you pay return postage plus a $35 fee.

I have 2 sample kits in the shop for a rainy day and I’d give one up if you’re impatient, but I am on the mainland.

I am not aware of any companies that do it
locally at a small scale, maybe someone else can speak to that.

Thanks for the offer but I will check these guys out and get a kit. Appreciate the link.

Your on the right track though. Without sniffing that oil it's just a maybe

Any Finning location, or Brandt Tractor or SMS Equipment. They'll sell you a sample kit and help you fill out the form.
Cost is close to the Blackstone price listed above though, so for convenience sake it might be the best choice!

Internal fuel pump leak? If it does have an lp fuel pump on the engine, marine code dictates that if the fuel pump diaphragm leaks it should leak into the base and not the bilge, does the oil smell excessively of diesel? On a side note another reason not to use automotive parts on a boat.

Last edited:
Change the injector orings and crush washers to start. Re install with new hold down bolts. Super cheap and likely over due anyway. Could even think about new injectors if they aren't too pricey.
Lube with clean engine oil. Run it and see. I'd start with the cheapest first.
Failure to that, I'd be lookin at the fuel pump. Cracked head is far fetched.

Change the injector orings and crush washers to start. Re install with new hold down bolts. Super cheap and likely over due anyway. Could even think about new injectors if they aren't too pricey.
does not appear to have o-rings to leak on that injector. what i have always done for a quick easy free oil checking for diesel is place a drop of oil in the palm of your hand and see if it spreads in the creases or basically does not spread. this will tell you pretty quick if it is fuel

Did the oil pressure change?
No, not that I've noticed.
Internal fuel pump leak? If it does have an lp fuel pump on the engine, marine code dictates that if the fuel pump diaphragm leaks it should leak into the base and not the bilge, does the oil smell excessively of diesel? On a side note another reason not to use automotive parts on a boat.
Stupid me but not sure what the "IP" fuel pump stands for. All original on the engine so no automotive parts. Bought the boat new in 2014. I don't get a smell of fuel but that could be just me. Oil doesn't feel to be diluted, but again that could be just me in not knowing.
Just screw in type injectors, no hold down bolts.

Just for info. Most of the 3200hrs are from trolling which is basically just in gear/idling which I know is not the greatest operating condition for a diesel. No lost of RPM's or speed,,,,pretty much the same as when new.

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 28
Stupid me but not sure what the "IP" fuel pump stands for. All original on the engine so no automotive parts. Bought the boat new in 2014. I don't get a smell of fuel but that could be just me. Oil doesn't feel to be diluted, but again that could be just me in not knowing
Low pressure fuel pump (regular fuel pump) vs High pressure (injector pump).
To be clear, I am no mechanic or engineer just experience at sea and a machinery operators certification

Low pressure fuel pump (regular fuel pump) vs High pressure (injector pump).
To be clear, I am no mechanic or engineer just experience at sea and a machinery operators certification
Thanks. No mechanic here either. Just a DIYer on anything I own and enjoys working on anything mechanical. With the help of the good folks on this forum I will tackle most things on my boat.

does not appear to have o-rings to leak on that injector. what i have always done for a quick easy free oil checking for diesel is place a drop of oil in the palm of your hand and see if it spreads in the creases or basically does not spread. this will tell you pretty quick if it is fuel
So the diesel contaminated lube oil will spread?

I have lots of time using Kubota 3 and 4 cylinder engines for generators and fuel pumps looking exactly like that engine and never had that. Lots of other issues (usually late at night) but never that. All had electric low pressure pumps, not sure if yours would have a mechanical low pressure pump but if the diaphragm in a mechanical pump is leaking internally it could put fuel into the oil. Otherwise I see very few areas where fuel could get into the oil. They are a pretty simple beast.

3200 hours and lugging, could be getting by the rings, poor injector spray or not closing completely. How long since last oil change and how much is it making? Is it running up to proper operating temp?

Back