Victoria 2014 Reports

Updated the pictures so they are a little better.

I don't think I can accept the "dialed in" claim I just got lucky and found the feeding fish as you can see the bite was on. These were the first decent fish I've hit all year I've certainly put the hours in. Hopefully this effort is repeatable next time!

Must have been other guys hitting them this weekend there was certainly enough boats out there but as usual very few reports. Now if the God Damn Wind would just hold off one evening I'll get right back out there...

Me and my shadow put in 4 hours this morning from 7 - 11 around the breakwater and Esquimalt. It was thin pickings but we managed to find one dumb one. Saw very little for bait or fish being marked. Picked this one up on a 3 inch cop car glow TKO spoon, it weighed 12.5 lbs.

tasejaha.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and my shadow put in 4 hours this morning from 7 - 11 around the breakwater and Esquimalt. It was thin pickings but we managed to find one dumb one. Saw very little for bait or fish being marked. Picked this one up on a 3 inch cop car glow TKO spoon, it weighed 12.5 lbs.

tasejaha.jpg
A gooder buddy & shadow;now a 3 inch cop car spoon is a good downsizing ;)

I took my son and mother in law out of Esquimalt to pull our crab trap this eve. Gorgeous, glassy night. On the way over we saw a pod of harbour porpoises feeding on some weedy tide lines. In my books that is always a good sign. So after pulling up our empty crab trap we threw the lines down to troll back to the launch. There was tons of debris in the water and as I got up to check the rods for weeds the reel starts singing. 16lb wild red female in the box. We gave it another 30 minutes or so, but were heading in for dinner so felt pretty good be bringing home a beauty after a very very slow last few weeks. Caught on a 50/50 stainless/24k gold plated sand lance with glow and moon-jelly on the other side. Stomach was completely empty...
IMG_3463.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3469.jpg
    IMG_3469.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 426
Nice fish! I was trolling the sandlance/moonjelly yesterday for a couple hours out front here with just one shaker.... hope fishing picks up again out front.. pretty spotty now...

hooks for the sandlance spoons

Nice fish! I was trolling the sandlance/moonjelly yesterday for a couple hours out front here with just one shaker.... hope fishing picks up again out front.. pretty spotty now...

Andrew,
I was just wondering what hook you are using on your sandlance spoon?

I am glad more reports are coming in. Lots of people fishing out front lately. I knew there were some fish around and now starting to see the birds on bait balls.
Heading out tomorrow to give it a try.

JL

sandlance hook

I use a 3/0 or 4/0 siwash hook. Can go bigger, but this seems to be the sweet spot. There is pretty good conversation about it over in the sand lance thread. Cheers.

the hook in your picture looks to be a 4/0, just wondered what make it is?

I just heard from a friend who hooked a 25 doing the usual Tac in front of the break wall. So that's good news, maybe they are starting to show....

Back