Victoria 2014 Reports

Over the years I may have got 2 or 3 back, and lost countless fish.
It helps take the sting away when you at least get your gear back.

I've only had a few seal/sea lion encounters with my fish - maybe 6 total. I've gotten about 3 of 6 back by keeping the boat over the animal to the extent possible. Here's the face of one large seal lion after we got a fish back from him. He looked a little pissed off.

pissed sealion.jpg

If you want a real good seal battle;try fighting a foul hooked slob...:eek:

I've hooked seals in the mouth before when there was deffinetly no fish on the line first. They usually come up to the side of the boat give you the puppy dog eyes and start barking/whining. Mostly its been seal pups the full grown adults have already learned the lesson.

went to Conny....counted 8 seals in front of us waiting for us to catch a fish and donate few feet away from a large freight ship being anchored. slow day.

Nice photo Zed, thanks! I have told many friends about 'getting sealed' out of Victoria, this shows what it is like. I really like R.S.'s comment about 'let them have the fish'.

Has anyone actually 'won' a battle with a seal and had a fish they would keep?
'

Well, after a 5am start to take some friends out for a Hali Skunking, and a quick pass at Constance on the way home, my second attempt of the day paid off. I worked for a handful of hours after the morning skunking and then took my son out metchosin thinking that the next wave is only just working around the corner from sooke. It paid off. The first hit didn't stick, but the second did and landed a nice 13.5( weight is thanks to the awesome beast of an old scale my wife got me at a garage sale; it's great) clipped chinook. Really healthy football. Son was over it after we got the fish at 6 and I was good to go.

85' on rigger in 110' water.

Great eve.
arydera2.jpg
unaduva5.jpg

007 seal battle advice- reel em in fast when seals around. If they grab your salmon either let em chew and get gear back or choke them out by getting on top with boat and having fishing partner tattling gun em with slingshot every time they come up for air so they let go of fish. Playing tug of war rarely works and you lose your gear unless they must let go to breathe.

Gatling gun not tattling gun. Damn auto correct

X2 Powder wharf is on the East side of James Island.
T2

Thanks Tsquared and Saltydawg, we went around that area and in the channel between sidney isl and James. No fish but a beautiful night on the water.
Did come away with 4 keeper crabs between the 2 of us so not a total loss.

Day break till almost 11 at the oak bay flats. DIDDLY squat. One bite. Couple old timers jigging caught two. Very slow for most boats it seemed.

JL

We hit the flats today as well. Both my boys had ball hockey this morning, so I didn't hit the water until early afternoon. Had the old skunkaroo.
That was me who waved at you RS making a pass on B ledge.
Great day, first time out in a while....

Tried hali in 3 spots east of Chatham and 10 mile. No luck from 6 to 10. Small feeder salmon chasing bait on surface east of discovery and schools of fish 20 to 30 ft down on haro. Tried jigging. Drifted and jigged the gap. More bait. Moved near Brodie to jig the shallows. Saw more bait there than I have seen in years. Salmon chasing bait balls around finning and splashing. Caught a large sole. Conditions look ripe for salmon to move in on the flood to nail all that bait. I heard the fishing is heating up in renfrew.

Very helpful report

"Drifted and jigged the gap. More bait. Moved near Brodie to jig the shallows. Saw more bait there than I have seen in years. Conditions look ripe for salmon to move in on the flood to nail all that bait. I heard the fishing is heating up in renfrew.[/QUOTE]"

Now THAT is a report.
Thanks from all us lurkers for the DETAILS. This is very positive and helpful information!
Counting on the fishing picking up in the next three weeks when I can get out again.

Back