Victoria 2014 Reports

Fished Constance 9 to 1030 no love, moved back to the flats and worked it until mid afternoon. Picked up a hali around 20 or so on the troll, but no other bites. Hot sunstroke day. Nice to meet members Chero and GDW. God Damned Wind LOL

Started the day off on the bank--pretty darn slow out there but we did manage to pull up a nice 15lbs hatch--nicest looking fish for a while, bright and dark greens and blues...freaking stunning! (Turns out it is a peach coloured salmon...not red, not white...but right in the middle)

We pulled it off bottom with a green onion jellyfish lemon-lime glow flasher, (my new flasher! Swear the thing is made out of blood from predator alien--glows like crazy!) Fished the bank to the tides pushed us off, then played around Trial island and picked up a legal hatch for a rookie in the boat!

Oh yeah and I picked up crabs in Esquimalt! Sure we have all been there.

image.jpg Second half of team Ham Fist!

Last edited by a moderator:
That was an impressive **** show when I went by at extreme low tide. I thought the barge had perhaps been trying to save the other boat and got stuck himself. Well now they might buy a chart or turn on their electronics. ...... Back to the reports....it was slow on the OB flats, the a bit of a bite, but mostly smaller fish. Saw about 5 caught, then everyone swarmed and it was like hit to pass at the speedway. We broke from the pack and got one small one on the east end, but got sealed. Headed back and got a heavy one on an Andrew P Sitka sandlance spoon. Horses it in to avoid getting sealed again and then longline release when it decided to do a hard 180. Those spoons can be bent, but the fish liked it first time out. We got a look at the fish and it was 10+. I'll be adding a swivel between the book and spoon to remove his leverage next time. More testing today!

Of course they bend when you horse it in!! Lol. Seriously though, I am considering stepping up the metal gauge just a tad and would like some feedback on that. Balance between weight and strength. That said, I have been playing around with adding swivels and they work. Worked great on Nootka this weekend.

If I have a choice between the Sitka Sandlance and the coho killer, I'll support local and buy both. LOL. I fished both this weekend and at fished them side by side a few times and the Sitka got hit first. Almost any gauge can bend given the wrong angle, fast current, fast troll, spirited fish, and hamfisted-seal shy angler. A heavier gauge might not flutter the same way and get the same results, but I'd be willing to test more. I did notice the slower, less erratic action when running it with a heavier hook.

Report for yesterday off the flats. Slow....Maybe a 10 boats out in the AM and all but two boats had cleared out by 3pm. I saw no fish caught from 9 to 130 then headed around Trial and tried Clover Pt. No salmon but picked up a nice ling.

It was bycatch weekend for me and my crew. A halibut and a keeper ling wwhile trolling for salmon this weekend.

Took a week off to do some Salmon fishing.
I think the fish are on vacation elsewhere...
5 trips since Saturday without even a bite :mad:

Took a week off to do some Salmon fishing.
I think the fish are on vacation elsewhere...
5 trips since Saturday without even a bite :mad:

I was gonna do the same but held back because it's been slow for me. I've had 3 no hitters in a row off Esquimalt, my ego is bruised. ;)

i saw the c-raven on Beach dr a couple of times this week.. Thought it might be hot as you weren't saying anything.. Better than working !!

move west young man >>> :)

Whale watch boats are saying the orcas are moving fast through our waters. Not stopping to feed. No springs to hold them. :(

My boat never got any hali on about 6 trip out until I stopped trying and bounced bottom for salmon. Maybe try for hali with a small herring and you might get a salmon.

Wish I saw your 5 day consecutive skunk report before heading to the flats last night Craven. Nothing from the Dead Sea for us but did mark a little bait and a few fish I thought. Birds got excited once but it was over quick.

Was out there on Sunday and we hooked up a few times with one in the tub. Saw a handful of others caught by the usual suspects.

Went to Constance Bank yesterday. A bit bumpy in the morning but flattened down later. Had a few hits and two keeper Chinook to the boat. Released the 4lber and kept the 6. The fish gods were kind to us as we also got a nice chicken Hali while trolling for salmon and had it splashing like crazy in the big salmon net just as we were passing by someone anchored up. Mostly fishing the bottom and a UV squirt with some bright pink was the hot lure. No doggies but we released a lot of smaller undersize Ling.

Yup, West is Best! - But i still think some will show up off Oak Bay, maybe, ... .. hopefully. ...

Back