Victoria 2014 Reports

now that some nice salmon are coming in, I might give up on the hali.

It was an awesome day out there...couldn't ask for much more, but the fishing was still pretty slow. Was cool being the first truck in the parking lot at Esquimalt anglers.

Nice to have such an great fight from that fish too! Loved it! Can't wait for summer!

Back from a six month absence. Fished ob flats from 9-12. Awesome. Trolled up a 24 lb Hali. Followed by a low teens wild Tailed and released. Next was a high teens wild who put on a good show. Jumped four times. Long arm release. Then two hatch. 10 and 11 bonk.

Lots of boats and saw lots getting caught. Heard Constance was good too.

JL

Were you using hardware or bait?

KK

Back from a six month absence. Fished ob flats from 9-12. Awesome. Trolled up a 24 lb Hali. Followed by a low teens wild Tailed and released. Next was a high teens wild who put on a good show. Jumped four times. Long arm release. Then two hatch. 10 and 11 bonk.

Lots of boats and saw lots getting caught. Heard Constance was good too.

JL

It looks like the May sandlance feeding has begun on the flats and the teeners from Constance have found their way over. Sweet. I'll try out the new Sitka Sandlance and troll along beside Scott to mimic a sandlance school.

The Fishtactics report from 4 years ago shows GREAT fishing in May on the flats with fish up to low twenties. I'll assume that the good 2010 run = good 2014 run if they ran the gauntlet and spawned successfully.

Few fish around off Vic but saw a guys boat behind the yellow marker bouy off Victoria golf course all high and dry up on the rocks with a barge with what looks like a crane on it... dont know if it drifted up on that or ... a mistake?????

Tried the oak bay flats today for the first time. One bbq'r, one teen hatch job and 1 long line release. All on the same needlefish hoochie, 80-130'.

Few fish around off Vic but saw a guys boat behind the yellow marker bouy off Victoria golf course all high and dry up on the rocks with a barge with what looks like a crane on it... dont know if it drifted up on that or ... a mistake?????
watched the thing from the flats around 9 .The aluminum boat was pulling the barge and he cut the corner . Aluminum went aground and nearly got rammed by his own barge . All ok ., waited it out and floated off later in the day.

beemer

So he was towing that and with the info you just said he cut the corner on a marked bouy well hes an idiot.....what do you think a marker is for decoration??It AMAZES me with this day and age of electronics and such and info out there WHY this could even happen....glad it worked out ok for the guy and NO ONE was hurt but cmon....

That was an impressive **** show when I went by at extreme low tide. I thought the barge had perhaps been trying to save the other boat and got stuck himself. Well now they might buy a chart or turn on their electronics. ...... Back to the reports....it was slow on the OB flats, the a bit of a bite, but mostly smaller fish. Saw about 5 caught, then everyone swarmed and it was like hit to pass at the speedway. We broke from the pack and got one small one on the east end, but got sealed. Headed back and got a heavy one on an Andrew P Sitka sandlance spoon. Horses it in to avoid getting sealed again and then longline release when it decided to do a hard 180. Those spoons can be bent, but the fish liked it first time out. We got a look at the fish and it was 10+. I'll be adding a swivel between the book and spoon to remove his leverage next time. More testing today!

Even experienced skippers sometimes forget:
at low tide that marker buoy chain lengthens and the buoy can actually be 50' away from the hazard.

actually be 50' away from the hazard.

NO its is marking a hazard NOT to go on the inside of it, an accident is like hitting a dead head at 20 kts and not seeing it till the last second ... TOWING a boat on the inside is not an accident..... did that reef sneak up on him???doing 3 kts ??? I doubt it lesson learned the hard way PAY attention to the markers and electronics its there for a reason.....
I do hope everything is ok but SOOOOOOO preventable

Lots of boats on the flats, the I.O. boat was whacking springs on the jig....
didn't see much going on for troller's
maybe the afternoon flood produces better

We were 1 for 3 today jigging the flats,mid teen didn't mark much bait today. Tides not to bad, lot of seals. Two sunburns and some nice crab to finish the day. Awesome day. Met Naughty Girl today ( hali slayer)

The afternoon flood was what produced for us yesterday.... I'd take a jigged fish over a trolled one any day.

Are the guys jigging just free floating??

My wife and I fished the Flats from 11:30 to 2:00 today and she got her first ever spring while trolling. A nice 7-8 lb Hatchery fish. It was not hooked o bad so we let it go as it was the first blood in the new Lund, hoping for some good karma from the fish gods. She was a bit nervous as there had to be 15 boats around us and a few fellow anglers gave her the thumbs up. A great day on the water. I have the week off and will fish daily with the tides getting really nice Thursday for a trip to Constance.

Back