Victoria 2014 Reports

Ran out to Constance for a quick fish tonight from 4-7 with a fishing buddy(still just a lurker) and my dad. Awesome weather, smooth like glass on the way out, bigwavedave was right on the money. Lots of little lings...but no love on the salmon front.

Figured it was going to be an awesome trip because we somehow managed to forget the net...it would have been Murphy's law to try to bring in a monster without it.

Ran into a boat coming in with a 4 pounder to show for the day, so it looked pretty slow...they did have crabs!

OK... where do we get these spoons... I might have to bite. Was out again tonight and went 0 for 3, the same boat came out when we had been there for an hour and cleaned house in short order

I know the other boat that was out and they certainly did well. Most were in the range that you got (6-8lb) but up to 12lb or so. The sandlance spoons that I have been making was what was doing well for them.

I made it out for a couple very short but successful outings over the weekend. Out for hali on anchor from 7-9am on Saturday and we got 2 nice chickens around 20lb each. AND....not a single dog fish!! Our only 2 bites were rod bending hali hits.

Then, sunday my toddler and I headed out to connie for the current switch and fished from 330-5pm. Missed a couple of pin poppers but brought home a scrappy 6-7lb unclipped. I have personally never seen so many seals out there. There must have been about 20 in one zone. I didn't hang around there to find out how hungry they were and luckily when the hook up did come, there were no seals where I was. Stomach was empty and he took the sandlance spoon.

View attachment 11621

Seemed a little slower tonight off Oak Bay... possibly because the boat that was cleaning up the last two nights was absent... Managed one and a bonus chicken on a chovy above a dummy flasher... lost another on a squirt. Great city where this is what you can do after work!

Attachments

• DSCN3463.jpg
    DSCN3463.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 920
We finally got the new boat all rigged for fishing and hit the Gap after work yesterday. Just got both rods down when we had a good hit, popped it off the downrigger and played it for a few seconds before it got off. We were follwed around by up to 6 seals
for the 90 minutes we spent trolling. Saw lots of bait on the fish finder. The boat ran great and seems like I have it all set up to be user friendly. Got the hit on a purple haze flasher and a green/glow cyote spoon.

A couple of teenagers off the waterfront

Attachments

• 10251965_10154237687700495_1111566384787399304_n.jpg
    10251965_10154237687700495_1111566384787399304_n.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 713
** Late report. Went out on buddies boat. Less than 1 hour on the pick on Tuesday and we had 2 nice fish. One on mackarel, one on salmon/herring combo. Tried for salmon after and missed a hit and one long release, then got one for the box before checking the trap. Only one keeper crab off willows. Commies were in there when we were pulling trap.
10338260_10154103694280133_7970880666398933759_n.jpg

10330394_10154103694285133_401392587264637541_n.jpg

Any advice on fishing salmon in oak bay?i got the boat moored there for a month fished the race track I believe for about a hour today dragging bottom and a needlefish hooch on one side and small tko spoon on the other got 1 under size.just looking for a few hints never fished there before

You weren't doing anything wrong, there wasn't many fish around today
we hooked and released 2 small ones, and had on good pop off that didn't stay hooked.
My buddy and his son got a 12lber.
Should get better real soon....

You weren't doing anything wrong, there wasn't many fish around today
we hooked and released 2 small ones, and had on good pop off that didn't stay hooked.
My buddy and his son got a 12lber.
Should get better real soon....

Hope to see u out there soon I didn't really give it a honest effort I was halibut fishin most of the day with nada to show for it

Any advice on fishing salmon in oak bay?i got the boat moored there for a month fished the race track I believe for about a hour today dragging bottom and a needlefish hooch on one side and small tko spoon on the other got 1 under size.just looking for a few hints never fished there before

Fish Tank - tried to send you some intel via PM - your box is full!

Nice day out on Constance. Working just off bottom using a coho killer, tkos, some Titan spoons managed to pulled four decent fish out. The biggest was a sweet 16lbs'er and it rocked! Beat the hell out my hand and fought like a beast to the end. All in all wicked awesome day!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Back