tuna fishing

;)
I'm in this year for sure. I booked time off and have a pretty big window so hope it works out. Still trying to decide whether to do the Tofino or Bamfield Derbies (same week) or just hook up with a few buddy boats and run from up Island somewhere. I could modify my time a bit and do Oli's derby but I don't know the area or details on the what and where part up there. Shorter run would be nice but not a big deal within reason. Any intel would be good.....thanks
ReelSlim, pm me if you like, as well as anyone else, success in numbers is the only way to roll! I have been fishing WH June and September for the last 6 years, and have learned sooooo much, and every trip I learn more. And have gained so many great relationships and friendships that lead to the next adventure! This September will be another amazing learning experience as well as a bit of a meat trip I hope.

60 gallon main tank.
Are you running a 4 stroke? Wouldn’t hurt to have 4 20 litre Jerry cans on board to top up once out to the grounds. Then you can tie them off the outside of your bow rails to get them off your deck when fishing. Don’t forget, you must have a slush bucket, and lots of ice for your catch. We had 3 fish coffins on board, and 36 tuna was all we could handle properly. Tuna must be bled and iced immediately.

Are you running a 4 stroke? Wouldn’t hurt to have 4 20 litre Jerry cans on board to top up once out to the grounds. Then you can tie them off the outside of your bow rails to get them off your deck when fishing. Don’t forget, you must have a slush bucket, and lots of ice for your catch. We had 3 fish coffins on board, and 36 tuna was all we could handle properly. Tuna must be bled and iced immediately.
Not a four stroke. But comparable fuel burn. I’m at max ponies for my hull so it doesn’t have to work to hard. And a couple hundred pounds lighter. 225 etec two stroke.
I have a massive cooler bag I’d like to use for slushing. I have lots of Jerry’s for work. Not a problem to bring more fuel.

:)
Not a four stroke. But comparable fuel burn. I’m at max ponies for my hull so it doesn’t have to work to hard. And a couple hundred pounds lighter. 225 etec two stroke.
I have a massive cooler bag I’d like to use for slushing. I have lots of Jerry’s for work. Not a problem to bring more fuel.
Well all I can say is do it once and you will not only be hooked, but you will learn soooooo so much and be that much more prepared for the next adventure as we all have done! Come join us in September, we will help you as much as we can.

Load up on weight, with water barrels etc to simulate fuel and ice. See what your fuel burn is for the run out and back as well as trolling. You will burn a fair bit of fuel trolling on your main at 7-8 knots. I calculated for the run out and back to 50 miles plus 8 hours of trolling would be 60 gallons. In reality we saw jumpers at 40 miles out and dropped the gear, trolled for 10 hours and ran back in from 50 miles out for a total of 59 gallons burned. I have a 70 gallon tank and carried 20 gallons in Jerry cans extra fortfor reserve that I didn't need.

I have a 24' aluminum, single 250...pick your weather and plan plan plan, and have a plan B of things don't work out.

I can say this..... do it once and you will know exactly what you would do differently the next time. Just make sure you are with a group when you head out. We all have open arms.

I can say this..... do it once and you will know exactly what you would do differently the next time. Just make sure you are with a group when you head out. We all have open arms.

I can confirm this, your group are good guys to fish with. I doubt I'll make it that far north since I can't trailer my boat but I'd join you if I was up that way. Either way, I look forward to sharing intel. I won't be getting out until August at the earliest

I can confirm this, your group are good guys to fish with. I doubt I'll make it that far north since I can't trailer my boat but I'd join you if I was up that way. Either way, I look forward to sharing intel. I won't be getting out until August at the earliest
I may dart dow for a weekend between now as September, if that happens I will give you a call buddy. Love to get out together again. We wait all year for this opportunity.

Load up on weight, with water barrels etc to simulate fuel and ice. See what your fuel burn is for the run out and back as well as trolling. You will burn a fair bit of fuel trolling on your main at 7-8 knots. I calculated for the run out and back to 50 miles plus 8 hours of trolling would be 60 gallons. In reality we saw jumpers at 40 miles out and dropped the gear, trolled for 10 hours and ran back in from 50 miles out for a total of 59 gallons burned. I have a 70 gallon tank and carried 20 gallons in Jerry cans extra fortfor reserve that I didn't need.

I have a 24' aluminum, single 250...pick your weather and plan plan plan, and have a plan B of things don't work out.
Great idea on the simulation. I’ll do just that. Thanks

I would recommend a garbage can for the slush bleed tank. Usually it’s fast and furious when you’re getting them and a quick slice under the chin and head first into the bucket so they can flail their tails as they bleed out.

maybe use the bag for carcasses on ice once they’re bled out and cooled down

I would recommend a garbage can for the slush bleed tank. Usually it’s fast and furious when you’re getting them and a quick slice under the chin and head first into the bucket so they can flail their tails as they bleed out.

maybe use the bag for carcasses on ice once they’re bled out and cooled down
X2 on the garbage can, make sure you’ve got it strapped in also.

;)
ReelSlim, pm me if you like, as well as anyone else, success in numbers is the only way to roll! I have been fishing WH June and September for the last 6 years, and have learned sooooo much, and every trip I learn more. And have gained so many great relationships and friendships that lead to the next adventure! This September will be another amazing learning experience as well as a bit of a meat trip I hope.

Hey I tried to send you a message but got a message I wasn't allowed to.....lol Maybe send me one and I will reply back.....thanks

Greg

Couple things to keep in mind on a tuna trip.

Your fishing off shore and even though you should be fishing relatively close to other guys in your group, communication out there is by line of sight with your vhf since there's not cell service. With the rolling swells that are common off shore line of site to other boats isn't always the greatest so you may find even the vhf reception gets not too great at times. For this issue we bring a satellite phone. I highly recommended that at least one boat in the group of boats your going with has one. You never know when an emergency will happen and the Sat phone might be the only way you can communicate to someone.

When you're off shore you might be fishing in the freighter shipping lanes. Even though they have radar etc they are at times running on auto pilot. It's up to you to keep out of the way of the large commercial vessels. A radar reflector on a mast is a good idea for off shore especially on the glass boats.

Make sure your kickers are working well in case your main breaks down. A tow in from 40 to 70 miles out is gonna be nasty and dangerous for everyone. Bring tow ropes. Dont count on other boats to have them on hand.

Make sure you have all the safety gear.

Communication and sharing info is key with the other boats your out there with. If the fish are there, there will be enough to go around for everyone so let others know your location and where your finding them.

Make sure your wash down is working well. It's a blood bath even when using the cans. Try to gill them while they are completely in the cans. And bring a brain spike for the heads.

The garbage cans and large coolers are great. As others said one for bleeding, one for slurry, and the cooler for packing. Key is to get the fish bled, killed and on ice as quickly as possible to keep the meat in prime shape.

Dont cut your fuel supply short. Make sure you have a large buffer of fuel more than what you think you'll use in the day. You might find yourself not only running way out to find them but then also travelling a lot more to stay on them or hunt them down if you lose the packs.

If you come across the commercial Tuna fleet dont F up their tacks and give them room. Last thing anyone wants is the commercial guys and rec guys to have a conflict over Tuna.

FB_IMG_1594650273581.jpg

FB_IMG_1594650397318.jpg

FB_IMG_1594650515966.jpg

Ive only gone a couple times tuna fishing myself. I agree that once you do it you will be figuring out what to change for next time. I ended up building a roof top spare fuel tank for the long trip out and back. I'd rather have 50 gals to much than 1 gallon to few. Looking forward to trying again this year. Thanks to After hoursIV and a couple other great guys for being generous on helping us newbie tuna fisherman out.

1lb of ice for every lb of fish...
+1 on that. . .don't skimp on the ice, those suckers hit the deck hot. . .literally!

I put a stopcock drain outlet on my slurry/bleed bucket, so that I can hold the blood in the boat during a stop/frenzy, and let it out when I'm on the troll. Attract less blue sharks that way (is my theory),

fb

Back