Tuna leader lengths with splashers

BC Coast Pilot

Tuna Leader lengths?
Seems theres lots of opinion on leaders with splashers from 3 ft to 15ft. Particularly with a zuker or feather behind a splasher.
What do you run? and why?

Report •••

I rig all mine with a 7’ leader. That seems to be the standard when I was researching it.

You want to keep everything fairly tight to mimic a bait ball. I try to run the gear so each splasher / rabbit is about 7’ - 10’ behind the previous zuker. I usually start the day with a couple without splashers in case the fish are “shy”, and if those are getting hit more then I’ll try opening up the spread and/or dropping a few more splashers.

We had that last year, flat calm, got most of em on the Whiskey line with a 12ft leader
I find that the majority of initial bites come from the lines off the short corners , no more than 25’ from the stern . We usually fish a 7 inch black bart jet or a similar lure on these short corners with no splash birds . The fish then seem to pile on the farther staggered baits with splash birds and zukers or clones 6 - 8’ behind them fished off the outriggers . Usually fish cedar plugs or a larger jethead way back straight down the middle . I have always been partial to the soft skirted splashers rather than the hard orange yozuri.IMG_0268.jpeg

I find that the majority of initial bites come from the lines off the short corners , no more than 25’ from the stern . We usually fish a 7 inch black bart jet or a similar lure on these short corners with no splash birds . The fish then seem to pile on the farther staggered baits with splash birds and zukers or clones 6 - 8’ behind them fished off the outriggers . Usually fish cedar plugs or a larger jethead way back straight down the middle . I have always been partial to the soft skirted splashers rather than the hard orange yozuri.View attachment 102841
Are those Lobo 9 inch?

Back