Top 3 Go To Hoochies

What leader length and test is the most popular for these great hoodies? I run 40# test and start at 36".

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

I run 40 or 50lb and basically tie the hootchie from my hand to my arm pit or middle of the chest and speed is always 3 mph plus up to 5 mph good luck!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

What leader length and test is the most popular for these great hoodies? I run 40# test and start at 36".

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

If fishing springs I run 50lb perlon and only run 35" ;)

The 35" may have been a joke but the 50lb perlon wasn't......

Standard leader length for me is left nip to extended right hand. I don't know how long that actually is, other than I'm 6'4" tall. Been working for the past 35 years, and 30 something inches is a tad too short IMO. Speed depends on which way the tide is ripp'n. Generally not slower than 2.5 and not higher than 3.5 for hoochies. Closer they get to the river the slower I go. Off shore I'm ripp'n along. Key is matching the bait the fish are on, and depth they are feeding.

My buddy who fishes out of sooke only has one speed FULL as fast as the 9.9 yam my can go usually 4 to 5.5 mph uses a really short leader like an arms length,I laughed when I seen it in action up in knootka inshore,but was a huge believer when he out fished everyone 4-1 I know it sounds bizarre…. I use this method now and rack them up BIG TIME… he tells me that when you use this method your fishing to a different instinct,the fish doesn't have time to think they just react !!! instead of following it for awhile deciding to eat it or not,thats the great thing about fishing an open mind is your best weapon…

Tight lines
Billydoo

I generally agree with running fast, however there are times and places when slow is Mo Jo. Chinook in the Alberni Canal tend to like it at 1.8 to 2.0...which is very hard to dial back down to when you are coming back from fishing off shore where we are ripp'n along. Totally agree that if fish are given time to stop and look they often refuse, so the faster you are going the more inclined they are to let instinct get the better of them.

Length? 33 inches for me. Three flasher lengths to the last hook. Now anchovies leaders....change all the time can be 35 inches to 8 feet.

a 79 with a pink stripe..works well also...:)

Attachments

• 20141230_134345.jpg
    20141230_134345.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 484
No glow or UV in the J79? Interesting.

In mid summer daytime I really like the white UV (aurora) to be incorporated in my hoochies. Most hoochie colour patterns come a plain, glow and aurora option. The full body aurora is the OAL12R

OGL161R
Green Galaxy
OG73R

That OC73R was one of our hottest hoochies for big springs when I commercial trolled back in the day.Always had a
couple of them down at all times.It was many,many springs "last supper"Our spring leaders were all 38".

This is hootchie that I have used with success, it is my last one, if anyone know what it is called, please let me know. I have been to quite a few stores with no joy.

Looks like a G10. Not sure if they still make it. I have them in Needlefish and they don't work...ask Derby.

Ha Ha...like I would almost trade my boat for a few packs of those...oh right, they don't work.;)

Top-Pistachio-oldie but goodie

Middle- Purple Haze w/Glo Squirt inserted

Bottom-standard Splatterback Green w/Tinsel

IMGP3522_zps7ee042a7.jpg

Back