Top 3 Go To Hoochies

Have 4...

army truck
light green splatter
churnobyl
white glow with red stripe

hoochies2.jpg

MBradley
You will find it hard to believe that OB fishing was so good that there were 3 charter boats from OBM working the flats and Gap. Evening fishing at the gap was a guaranteed catch at sunset! Weekends the flats were so crowded it was like a parking lot. Each charter boat would average between 85-120 trips every year with very few skunk trips. That's not including the Lakewood party boat that fished cod on the east side of discovery island. Sorry for the hijack, fellas!

I bet this was around the time that I was running around the OB dock in diapers...maybe before that even.

My parents had their boat down at OB marina and I remember catching salmon in OB with my dad, but the memories are vague as it was a long time ago... back when they used to have the whales :)

Sidney was similar.... have to work very hard for a fish there these days, but they are around.

Looks like the light green splatter back has earned a spot on most people's list.

So are we starting a top 3 spoon thread? Flashers?

I like the blue splatterback behind a blue glow flasher over the greens,

Sent from my rotary phone using tapatalk

From the Commercial Aspect ;)

J-55 (needlefish & Octopus)
B-52 (octopus)
The "Secret" Krill Pattern (octopus)

ALL Well Proven Killers WCVI.

Cheers,
Nog

...Big jimmy...little jimmy.

barrie;alas the "O.B" specials have been discontinued;apparently some of "us" are still hoarding them...they also work in other waterfront locations...;)

Looking to part with any shoe boxes? I am down to my last one....and I HATE fishing plastic! Haha.

Yep. I'll flip you a pack this spring before it heats up. Enjoy your trip and hang loose!

Winter doldrums, not much fishing happening, lets get some fishing talk happening.

So if they stopped making hoochies and you had to horde only 3 different ones, which ones would you stash and why?

My Choices:

1. J-79
2. Green Splatter Back
3. OLN 12R

My go to are greens and whites. I find more often than not these guys will catch fish in any situation. The green splatter back will catch fish anywhere, so I wouldn't leave port without it. It was hard to pare the list down to just 3 choices, and if I could add a few more they would be the Turd and Sonora.

that J-79 has been mentioned around Victoria. Is that a Radiant hootchie, in a needlefish pattern? Kind of green/brown colour with a black stripe down the back? Have had a version of that in a clear cuttlefish for about 40 years.
spackle backs and army trucks and whites have been good for me.

Derby posted a pic of a pack of the J-79's earlier in this thread for reference. Its my number 1 go to, and if its not working I cycle through the rest of the 50 or so combinations I carry around "just in case". I have bought enough stuff off Derby that he could retire 10 times over.

My favourite is the OA12R super killer inside outside,both sides of the island,run it with a blue mirror flasher we call this combo WHITE DEATH it kills everything !!!!
second is the TURD thats right thats the name of it lol can't remember the number,have to look in the box,brown anyways and also comes in uv.Both are killers wcvi
third is White with the red eye a definite main stay…..

Tight lines
Billydoo

What leader length and test is the most popular for these great hoochies? I run 40# test and start at 36".

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back