The scam among us....

fishin_magician

Well, I just HAVE to post this one.

A local acquaintance of mine who I have guided privately on couple of occasions over the last two years has been slowly realizing the experience that a fine piece of equipment brings to fishing enjoyment. Over the last two years he he bought a few items from Craigslist and then sold his old equipment to offset the cost of the new equipment. He recently posted a couple of high end reels to Craigslist and they sold almost immediately for less than "fair value" as the buyer self identified himself as a "guide" and the "guide" chewed him down saying he could buy the reel at "guide rate". I found this a little odd since guides can get "guide rates" as ambassadors of fine product a d being in the industry as a professional and using certain brands is an almost official endorsement of fine equipment. My acquaintance received emails from "guides" time and time again. Interesting. Anyways, a conversation ensued about the reason for the sale and my acquaintance explained what he was going to do.

A week later, said acquaintance is about to fork over the cash at a retail store and he sees the buyer of his is reels in a well known tackle store attempting to get a guide deal on the exact 2 reels he wants. My acquaintance found this somewhat odd as it's early October and the season is over. Needless to say, he pretended he didn't see the guy and kept a low profile. The "guide" if that's who he was, paid for the reels and left.

My acquaintance, 15 minutes later, approached a sales associate and wanted to purchase the 2 reels. The sales associate then said he was "out of stock" but said he would endeavour to find him 2 reels. My acquaintance, disappointed, hit the bricks and went to another shop to find the reels he wanted, nothing doing, everyone is sold out of that colour.

Anyways, fast forward to last week when my acquaintance sees an ad on a local forum/craigslist for exactly what he wants. He emails the seller with a different email address and asks for a phone number. It's the same guy. Who bought his reels. He blocks out his number, calls the guy, and sets a time to see the reels. He is offered the reels at almost full retail but discounted. He is also offered 2 other reels (the ones he sold 2 weeks before) at a hefty premium to his original selling price. He asked the guy to bring all reels to the meeting.

My acquaintance sends his wife to meet the guy to buy the reels while he waited and watched from the truck. Lo and behold, the individual who showed up to sell the reels was the individual who identified himself as the guide... The same guy who bought the reels. The wife negotiates $40 off each reel and buys 2 reels. Interestingly enough, my acquaintance then observed the guy from the tackle shop walk up and meet the "guide" after the sale had completed.

Well...how about that!? Talk about the hard way!!!

So after all this I viewed the emails and as it turns out the individual who identified himself has the name of a junior guide at a well known lodge "in the north". The sales associate isn't someone I know but I figure he and the guide are colluding and sharing in the profits and clearing a few bucks each.

To top it all off, another acquaintance at my marina ended up buying the two reels my acqaintance sold at $50 more each than my acquaintance sold them for weeks ago.

Just thought I would share this knowledge for those out there... Beware. My acquaintance was a willing seller in his original sale...definitely naive and a fool and his money...but either way, lots of unethical things going on here.

Buyer beware!

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this twice and fail to see how your friend could have a problem with it ?
people buy and sell things all day long on EBAY, Craiglist, Kijiji etc.
Obviously the other guy makes some extra cash buying and selling.
It's buyer and seller beware on all of these sites.

I'm surprised he went to all the trouble to "set the guy up" then bought the reels anyway.

I read this and fail to see how your friend could have a problem with this ?
people buy and sell things all day long on EBAY, Craiglist, Kijiji etc.
Obviously the other guy makes some extra cash buying and selling.
It's buyer and seller beware on all of these sites.
I'd have to agree..... I had to read 3 times just to figure this out.

Buy,Sell and Trade at your own risk..... All you've pointed out is that your acquaintance got suckered

Buyer Beware......Yes
Seller Beware......Yes

The only thing you have to wonder about is the sales associate in all this. If I was the stores owner I'd want to know what is really happening to my stock and is it being pilfered under the guise of a sale?

How is this a scam? Sounds like he got a good deal on reels and then resold them for a bit of a profit, what's wrong with that?

The only thing you have to wonder about is the sales associate in all this. If I was the stores owner I'd want to know what is really happening to my stock and is it being pilfered under the guise of a sale?

X2-Is the store owner losing potential profit because the clerk is selling at a discounted price.

I'm lost………..yeah yeah no surprise but, why did he buy the reels back that he sold, for more money?:confused:

Also I dont get the part about the shop and employee, if I understand a guy used his discount and resold something, whats wrong with that? Show me a retailer that dosent do that exact thing.

I read it once, this is what I get:

Guy wants new reels, sells used reels to guy who uses "guide rates" to negotiate lower price
Guy goes to store to buy new reels he wants.
Sees the "guide" who bought his old reels, buying the new reels he wants using a "guide" purchase discount??
Guy attempts to buy new reels afterwards, told S.O.L.
Guy sees online add for reels he wants, goes undercover to setup a purchase sting.
Wife buys guys reels from "guide". After sale, "guide" and tackle shop salesman chum it up together.
Original used reels purchased by "guide" sold for a profit.

If the reels are very high end and the discount is steep, then the clerk would be able to sell enough of these on the side to make a few bucks.

Especially if the demand is high, prompting interest in even slightly discounted merchandise, and they are able to move some volume.

ca-ching

Sounds like the sales associate and guide are running a scam. I would fire them and charge them if possible.

This thread is funny........
smileys-coffee-416030.gif

Seems like a lot of work to make a few bucks. On top of that if the sales guy is discounting product and then colluding with the purchaser to pick up margin dollars that rightfully belong to his employer, he could lose his job. Idiots.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

I believe undercutting the shop you work for, your employer, is cause for dismissal. The employee obviously knows the guide isn't buying the reels for his guiding, therefore is dishonest and should be gone.

If I understand the story the store is loosing profit because hard to get inventory is being discounted to an individual (s) who is not entitled to it. The employees shares in a percentage of this lost profit. That is theft from your employer. The employer has costs to cover the employee has none, if he wants to get into the business of selling then go get his or her own store and take the financial risk! If this was done routinely at all stores it could very well cause the manufacturers to eliminate their guide programs as it becomes a bit of a joke.

Sounds to me sort of like the same scumbag tactics used on that t.v. show where the guy goes to thrift shops, buys stuff for pennies and then lists them on e-bay for a 4000% markup.

Since I've seen that show I regard e-bay as the sucker capital of the internet. And whenever I'm on Craigslist I take a good long hard look at the listing first.

Ethically, in this case, both the "guide" and store employee are in the wrong. As it turns out the Guide identified himself as being employed with the lodge which is a big no no.

I recommended he deal with more scrupulous individuals and a different shop.

Why not report the retailer to the supplier?

Going on a public forum could have consequences that could affect programs like this in the future for others.

As for your acqantance...... Buyer/Seller Beware

Back