Trophy Xl Qr mooching reel

Wesman

Hello everyone, new member here and looking for feedback on two new Trophy XL QR moo hi reels I just purchased. Nice looking reels every seems nice and smooth on components…..but.. I haven’t even used them yet and I found when I was just messing around with them in the shop getting ready to out to Rupert tomorrow that the front line guide on both new reels chaffes the line when trying to pull out slack like you would normally do when letting line out behind the downrigger. There is a bit of a square/rectangle edge on the billet aluminum and if I pull it with a bit of pressure I could actually cut the line off (not that’s something you would normally do) but it seems old that this could happen on these high end a bit pricey reels. The salesman said it shouldn’t be like that and offered to replace them after my trip but a local store had the same reel and when I looked at it seemed the same so I honestly do not know if an exchange will fox this. The less expensive Daiawa and shimano mooching reel have the stainless round stock on the bottom which would prevent them problem I’m taking about from happen at all. Just wondering if you have to be mindful of technique with these billet style or if anyone else has noticed or had issues with this ? Thanks 🙏🏻

They’re pretty descent for the price. I’ve never had any problems with them and landed lots of hogs on them. Only issue for me was the line twist. Switched to MR2 drag springs and solved that problem. On the other side, if you have a Shimano GT4000, just use it for your trip and maybe look into other reels on your return; like TMX5 or MR2.
BTW, welcome to the forum and Good luck!

I just noticed this same chafing with my new Trophy XL. When pulling line it chafes, and you can see the shaving on that ridge you describe. My other Trophy XL doesn’t do this.

Back