Technique for landing big chinooks solo

the butcher

What do you guys find to be the best technique for landing big chinooks when fishing solo? If I get into a line peeler with a good amount of weight behind him pulling hard and I am alone in the boat.....

1). Should I slow down the kicker to minimize the amount of line that d
goes out? My concern is if there is too much line out that it will stretch and eventually snap or with all the boats out at sandheads at the moment, someone is going to run over my line and cut it with their prop since the fish have a tendency to surface when it is way out there.... But slowing it down can lessen the tension on the line as well which is not good....

2. Would you put the kicker into neutral and reel in the fish maintaining tension on the line?

3. Drag the fish and tire it out...but then there is a good chance a damn seal will latch on if you drag it too long..

Any other advice?

What about how to maximize your opportunities when you have a chinook double header and you are solo? Would you try to set the hook deep into the chinooks mouth on one and then put it in rod holder and do same for other rod or
do you just work on the first one until you land it? Then see if the 2nd fish is still on?

Slow the kicker, get out of the crowd then go to neutral that’s what I do,but not as many boats where i fish and only a few seals sea lions, the fraser mouth is another ball game, 100 boats and hundreds of seal, remember back in the day was about 50/50 lost to seals

I fish solo a lot. I’ve landed a few 30 lb fish on my own. First thing I do is slow down the kicker. Even shut it down at some point in the fight. Secondly, get your rigger ball out of the way and the release clip. Third get the other rod out of the water and the dr ball up too. The second rod gets reeled in as I’m playing the fish while it’s in the rod holder. I chuck it on the floor once it’s up and hand line the leader into the boat. Now net ready to go as I’m fighting. I usually turn the rigger in towards the boat on the side I’m landing the fish. Once I get a view of the fish I looked at how well it’s hooked. If it’s swallowed the hook I know I have some time to play with it. If it’s hooked poorly I do everything I can to land it quickly while almost crapping my pants. It can be chaotic and at times I’ll reel it in till it’s tight and stick it in a rod holder while I’m dealing with other ****. It’s risky but works most of the time.

Fish the same way you fish with someone else. Same thing don't net fish when it isn't ready. Biggest thing solo is to have the net within reach all times. When I hook up if I am in crowd I will veer out to get away.

I usually run one rod when solo.
It's too much hassle trying to clear an extra set of gear, and you stand a chance of losing a Tyee.
But having a second rod increases your chance of fighting a tyee!
I keep the kicker in gear to keep tension on. Get away from the crowd and gaff over net!

Not a bad idea... I bet it would be a bit more relaxing of a fishing trip too.

Not a bad idea... I bet it would be a bit more relaxing of a fishing trip too.
I like to fish close to structure/bottom. Lots of up and down on the rigger. It’s to much action for me trying to keep two sets of gear from hanging up. I can keep an eye on the screen with a one hand on the rigger and another on the steering/controls.

I'm sure there's guys way better at this than I am but all I do is when I know its on, I point the boat to deeper water and tow that thing till I see his side 3 times. Then after smashing the net on his head like 5 times, he's pretty much putty in my hands.

I like fishing one rod as its relaxing, but if I am not getting fish that breaks down pretty fast as I wonder if a spoon or a plug would be better than the hootchie or if I deeper or shallower is where I need to be. My boat is short and you really need to pay attention to the helm in currents so it can be pretty crazy. Not that I have a ton of experience catching tyee, but any decent fish.

Always go with your proven best lure/bait on a solo rod.
If you don't get bites, it likely wouldn't matter what was on the other side.....

lol I sometimes fish 3 riggers solo. You just have to be well prepared and organized. I don't bring any other gear in except for the bitten rigger. Keep turning the boat to keep the fish on the clear side.

lol I sometimes fish 3 riggers solo. You just have to be well prepared and organized. I don't bring any other gear in except for the bitten rigger. Keep turning the boat to keep the fish on the clear side.
WHY??? same with that little whaler off sooke he fishes 4 rods by himself and hes out a lot I guess hes realy bad or ??? as your only allowed 10 per year but thats another topic I see so many guys out EVERYDAY by them selfs and still do

Back