Salmon Netting Technique

I actually find this helpful when everyone is fishing together tight so I know who has a fish on and I can move out of their way.
Great strategy so long as the other guys are looking around observing what is going on in the hood. Been rigger'd many times by guys who aren't keeping an eye on what is going on nearby.

Great strategy so long as the other guys are looking around observing what is going on in the hood. Been rigger'd many times by guys who aren't keeping an eye on what is going on nearby.
At least a guy has to try. You’ll never be able to have the guys that are in their own little world and oblivious to all others move and be Courteous

At least a guy has to try. You’ll never be able to have the guys that are in their own little world and oblivious to all others move and be Courteous
You forgot -when fishing in a crowded area by yourself-try to look nonchalant-keep the net hidden-keep the rod tip low-try not to stand-never never stand or give any indication you have a fish on-do not scream or shout.-net it quickly-get your gear back in.-Stealth is the answer-then the crowd will not bother you enabling you to get back on the bait quickly--just a poor old Gaffer enjoying a jigging day on the water!!

What not to do is stand out on your swim grid with no life jacket and reach out with your 8ft long net to get that fish that is apparently more important than your life. Watching this makes me crazy!!

You forgot -when fishing in a crowded area by yourself-try to look nonchalant-keep the net hidden-keep the rod tip low-try not to stand-never never stand or give any indication you have a fish on-do not scream or shout.-net it quickly-get your gear back in.-Stealth is the answer-then the crowd will not bother you enabling you to get back on the bait quickly--just a poor old Gaffer enjoying a jigging day on the water!!
Or…..troll out of the hole and when your far enough away pull out one of these. Wave it around and hoot and holler. Then troll back into the hole when all the same sames head on over to where you caught your fake fish. Trust me, it works. LolIMG_7762.jpeg

What not to do is stand out on your swim grid with no life jacket and reach out with your 8ft long net to get that fish that is apparently more important than your life. Watching this makes me crazy!!
I've got this one buddy who is INSANE when he nets. He will actually lean way out over the side or jump out the door and onto the swim grid. Literally almost falls off the boat just so he can net the fish at the earliest possible moment. Drives me crazy. He actually won the firefighters derby this year, but nobody else got the full horror show netting debacle story he told me. Lets just say that fish was never coming off the line lol.

I’ve netted tons of fish in my time. Never felt the need to be on a swim grid or to reach out for the fish.
It’s a pretty straight forward operation.
Stay out of the way, then net fish from the head when it’s ready and I say so.

I’ve netted tons of fish in my time. Never felt the need to be on a swim grid or to reach out for the fish.
and.....keep your tips up. sorry, couldn't resist.

it’s funny how crazy ppl get when it’s time to net fish. the majority freak out and stab at a fish while it’s still green as can be. while there is an argument to be made about playing out a fish to exhaustion, that’s not really what the OP is asking, i’ll add: try and keep stuff, kids, and snaggy stuff out of the way. it’s amazing how many sets of pliers rod holders cannon balls etc and other crap gets caught in the net leading to more frustration and panic.

Funniest/saddest net story in my lifetime. Fishing the Robber Pass area in Barkley. A middle aged couple from Wash state are in a 17ft Arima and he is playing a fish. He played this fish for a very long, long time...big bite going off we hooked and landed 2 while he battled this one fish. To the point where everyone was watching this guy every time they passed him. Finally the flasher comes up, the wife moves along side him with the net,,,he guides the fish head first towards her..she dips the net and the fish like in slow motion is inside the hoop. But then she doesn't lift the hoop up and leaves it just at water level. The fish bolts over the hoop, the hooks get caught in the net the fish rips free and is gone. She quietly puts the net down and goes up to the bow and just sits there looking at the floor. He stands at the side of the boat, rod still in hand looking down into the water, motionless....for a good minute, saying nothing and not moving. He then calmly just goes about getting back to fishing. We all chuckled on board because we knew that could have gone bad if he didn't compose himself...could have easily been her last trip with him if he opened his mouth.

Got one almost as good ....take's bro inlaw out total neweeb gets a good hit play's the fish tell's him what to do with the net hold bottom of mesh before so not to cause drag...... brings fish over the net and he just lift's with out letting go of the mesh in the process he almost dislocates his shoulder as it's a 24lb spring and he's on a 6' pole ... suffice to say we got the fish but that could of gone sideways .....

another one thats funny and sure many have had is the fish is gone in and straight through as the old mesh has let go had that one happen as well ....lol

Back