Technique for landing big chinooks solo

Play it until it’s on its side, grab the leader with one hand and then gaff it. Using a gaff properly is a lost art, one hard blow is all you have and it has to be successful.

Is there any other way then SOLO ?

This is how I do er on the Sir-Vivor II .....
#1 Bite
#2 Holler "Fish on" (A MUST !)
#2b Put Go Pro chest mount on (don't worry fish will stay on a few more tugs)
#3 Grab Rod and reel
#4 Auto retrieve downrigger (pull off clip , but be damn sure you don't fall out)
#5 leave the damn motor rev where it is and in "F" (oh maybe slow it down as fish gets closer)
#6 Maintain fish on your port side, with your intellestere
#7 Lay net on gunnel
#8 fight fish to gunnel
#9 grab net lift rod and head first fish into net
#10 drop rod, preferable in boat, pull fish in
Weigh fish ...... 30 lber ! AND ENJOY !!!
Beat your chest to the sound of Rocky blaring in the background ;)

Last edited:
WHY??? same with that little whaler off sooke he fishes 4 rods by himself and hes out a lot I guess hes realy bad or ??? as your only allowed 10 per year but thats another topic I see so many guys out EVERYDAY by them selfs and still do

Because it is fun! I don't keep everything I catch, I fish for the fun! Wouldn't do 3 riggers solo through the Otter or Trap crowd. But less frequented areas and far out for cohos - its a hoot!

If I'm on my own I use 9 ft rods. Its already difficult to handle rod in one hand and net in the other, since both items were designed for two handed use. A 10'6 rod makes a hard task even harder.

Agree that crowded zone and seals make it tough, but it's always best to take your time and not try to bring a green fish near the boat. Doubly important when solo, you need time to get the other rod and ball out of the water. Likewise you can't overstress the importance of a good hook set, ever, but it's critical solo.

Bigger fish are way easier to play and land then a smaller fish thats jumping, darting, rolling and just doesn't quit, the big guy will set the hook for you
it will put good solid tension on the line for you and most of all will lay down and say i'm done and ready.. Don't worry about the big ones, just don't
panic have fun playing at the cat and mouse game..

i never get out of the way of crowds it's harder to drag a fish it will actually run in the opposite direction and right in the crowds, just doughnut around
the fish to let everyone know you've got a fish on and get him deep close to the side of the boat..no long lines... most will clue in and make adjustments.

Because it is fun! I don't keep everything I catch, I fish for the fun! Wouldn't do 3 riggers solo through the Otter or Trap crowd. But less frequented areas and far out for cohos - its a hoot!
Fair enough i dont think of coho always assume springs LOL I have way too many friends to ever go alone LOL LOL

good advice everyone.. thanks...

Here's a question related to the original post, what if you had a double header on and your solo? Doesn't happen very often but last week I'd been fishing for 7 hours without any fish in the cooler... Then a double header hits.... I get greedy and wanted to make up for the slow day and tried to get both into the boat... this is the chain of events... would appreciate some feedback to help me improve my chances for next time...

1. Portside rod bounces..... I dart to the stern and grab it... I reel in the slack a few turns and give it a careful yank to set the hook deeper.. Lessen my drag a tad. Hold rod tip high in air to maintain tension..
2. Then starboard side rod starts going off..... This is where I start to get greedy and did a massive brain fart..... I aggressively turn up the throttle on kicker to maintain more tension on lines.... I put first rod in rod holder and grab 2nd rod and repeat step 1.
3. One fish in on the surface and the other fish is still under water.....
4. Then both hooks pop off both fish almost at the same time... I loose both fish and the cursing and swearing doesn't stop for about 10 mins

I increased the throttle on the kicker as a knee jerk reaction to ensure there is tension remained on the 2nd rod so that I didn't loose that fish... But it was too much throttle and it ended in disaster... So thinking back, besides not turning the throttle up, what should I have done differently?

- Should I have just keep the kicker rpm steady and try to land the 1st fish and leave the 2nd rod in the holder? What have you guys done to help your chances of landing both fish on a double header when solo? thanks in advance.

I increased the throttle on the kicker as a knee jerk reaction to ensure there is tension remained on the 2nd rod so that I didn't loose that fish... But it was too much throttle and it ended in disaster... So thinking back, besides not turning the throttle up, what should I have done differently?

Honestly if they came of easly you were probably never going to land them anyways, Its hard always thinking you did something wrong but its just how it goes.

Last edited:
Every situation is going to be different. Current, wind, other boats, what fish decide to do. So no easy answer.
You have to evaluate the situation and react. Main thing is "Don't Panic"... Sounds like you panicked ; )
I will try to get one fish well hooked and tight line. Then put in holder and do the same to the other. I then try to concentrate mostly on the bigger fish with the other in holder. I will reach over to the one in holder and reel tight whenever I can. Pretty much just trying to keep slack from that second fish. I then get riggers out of the way because that will be your next gong show beside the boat. You really have to take your time. Play the fish until YOU are ready to boat them. Easier when they are tired. Don't rush to bringing hot fish to the boat. Enjoy the fight and take your time. They are just fish.

My mantra is "enjoy the moment." You spent a lot of money to set up boat and rig for fishing, and you invested time in being out on the water. Time and money are precious resources, you obviously really want to be fishing. So why hurry when you have a fish on? Enjoy the moment. It's not a race (except maybe with a hungry sea lion around). Don't bring a green fish to the boat, and as @Reeltime says, smaller fish are harder to read. Bigger ones run hard but when they're done, they're done.

Get one rod under control and rigger coming up before thinking about second rod. Let it bounce around in the holder, it will either set the hook itself or it won't.

I fish solo a lot. I’ve landed a few 30 lb fish on my own. First thing I do is slow down the kicker. Even shut it down at some point in the fight. Secondly, get your rigger ball out of the way and the release clip. Third get the other rod out of the water and the dr ball up too. The second rod gets reeled in as I’m playing the fish while it’s in the rod holder. I chuck it on the floor once it’s up and hand line the leader into the boat. Now net ready to go as I’m fighting. I usually turn the rigger in towards the boat on the side I’m landing the fish. Once I get a view of the fish I looked at how well it’s hooked. If it’s swallowed the hook I know I have some time to play with it. If it’s hooked poorly I do everything I can to land it quickly while almost crapping my pants. It can be chaotic and at times I’ll reel it in till it’s tight and stick it in a rod holder while I’m dealing with other ****. It’s risky but works most of the time.
Exactly what Pescador said when solo!

Back