Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2015

They will never be charged for anything out of this,, never happen and they know it. The tax payer will continue to pay for that nice new shiny rope they are throwing down there, those new floats being tied on and the net. The club and tax payers will pay for the divers to clean it up and the garbage they throw down there and if you try and take them to court we will pay for the lawyers on both sides just to hear the bleeding heart story and have it all turned into bad press for the club and fisheries. Seen it played out many, many times already. There isn't a government agency in the country that will even attempt to take this on,, its a joke.

Again this has been taking place and is taking place on many fronts in this country its only because its againts something the general public agrees with that you all find something wrong with it. I am very sorry to say this,, but suck it up and pay,, thats what the rest of us do. We pay with or jobs being lost, our lands being taken, our hunting grounds lost,, its a long list kids.

Sorry Dave H back to yor great thread.

Brief update regarding Tyee and happy to report one was added last nite, a 31 1/2 pounder again.

One new member and one new rookie rower success story too.

Well done.

Here's the scene last night as a stormy day quite swiftly cleaned up just at the right time for a number of rowers to take to the water.
Dodging flotsam created by the high tide howling wind combination was part and parcel of the evening, as were the cruise ships passing by.

And here's the newest fish, rowed by Yari Ivanisko with rod-holder Cory Albrecht, the newest member.

Cory-Albrecht-new-member-31.5-lbs-Sep-1-rowed-by-Yari-Ivanisko-rookie-rower-300x225.jpg

And here's Lisa and John Woodward with their fish from two days ago.

Lisa-Woodward-300x225.jpg

Hopefully this weather will settle down some and we'll get back out there tonite.

Take care.

Up visiting an old friend (tyee fisherman). A 41.5 was taken this morning. Sure are a ton of undersize around. Lots of action and enthusiasm. I saw the whales go through as I was heading South this morning. A pod of Orca's followed by a lone Humpback.

I've been away since Friday AM but I saw Floyds fish and here it is, along with Rookie Rower Brett Gardner.

Well done men and now that's the big Tyee of the year so far.

Floyd-Ross-41-5-lb-Sep-4-2015-rowed-by-Brett-GardnerA-300x225.jpg

Take care.

Tuesday AM and not much new to report.

Someone managed to retrieve another snag trap and I'm told there is one more known but not in a location to be concerned about.

Here's the latest one.
Somebody put some time and effort into creating 10 or so of these things, which would indicate some degree of commitment for sure.
It's a shame it's such a stupid thing to do though, as it has nothing to do with local Food Fishing curtailments due to conservation concerns over Sockeye so to do this as some sort of "protest" is above and beyond ordinary stupid and really should be recognized as being extra special stupid. IMHO.

I rowed myself last nite but not very effectively given the strong steady current we had to row against.

Hard to get your plug out when the boat keeps drifting towards it. LOL

Anyway, maybe tonite.

Take care.

Thanks Guy.

Turned out that tonite was drift your gillnet through the pool nite for a couple of locals, although after two drifts it didn't look like they actually caught any fish.

Later another group of locals banged a drum and serenaded the rowers as we worked our way around the pool.

And, in a nice little in your face move, two new Tyee were registered tonite, a 31 and a 32 1/2 ...............not long after dumb and dumber left with their gillnetter.

Anyone recognize these guys? LOL

Take care.

Dave
Thank you very much for taking us out fishing last night. It was a great experience. Wonderful to see all the boats out and support from the locals. The drumming we heard coming from shore must have called up the 2 Tyee that were landed last night. Wonder if the drummers take requests?
And thanks for all the great pictures and notes you post on this site.
Adios Amigo
Stosh

Dave
Thank you very much for taking us out fishing last night. It was a great experience. Wonderful to see all the boats out and support from the locals. The drumming we heard coming from shore must have called up the 2 Tyee that were landed last night. Wonder if the drummers take requests?
And thanks for all the great pictures and notes you post on this site.
Adios Amigo
Stosh

T'was my pleasure meeting you and Jim and watching the scene with you. Thanks again.

Got a wee problem now as I rowed a lawyer tonite and now he's threatening to sue me for "Breach of Promise" or some such thing.

Claims I promised him a fish. LOL

Quiet but lovely evening tonite with a much more benign current to deal with too.

Might be a little something in the local paper on Friday I've been told.

Check out the Campbell River Mirror online in a couple of days.

Take care.

It's a libel suit you should be worried about spreading nasty rumours like that!

Thanks for taking me out tonight Dave. A late season skunking is exactly what I needed to transition from salmon season to deer season.

A beautiful evening on the water. I always enjoy my time being rowed in the pool. It's so easy being crew. ;)

Best of luck over the last few days.

Dave, I don't understand their right to use motorized boats in the pool. It is a Transport Canada law. Does this mean they can speed on the roadways? not stop at red lights?

Here is a link to a great article and success story. I had a chance to listen to Chief Bear talk 2 weeks ago, and what he has done with his Dakota Whitecap community is amazing. Perhaps some Vancouver Island Chiefs can take a page out of his book.

http://www.leaderpost.com/business/...irst+Nation+success+story/11190550/story.html

Thanks for your thread Dave, we'll see you out there tonight.

Holiday

Dave, I don't understand their right to use motorized boats in the pool. It is a Transport Canada law. Does this mean they can speed on the roadways? not stop at red lights?

Here is a link to a great article and success story. I had a chance to listen to Chief Bear talk 2 weeks ago, and what he has done with his Dakota Whitecap community is amazing. Perhaps some Vancouver Island Chiefs can take a page out of his book.

http://www.leaderpost.com/business/...irst+Nation+success+story/11190550/story.html

Thanks for your thread Dave, we'll see you out there tonight.

Holiday
N'k'Mip band in Osoyoos is also a great success story worth a read

http://oibdc.ca/

The Osoyoos Indian Band is a First Nations government in the Canadian province of British Columbia, located in the town of Osoyoos in the Okanagan valley, approximately four kilometres north of the International Border. They are a member of the Okanagan Nation Alliance. The band controls about 32,000 acres of land in the vicinity of the town of Osoyoos.[SUP][1][/SUP]
The band's Nk'mip Desert Cultural Centre (pronounced “in-Ka-meep”) is located on the east side of Osoyoos. The centre gives tours in the arid region (similar to desert, but actually shrub steppe) and explains the uniqueness of the plant species found there. The current chief of the band is Clarence Louie.[SUP][2][/SUP] Louie has pushed for economic self-reliance by expanding investments, including a vineyard and winery, a four-star resort, and a 9-hole golf course.[SUP][2][/SUP]
There are more than 400 band members who live and work on the reserve

I read the story and threw up in my mouth, and encourage everyone to read very cloesly between the lines.

The crap that Dave H and the rest of the rowers have had to put up with this year is unreal............. and these poor guys in the gillnetter were called bad names the other night, their feelings are hurt? UNREAL! (one of the guys doing the swearing was an ex-friend of Mr Hurt Feelings and fellow band member)

The band is running away from this guy. He doesn't have the food fish permit, Won't admit to the 33 springs he netted in the pool at midnight last week (no lights, no food fish permit). He's made threats on facebook repeatedly, there are lots of pictures of everything, hard evidence with the RCMP, DFO, Food fish treaty group and the band & elders, and all these heads are stuck in the sand, not hearing or seeing anything.

Need some more? Inquire about the elk this offended gentleman has slaughtered outside of the agreed upon band allocation, but I guess all of this is OK if someone swore at him.

(and everyone is forced to tip toe around what has happened, strangled by political correctness, myself included.)

I read the story and threw up in my mouth, and encourage everyone to read very cloesly between the lines.

The crap that Dave H and the rest of the rowers have had to put up with this year is unreal............. and these poor guys in the gillnetter were called bad names the other night, their feelings are hurt? UNREAL! (one of the guys doing the swearing was an ex-friend of Mr Hurt Feelings and fellow band member)

The band is running away from this guy. He doesn't have the food fish permit, Won't admit to the 33 springs he netted in the pool at midnight last week (no lights, no food fish permit). He's made threats on facebook repeatedly, there are lots of pictures of everything, hard evidence with the RCMP, DFO, Food fish treaty group and the band & elders, and all these heads are stuck in the sand, not hearing or seeing anything.

Need some more? Inquire about the elk this offended gentleman has slaughtered outside of the agreed upon band allocation, but I guess all of this is OK if someone swore at him.

(and everyone is forced to tip toe around what has happened, strangled by political correctness, myself included.)

POS!! Freaking clown!

Crab Bait has made a few salient points regarding our gillnetter guy indeed.

I've been told a number of interesting things recently and if true then Nathan is simply continuing on with his personal tradition of being a little ****-disturber, just like he was all through school, according to people who went to school with him.
Apparently he almost always has a backup guy to help him and he's hip to not allowing himself to be caught alone too.
His latest was to visit the Tyee Clubhouse seeking a phone number but carrying a baby with him.
Guess he figures nobody would dare tune him up while he was carrying his son.

I'm also told that he is not a commercial fisherman, does not own the boat he fishes from and is, in fact, only an appointed Food Fisherman for the local band here, who actually own the boat.

I'm also told the band has refused to issue him a Permit to food fish right now and that he didn't have one while fishing the other nite.

As to motoring in the pool, well, he is not above that law at all, given it's a Federal law via Transport Canada.

It's truly a shame that so far this is being allowed to pass without any charges etc. but as far as I know, nobody has been positively identified as the idiot or one of the idiots who dumped the snag traps and without that it will be hard to make a charge stick in court.

Unless and until the local BAND straightens him out we'll just have to grin and bear it I guess.

Or perhaps somebody might talk to him by hand some day too.

Take care.

“Lots of people don’t have fish. We rely on local streams,” Roberts said.

Hey! those people should go behind the CR Superstore, for two weeks in August they were giving away salmon to anyone who wanted them. Apparently those guys had too many fish!

Made the CHEK news tonight (6:30) but no attribution for the traps.
Don't expect DFO to involve themselves.
Wisely I would think to avoid involvement, which would end in a court case, which would, if nothing else, result in another defeat for DFO versus aboriginal rights.
Although the Tyee Pool may have some recognition in law as a special place, it does not have any status as a area to which fishing restrictions need to be applied for conservation purposes, which would, I think, be required for DFO to be able to have special regulations for the area.

If anything, the restrictions on angling in the Tyee Pool are a relic of the colonial past, in which an elitist group of anglers wish to maintain a historical method of angling, without motors but with the services of a gilley to man the oars and provide guidance.

Not trying to rile anybody, but it could just as easily have been a couple of good old boys from Alberta, Vancouver, or Courtenay trolling through the Pool area with downriggers etc that caused the consternation. The response may have been similar, and I too would have been ticked off.

Never fished the Pool, don't expect I ever will, but just having the possibility out there, with the Pool remaining in some degree of purity, is worth preserving, and I hope they can.

Back