Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2015

Randy, Dale and the 30 pounder from two days ago.

P1120602-300x225.jpg

Take care

Thanks to Lippy for help posting pics.

Further to Mako and mooching, there was a long history of motor mooching here until most of the fleets switched to downriggers and took the rod from the anglers hands.

Locally I think Dolphins Resort was the last hold-out who had their guests mostly motor mooch and hold those long mooching rods to sense what was going on, even after everyone else had switched.

From my viewpoint of some 50 plus years here it seems like we caught most of the salmon shallow enough to access by old style trolling or mooching and now people are fishing well over 200 feet down with electric powered downriggers. Just a couple of days ago one of my neighbors was complaining about having to reel in a nice Chinook from 310 feet down. Lots of reeling involved.

Anyway, please do come visit if you can and if it's during Tyee season then I'll find a seat in my boat for you.

Scrambling this year due to unfavorable winds but I usually get most of my rod-holders out at least once.

Thanks again.

Take care.

IMG_0530.jpgHey Dave, Would love to see a picture of your slip weight release method. Seen one method where you use a smaller scotty downrigger clip attached in such a way that it is able to release and still be attached to slide down with the weight.Not sure if this method is used in pool. Dad used these plastic scotty releases for trolling 32 oz weight with around 40 pulls.Just feed mainline through the f shaped piece first then through end of peg and slide wire from weight in middle and slide pin into slot.Went through a lot of led every trip. A few years ago a rower gave me this metal release device,was made by Peetz.Tie onto mainline and pull both ends at same time until you find the slot and slide weight into slot.Not too sure how popular these where.

Maybe I've confused you with the wrong name or something but this is what I use.

Only difference is that the ones I use are in better focus. LOL

Line goes under two wires and is pinched lightly in the circular clip.

I use Maxima Ultragreen 20 lb test which is hard enough to handle the pinching involved.

I also check my lines regularly in case I have pinched things badly or whatever.

Simple and effective.

Take care.

Peetz weights, yea, I have a few in the weight box.

Mooching is going away in my area, most folks now run down riggers or jig with Pt. Wilson Darts, Crippled Herring or similar.

I would rather mooch, although my boat is set up with electric down riggers and I always have a box of jigs handy.

Now I just have to learn the finer points of Tyee fishing with Lucky Louies and Tomic stubbys!

I am even working my way into using single action reels instead of multipliers and I have two blanks for wrapping into B.C. style mooching rods.

Fishing for Salmon, it keeps me busy.

But, I would love living where you are and being able to hear the Tyee Bell ringing!

I enjoy your Tyee Pool posts, keep them coming!

From my viewpoint of some 50 plus years here it seems like we caught most of the salmon shallow enough to access by old style trolling or mooching and now people are fishing well over 200 feet down with electric powered downriggers. Just a couple of days ago one of my neighbors was complaining about having to reel in a nice Chinook from 310 feet down. Lots of reeling involved.
The biggest complaint about reeling in a fish from that depth is how boring the fight is......... They just seem to go numb once they have been hauled up more than 150 feet.......

Greetings again and here's where we are to date, unless someone snuck one in the past two hours.

We have six Tyee now with the last two each weighing 31 1/2 pounds, exactly the same as the one disqualified I mentioned earlier.

However, there have been good numbers of undersized fish and there appears to be a good number of fish in the pool now so perhaps there are some Tyee amongst them.

Seven undersize this morning, about the same yesterday and the day before. They all seem to be four year old fish and range mostly from 22 to 29 pounds.

Nice fish though and this gal seemed happy with her 26 pounder.

Also found one of the old Painter rowboats in its final resting place, the new seniors home here called Berwick By The Sea.

Donated by Joe Watson it hangs from the ceiling up on the sixth floor in the lounge. Also some really neat historic old photos of the Tyee fishery and some logging related ones also.

I couldn't read the inscription on the plaque on this display so can't share what it says, but it's a neat exhibit.

Back in the days when men were men and sheep were nervous..............

Take care.

The boys in the logging photo have their sighting sticks set up. It is the triangle looking thing. Place the long legs at the extreme of the undercut and sight along the two pins that hinge the contraption together. Gives an indication of where the tree will fall. Adjust the undercut accordingly until the sighting sticks point to where you want the fall.

That tree looks like a Redwood must be a California photo.

So Dave how did you resist the urge to hop up and grab that plug?

Wasn't so much as I resisted hopping up there as simply a case of not being able to hop that high anymore.

Here's one of the 31 1/2 pounders from last nite, this one rowed by a Painters Lodge guide named Rick Janzen.

Well done Rick.

James-Newman-31-5-lb-Aug-21-300x225.jpg

And here's the other 31 1/2 pounder self-rowed by Jules. They actually had a double-header with two fish on at the same time. Both were boated but one was only 24 pounds.

Jules-LaCroix-31-5-lb-Aug-21-2015-rowed-by-himself-300x225.jpg

Take care.

Last edited:
This has consistently been my favourite thread to follow over the last while, I have a real thing for nostalgia of most any kind.

It seems to me that there is a good number of Tyee coming in this year and correct me if I am wrong but more than last year. Is this true are there more coming in so far this year as to years past. Is there somewhere a guy could look at the numbers that have been awarded over the years just so a person could get an idea on the state of the fishery.

Thx Dave and love following this thread,, please keep it up.

Here ya go.......and I gotta go too.
Meeting a fellow and his nine year old nephew.
I so want to have the kid hook a fish.

http://www.tyeeclub.org/catch-records/catch-records-history/

The records before the dates online are all in a ledger in the clubhouse, but you have to be here to enjoy those.

Take care,

Home again and again fishless.

Lots of boats hanging off the bar on the little flood with most dangling spoons.

RD Berger rowed a lady to another Tyee tonite, a 32 pounder on a spoon. First of the year from the distaff side and again, just a low 30's.

Didn't see anything else caught but a lovely evening to be out regardless, although it was weedy, as is often the case in the early flood stage.

Next time..........spoons for me.

Take care.

Will be up for a Row with Roy on Thur. evening Dave. Hope to see you out there.

Tell Roy to stay far away from me because I think somebody sprayed my boat with salmon repellant or something. lol

Pleased to report Tyee number eight was recorded this AM. Rowed by Ross Spiers and boated by Bill Tomicki it weighed 37 1/2 pounds, which is second largest now.

I don't know the real number as to how many Ross has rowed over the years, but it's not a small one for sure.

We'll get'em tonite.

Take care.

Thanks again for the lovely evening Dave, my nephew and I had a wonderful time. Best of luck tonight and I am sure it will be your turn soon.

You're most welcome Teal.

Pleased to report one more 31 pounder as Peter Winter rowed trusty rod-holder Rick Gunn to one first thing this morning.

And here's a pic of the 37 1/2 pounder from two days ago.

Bill-Tomicki-37-5-lbs-Aug-23-rowed-by-Ross-Spiers-300x226.jpg

And here's Rick and Peter with the latest Tyee this morning.

P1120633-300x225.jpg

I rowed Burt and his wife Sylvia last nite to no avail.

Having rowed Burt to a 35 back in 2012 I would love to get Sylvia in the club too.

Next time......

Take care.

Another anniversary outing tonite as I rowed Aaron, proud rod-holder who boated a 45 pounder two years ago with me along with a hopeful newby named Jim.

Alas, despite covering a pretty good swath with only one entanglement and checking out the latest hot area of the pool we came up nearly empty.

Nearly because we managed a mighty Kelp Greenling to boat-side under the deft rod-handling of Jim, the new guy.

Knowing even Donald Trump couldn't possibly pass it off as a Tyee we released it.

This morning brought huge excitement as eight fish came to the beach and the weigh-master was kept busy for a spell.

In keeping with this year's theme of many but small, they weighed 29 3/4 pounds, 29 pounds, 29 pounds, 27 pounds 25 pounds and so on.

Close but no Tyee.

Unofficially there have been 50 or so fish caught that were less than 30 pounds so far this year.

Nothing to report from anyone else tonite unless someone weighed in very late as we rowed to dark.

More tomorrow.

Take care.

Great to hear so many fish are being caught thou Dave, however it would be great to hear that the bell is ringing far more.

Good luck for the last couple of weeks...

Guy

Thanks Guy and perhaps your good wishes helped because we got bit tonite but alas, after a short scrappy fight the fish squirmed off right at boat-side. Had it been two feet closer I would have had a shot at netting it whilst it was unhooked, but it wasn't and I didn't.

By the way, that act would have disqualified it had it been a Tyee, but it obviously wasn't so no great loss other than the eating part.

Saw several other fish hooked with a couple lost and a couple boated, judging from the sounds from one of the boats as the fish pounded its tail against the floorboards after being deftly netted and brought aboard while still full of fight.

It was not a happy camper, and it was not a Tyee either.

Nice night with just a sprinkle of rain and fewer boats than last nite from my quick observation.

I have some other news for interested anglers and followers of this thread but will hold off until I get some more confirmation of what I've been told.
It's not pretty.

Take care.

Back