Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

Nearly 9:30 PM on a Friday night and the first time I've felt normal in weeks.
But enough about me.

THE SEASON OF 2022..........sigh.

I wish it wasn't over and yet I'm glad it is, considering the season we just suffered through.
Much like the proverb related to March, the season, albeit late starting, came in like a Lion and left like a lamb, with the last Tyee registered on September 2nd.

Mike Stutzel showed his dedication, skills and knowledge in rowing two of the six Tyee registered this year, including the first one and then the largest one.
This made him the rower who accounted for the Tyee Man Trophy and the Gavin Chisholm Trophy, both won by John Bentham, the rodman with Mike when they boated their 40 lb. 14 oz. beauty.
Well done gentlemen.
View attachment 85230
By rowing the lovely Darla Hunt to the first fish of the season as well as the largest fish registered by a female, Mike also accounted for the Lillian J Sparrow Trophy and the Les McDonald Award, both won by Darla. Their fish weighed 34 lbs. and 10 ounces.
Well done indeed.
View attachment 85231

Aside from the four other Tyee registered it was a very quiet year for the majority of us, although I personally got off to a good start, rowing my most successful rod-holder to another fish, albeit a bit undersized at 27 lbs. and some ounces.
Fought really well and at a glance and at a distance it looked like it could be big enough, being a full-bodied fish with a big tail, but alas, too short by two inches to be the first Tyee of the year.
Merv seemed happy enough, seen here practicing for when we get a real one.
View attachment 85232

Faithful readers will have noted I didn't row much after August 26th, in fact I rowed but once since that date, but I don't feel I missed much being on the beach and on painkillers, as it was obvious there were no fish holding in the pool to speak of, neither Tyee nor undersized, and by the last week many rowers were heading off to what is called "downtown" by the rowing crew, where there were at least a few fish holding.
This area is north off the fishing pier and near the ferry terminal, and sometimes holds fish well, but rarely of Tyee size so it was mostly with the mindset of getting a fish for the freezer that a dozen or so rowers ventured down there several recent evenings.

Finally, thanks to all of you who took the time to comment about or add on to this annual bit of self-indulgence.
I appreciate all of you.

We'll get'em next year.

Take care.
Dave
Once again I very much enjoyed your great reports from the pool ~ just not as many as we all had hoped for.
Nobody does it better.
Stay well Amigo
Adios
Stosh (one time rod holder) here’s hoping there’s a next time!

It doesn't matter how productive the fishing is, your "Tales from the Tyee poll", is the best read every year, and myself and many others thoroughly enjoy your stories. Fingers crossed next year the fishing is more productive and your aches and pains have healed. Thanks again for taking the time to share with us.

Is there any analysis of the fish that made it up stream and their size to see if it was just a bad year size wise or they did infact just head upstream rather than hold in the pool?
None that I'm aware of relative to your question.

I'm told there were perhaps a thousand more Chinook up the river but below where DFO swims and counts, so as yet it's not known the ratios of large to smaller, something I'm not sure about even actually being counted, or the total return numbers.

Lots to analyze.

Take care.

Thanks Dave for the thoughtful and entertaining posts. Favourite thread for me, and many others.

Sly

Once again I have enjoyed your wonderful comments about fishing in the Tyee Pool and thank you for keeping us all informed and entertained. Hope your back is soon pain free and look forward to you manning your beautiful boat next year when I'm certain your Rod Holders will be rewarded with not only your humorous stories - but Big Fish! TYEE FISH!! Cheers until next time. [Tyee not exactly as shown] 🦈

None that I'm aware of relative to your question.

I'm told there were perhaps a thousand more Chinook up the river but below where DFO swims and counts, so as yet it's not known the ratios of large to smaller, something I'm not sure about even actually being counted, or the total return numbers.

Lots to analyze.

Take care.
Dave
Do many rowers continue to fish in the pool during the rest of September?
Thanks
Stosh

Pretty close to scratching the boat and applying more varnish plus replacing my lines this year so need to get at that, too.

Praying for good returns with some size.
There has been decent pasture in the North Pacific the past few years but there is a large El Nino starting up now and that usually means poor pasture looking forward.
Hoping some fatter fish show and that Hydro doesn't spill water at night again.
That screwed us last year methinks.

See you all soon.

Take care.

Back