Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2015

First the good news.

Randy K rowed his fourth Tyee of the season this morning and made a new member for the Tyee Club, one Ginnie Harrington.

Good stuff!!

P1120640-300x225.jpg

And now for the bad news.

Recently a couple of older rowers with many years experience and knowledge snagged something in waters where they normally never should have been near the bottom or on kelp.

A treasured spoon was lost by one and word to be on the lookout for a new "snag" in that area was passed around.

At low tide one recent morning one of the boats stayed out later than the rest of the fleet and, on their way back in, spotted a number of floats hanging a few feet underwater at low tide.

This was reported and upon investigation and a thorough dragging of the area with a grapple hook 10 deliberately constructed and placed snag traps were removed from the north end of the Tyee Pool.

These were constructed from old fish net made roughly into a basket which then received about 30 lbs of rocks for weight. A short line, 10' or so, was attached to this and then a float to the line.

Each line had several large loops hanging from it which would trail in the current and present an effective "snag" to rowboaters trolling in the pool.

A few others have been spotted and I'm told one near the south end will be removed today.

I haven't seen one myself as yet, but will take a pic when I do.

It is alleged that the three guys in this boat, who insist on running through the pool and giving the finger to onlookers, are the one who have been dumping these snags.

In fact, they have been observed doing it and an RCMP file has now been opened on the case.

Here's a pic of the boat and crew. It's deliberately one of my faraway shots but I have clear close-ups of these guys and they are readily identifiable. However, I'm not convinced I should post those pics at this time.

Quite baffling to many of us as to why these guys feel compelled to do this crap now, given the Tyee Club has been here for 91 years or so etc. etc. but nonetheless, that's the rough story at the moment.

It's almost as if somebody wants a confrontation in order to establish something via the courts in the end, although having noted the behaviour of these guys I doubt any of them is clever enough to have a bigger agenda than simply being a pain in the butt.

Puzzling indeed.

Take care.

Last edited:
Dave that is crazy! Would it happen to be related (persons or problems) to the seine of the pool a year or two ago in protest of the sockeye not being open?

Seine dead skiff, who would have access to one of those? If they are members of the CR family I'm thinking of, be very careful in calling them out.

Dave that is crazy! Would it happen to be related (persons or problems) to the seine of the pool a year or two ago in protest of the sockeye not being open?

More or less related as to the "reason" this was done with the rationale being they are annoyed "because all those rowboats are fishing and we are shut down for Sockeye conservation."

So let's express our displeasure by doing what they did seems to have been the next step in whatever passes for logic in that braintrust.

As to names and the like, that's why I didn't post the close-up I have of the alleged perps, to avoid any claim that I named or showed their recognizable faces to the public.

I have shown the close-ups to a couple of people who may or may not be related to two of them, but both refused to "rat them out" as they put it.

It matters little as the authorities know who they are, so it's just a matter of whether anything can or will be done.

We live in interesting times indeed.

Take care.

I thought as much. It is too bad because the CR fishing community is generally full of good people who go out of their way to help each other, not mess with each other. Unfortunately the common brain sense possessed by most of us seems to have skipped this particular person (or persons) genome. They don't seem to understand that targeting this small percentage of the local fishing community won't get them anywhere or make them any friends in the community. It also damages the reputation of a very prominent family and community (within a community) which I am sure is frustrating for them as well.
I hope it all gets sorted out soon as this kind of thing gets old really quick.

I thought as much. It is too bad because the CR fishing community is generally full of good people who go out of their way to help each other, not mess with each other. Unfortunately the common brain sense possessed by most of us seems to have skipped this particular person (or persons) genome. They don't seem to understand that targeting this small percentage of the local fishing community won't get them anywhere or make them any friends in the community. It also damages the reputation of a very prominent family and community (within a community) which I am sure is frustrating for them as well.
I hope it all gets sorted out soon as this kind of thing gets old really quick.

AMEN to that.

That is absolutely ridiculous, and is a pathetic display! I only hope there is some consequences for there actions this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to see them hung for running through the pool at least. Thought that was done with after a couple of elderly friends of mine were run over several years back.

I take it it's the same crew that tried to run a set through the pool a few years ago. Thoughtless Goons!

That is absolutely ridiculous, and is a pathetic display! I only hope there is some consequences for there actions this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope don't count on it.. They are getting away with this kind of garbage accross the whole country just now thats its affecting something you like its annoying you.. Join the club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those on the recreational fishing side should just continue to take the high road and let them eventually hang themselves. The pubic will side with the Tyee Club members once something so crappy is done that enforcement officials do become involved, charges are contemplated and the media gets involved. They will then **** off their own for the bad press their community gets over this stupidity.

Profisher is wise.

Here's a couple of pics of what the devices look like so you'll have an idea of what we've been dealing with lately.

Somebody has too much time on their hands to go with a damaged mental capacity it seems.

This is stretched out to show the length involved.

Here's two in a wheelbarrow showing the size of rocks used for weight and 20 lb. test breaks off on this much.

Also appears that one of the more prominent yappers on Facebook is simply that, a yapper. It's a couple of others not of that family name who seem to be the dummies, according to people who know.

Take care.

Snagging someone's prize Lucky Louie or Stewart Spoon is a crime of great proportions!

And what a waste of good rope and floats.

9 devices recovered after a diver was sent down in the Tyee Pool. A couple of these floats were breaking the surface at low tide, and could pose a real navigation hazard if they wash down to the river mouth. The thought of a boat or floatplane snagging one of these while transiting the river mouth is scary. There's lots of tide action in the area, and increased current flow from the river with the recent rains. Old plugs and spoons are valuable, but not as much as a boaters life.

This stunt was a damn dangerous thing to do.

Because it involves local FN persons "concerned" over the sockeye food fishery, and ownership of the Campbell River and it's fish, little will/can be done. The only effective pressure that can be imposed is from within the band, as it was last time a gill net was set in the pool. I am really surprised the band wants the bad press that will come from this.

***** TAKE NOTE ****** The Tyee Club removed 40-60 tons of decades old wood/garbage from the mouth of our Campbell River mouth this past winter. This is how we are repaid?

Sorry for the sideline Dave, back to the fishing!

Thanks for that post indeed crab bait. Much appreciated.

Happy to report another Tyee last nite, a 32 1/2 pounder by Lisa Woodward and rowed by John.

Well done.

This morning I watched as Jim Clewes cleaned another heart-breaker at 29 pounds something ounces.

Lots of unders this year for sure although my trusty rod-holders and I have failed to boat any of them ourselves to date.

Out again last nite with a most dynamic looking sky and tons of flotsam in the water. Bit of a bite with several hook-ups but only the one Tyee.

We'll get 'em yet.

Take care.

9 devices recovered after a diver was sent down in the Tyee Pool. A couple of these floats were breaking the surface at low tide, and could pose a real navigation hazard if they wash down to the river mouth. The thought of a boat or floatplane snagging one of these while transiting the river mouth is scary. There's lots of tide action in the area, and increased current flow from the river with the recent rains. Old plugs and spoons are valuable, but not as much as a boaters life.

This stunt was a damn dangerous thing to do.

Because it involves local FN persons "concerned" over the sockeye food fishery, and ownership of the Campbell River and it's fish, little will/can be done. The only effective pressure that can be imposed is from within the band, as it was last time a gill net was set in the pool. I am really surprised the band wants the bad press that will come from this.

***** TAKE NOTE ****** The Tyee Club removed 40-60 tons of decades old wood/garbage from the mouth of our Campbell River mouth this past winter. This is how we are repaid?

Sorry for the sideline Dave, back to the fishing!

Being FN should not even be considered a factor here. Somebody needs to catch these scumbags on camera actually dumping this crap in so they can all be arrested and charged with dumping garbage in a waterway, destroying salmon habitat, and vandalism or even attempted murder. Is it seriously going to come to somebody getting snagged on the rope, overturning, and drowning to get something changed/done about this? They literally need to have the book thrown at them. I really hope to hear of some positive progress on this in the future and hopefully not a tragedy. Stay safe out there guys and gals.

Back