Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

No kidding how many Chinook salmon would 9.5 add to the SRKW dinner table?

Exactly. Half can go to compensation for closing fish farms. The other Half to habitat restoration And hatcheries

Plan To Boost Duwamish Fall Chinook Production By 2 Million Going Out For Comment
Federal fishery overseers are laying out how much orcas and fishermen would benefit under a proposal to boost hatchery Chinook production in the Green-Duwamish River by 2 million smolts.

FEDERAL OVERSEERS WILL CONSIDER A PLAN TO BOOST PRODUCTION OF DUWAMISH-GREEN FALL CHINOOK BY 2 MILLION. (ANDY WALGAMOTT)

According to a NOAA draft supplemental environmental statement that will soon go out for public comment, the increase would provide an additional 8,750 adult salmon for the starving Washington whales to snack on, recreational and tribal fishermen to catch, and for broodstock purposes.

That and other hatchery salmon and steelhead programs already approved for the King County river system “would have a moderate positive effect on the diet, survival, distribution, and listing status of Southern Resident killer whales,” the DEIS states.

It’s the second time this particular set of Chinook, coho, chum and winter- and summer-run steelhead programs is being scrutinized in recent years.

Earlier, four alternatives proposed by WDFW and two local tribes were analyzed, but with this year’s major focus on ailing orcas, it was resubmitted with an “Alternative 5.”

Green-Duwamish Chinook were identifiedas among the most important current feedstocks for orcas.

NOAA’s new DEIS says the additional smolts would yield nearly 3,300 more sport fishing trips and around $580,000 in expenditures, mostly in the region the agency is calling the South Puget Sound subregion, but also in the North Sound and Straits.

And it would yield around 2,300 more Chinook for mostly local tribal fishermen.

The extra salmon would be reared at WDFW’s Soos Creek Hatchery and released upstream at Palmer Ponds.

“Alternative 5 would not affect the overall trend in cumulative effects on salmon and steelhead, although it may increase the adverse cumulative effect on the genetics of natural-origin fall-run Chinook salmon. However, this cumulative impact would not substantially add to the cumulative impacts compared to the other alternatives because the increase in production would represent a small component of the total abundance of fall-run Chinook salmon in the cumulative effects analysis area,” the DEIS states.

Overall hatchery Chinook production in the watershed would be 6.2 million smolts.

The comment period begins Dec. 7 and runs for 45 days through Jan. 22. You can send your thoughts three ways:

Email:
GreenHatcheriesEIS.wcr@noaa.gov

Mail:
Allyson Purcell, Comment Coordinator
NMFS, West Coast Region
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
1201 Northeast Lloyd Boulevard, Suite 1100
Portland, OR 97232

I think you meant J-pod, they are the ones that hang around here over the winter. K&L-pod are the ones that migrate south along the coast.
https://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedFiles/Events/Meetings/MMT_2015/Presentations/3.1 PPT ProgramReviewSRKWDistributionDiet071515MBHv2.pdf
760f65_adc0b955a72c4cb0b80e123c2370ce82~mv2.gif

Do you have a paper or a website that shows genetic evidence that the population never exceed 100? I have not run across that but what I have seen mention is that they estimate that in the late 1800's it is thought to be around 200.

No one in the late 1800's actually knew the difference between one pod and another, so that reference is not reliable. I was in a seminar with Dr. Trites who talked about the genetic research results which demonstrated the population was never more than 100 animals back beyond the 1960's when we actually started studying them and reliably tracking the population.

Just so we're clear here, I care about the Orcas. I would just rather not have the media fuel the fire with embellishments of a less than dire situation. Just think how much better that story would have been if they even hinted at the fact that it is questionable weather or not ANY intervention is even necessary. Let alone fishing closures. Now THAT would be a great story.

For sure, totally agree. Unfortunately some groups are feeding the media with information that is not correctly framing the facts. There is no doubt that SRKW are appearing to be in transition, and do require some help. The problem is we have some mis-information out there as to what are the best known problems and of course meaningful solutions...and also just how imminent the problem really is. So there are likely more questions than real answers here, and what is really needed is long term funding to properly study and assess the actual problems so that we can develop solutions that will actually work. Right now the hysteria being advanced is detracting from taking slow, measured and science-based steps to actually help SRKW...if they can even be helped by humans. We are assuming that meddling will somehow make a difference - what if our meddling makes it worse?

For sure, totally agree. Unfortunately some groups are feeding the media with information that is not correctly framing the facts. There is no doubt that SRKW are appearing to be in transition, and do require some help. The problem is we have some mis-information out there as to what are the best known problems and of course meaningful solutions...and also just how imminent the problem really is. So there are likely more questions than real answers here, and what is really needed is long term funding to properly study and assess the actual problems so that we can develop solutions that will actually work. Right now the hysteria being advanced is detracting from taking slow, measured and science-based steps to actually help SRKW...if they can even be helped by humans. We are assuming that meddling will somehow make a difference - what if our meddling makes it worse?

Totally agree, all the lies and half truths the leaf lickers put out there gets gobbled up by the ill informed. Just look at the gbear hunt, closed, not based on science but pure emotion, once the whale stuff dies down and they get their way, it will be black bears next, then wolves then ultimately no hunting at all. The wife and i were redoing our wills when she was first diagnosed with cancer, call the vancouver humane society, they gave me a lecture that i/we should not kill a living animal (not even a trout for a shore lunch), we are a vegan office. I said Go FYS, no money in the will for them!!!! We have a hard fight ahead folks. Searun i appreciate all that you and folks like Derby do to try and right this ship.

There is no doubt that SRKW are appearing to be in transition, and do require some help. The problem is we have some mis-information out there as to what are the best known problems and of course meaningful solutions...and also just how imminent the problem really is. So there are likely more questions than real answers here, and what is really needed is long term funding to properly study and assess the actual problems so that we can develop solutions that will actually work. Right now the hysteria being advanced is detracting from taking slow, measured and science-based steps to actually help SRKW...if they can even be helped by humans. We are assuming that meddling will somehow make a difference - what if our meddling makes it worse?

After watching quite a few of the presentations from the recent symposium at UBC I would have to say my impression was there is quite a bit of research going on looking at the SRKW, seals and other issues affecting marine mammals and the fishery. Certainly much of the evidence in the symposium is that marine mammals in general along the BC coast are doing well, with the exception of the SRKW. But with more being known about them and their habits its quite apparent they aren't really "BC whales" as much as they are US whales. The Northern Residents are the ones that spend the most time in BC. and by far the most frequent visitors to the Salish sea are transient whales coming in and hunting seals and sea lions. Dr Trites talked about how much time many of the Southern residents spend in US waters, and in particular the likely effect the loss of early season Chinook native to rivers from Northern California up to the Fraser river may have had. Huge historic early runs from the Sacramento, Klamath and Columbia basin have been decimated, but the Southern residents evolved going south to feed on those runs so they still do, and are in consistently worse shape than their Northern cousins. These scientists are saying widespread fishing closures are unlikley to do much for SRKW, but there is a rationale for providing some reduced noise and traffic zones in habitat that is truly critical at the time it is actually being used.

Dr Trites did lament the use of the SRKW as a political football by all sides . Anti Pipeline people use them as a reason to not have pipelines despite the fact those are unlikely to affect them, antifishing groups use them as an argument to stop fishing despite the evidence showing widespread closures are not likely to help them, and the new anti seal group uses them as a reason to slaughter seals despite the evidence showing that is unlikely to help the SRKW either, and it will likely hurt the transient whales.

Please don't completely blow me out of the water on my thinking out loud with this, but..
There are no easy solutions for Sport Fishers AND Whale Watcher on what part they play in saving the Southern Resident Orca’s and we all fear further restrictions!
Putting more salmon into the ocean like Profisher and his group are doing is a good move, but it looks like more non productive restrictions may be coming down the pike for Sport Fishers.
In a world of compromise, could this idea be considered??

“Sport Fishing and Whale Watchers will only be allowed in designated area’s during specific hours on specific days.”

I do understand that agreeing on hours and days that are anything then less then all daylight hours and every day will be a challenge.
The truth is the impact of Sport Fishers is minimal on the resident Orca’s and the current restrictions will do little to nothing to solve the problem, but we need to reach some kind of politically correct position that will fly with the general public.

Fogged, do you not think it better that we demand the politics and self interest agendas stop and that everyone gets on board a
scientifcally proven solution to both the SRKW and Fraser Chinook problems. Especially DFO. Otherwise this will never end.

Fogged, do you not think it better that we demand the politics and self interest agendas stop and that everyone gets on board a
scientifcally proven solution to both the SRKW and Fraser Chinook problems. Especially DFO. Otherwise this will never end.

Can't disagree with you especially when you look at what co operation has produced so far.
We really got stabbed in the back when they moved the line from Sheringham to Otter.
"we demand " however in my opinion will not produce the results we are hoping for.
The BIG question remains, how can Sport Fishers maintain fair access to wild salmon?
If we could get Sheringham and Otter thru to East Pt. at Renfrew open at select times on select days that in my opinion would be a big win.
If they are about to close down the west and or other area's, same could be said.
My fear and expectation is we will end up with the short end of the stick AGAIN!!

I still like the idea of “fish here but if whales are present you must keep a distance of x meters and shut off electronics.”

The bubble makes way more sense because it keeps boats back from them where ever they are...instead of for a few hours a few days of the year while they are in a specific area. I just have a differing opinion on how the bubble should be structured to align with other user groups that already have their own bubble.

My view is simply that all vessel operators need to avoid killer whales, and in particular SRKW. We know the science is pointing to physical and acoustic disturbance as a critical threat to SRKW, and also when vessels are in close proximity to foraging whales they disrupt their success acquiring prey. Simple solution is avoid whales, period. I really don't care who the vessel operator is, the responsible thing to do is stay back, stop whatever activity you are doing, turn off your sounder and slowly move away to a safe distance that eliminates physical and acoustic threats. We are loving these animals to death. They aren't here for our amusement.

Back