Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Searun that message of: not caring who it is and pushing for all operators to avoid whales is fine.......so long as you are prepared to in turn accept those other groups saying; they don't care who it is all operators should stay away from their food.

Almost 10,000 jobs are at stake as well as the survival of several small coastal communities that base their economies on recreational fishing and tourism.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/1...aten-vancouver-island-livelihoods-say-groups/

Another article that I find frustrating in that it doesn't explain why so many believe that these 10,000 jobs don't need to be put 'at stake' and why threatening the survival and livelihoods in these small coastal communities [by closing rec fishing] is not only unnecessary but more specifically will do nothing to help the whales. Reading this article just makes it look like the small coastal BC communities are too concerned about themselves and their own local survival and don't care about the whole picture of taking steps to help the whales when in fact the point is why damage the economy of BC communities by taking actions that will not help the whales anyway.

This Dr. Lance Barrett - Lennard from Ocean -Wise in the video looks to have no knowledge of the recreational sector and their actual take each year. I suspect there might have been some creative editing in that Citynews video as I just can't believe that there is a researcher still claiming that all sport fishing in southern BC should be stopped to provide enough food for SRKW. As Dr. Trites has mentioned several times, that the Salish Sea does carry enough Chinook to provide SRKW for the 2-3 months that they are here and that it is more about interference from noise and boats causing interference in foraging efficiency . Lack of food (Chinook) south of the border where SRKW spend 10 months of the year looks to be a big part of the issue. Very interesting that Dr. Lance Barrett - Lennard would be seen looking in this video to be quite uninformed on the topic (as compared to Dr. Andrew Trites and Dr Brian Riddell)

I have heard from a career Canadian naval sonar expert who trained with the Americans tracking subs....that JDF strait is polluted with noise. But he has said that most of it comes from bigger and deeper in the water ships with multiple diesel power plants running within them. That noise bounces from below the thermocline to the bottom back and forth up and down and takes a long time to disapate. Shallow running boats (planing hulls) produce noise that radiates out from the source, goes down to the thermocline and bounces off and heads to the surface where it ends..as there is nothing to bounce it back downward again. So this noise stays near the surface and is short lived.

Another article that I find frustrating in that it doesn't explain why so many believe that these 10,000 jobs don't need to be put 'at stake' and why threatening the survival and livelihoods in these small coastal communities [by closing rec fishing] is not only unnecessary but more specifically will do nothing to help the whales.

There are a lot of issues with the messaging of the article. There’s no context on the uunderlying issue and also a few “alternative facts” that mislead the general audience.
But on the positive side, there’s widespread broadcasting of the campaign and the ongoing activities with the BC CoC.

I know its not cool to bring up politics but I smell BS written all over these closures. What a sham asking for vested interest groups to give input before DFO made their final decision. They already knew they were going to close these areas but went thru the motions of fishing community input. Hell the DFO website had a video of the fed minister announcing the closures months ago. Its smacks of federal optics. Closing fishing areas will give the feds the best mileage for whatever agenda they've cooked up. They may as well be saying...... " who cares the science doesn't add up.....close enoughhh..... ssso wwwhat if a few fishers can see thru the BS......the enviros are lovin it.... the press is lapping it up.... they can see we're on top of this pipel..... ahh.....SRKW thing.
Okkkk....we are looking good!!! ............Oh ya, what's that???.....fishers, communities, ahhh suffering, voters???......Crap....yes voters.... you're right.....almost forgot about those slackers.......ok lets toss in a fishbone with these closures or we'll have them puking on us.......just this year though.... we'll get more spin for 2020 .....maybe quote some new science...............are we bitchin good at this or what???

In today’s Times Colonist,
https://www.timescolonist.com/business/island-fishers-fight-back-against-salmon-closures-1.235220

"Scott Wallace, David Suzuki Foundation senior research scientist, said there is a distinction between an area being identified as important to killer whales and the introduction of closures, which have not (yet) been announced."
“It was only last year where there were some fishing closures put into place and only for a small part of the area [off Sooke].
o mention of the Sidney area closures.
sooke diff..png
These are the facts….

The whole area above remained open for commercial crabbers, whale watchers
and ALL other marine traffic but closes for all Sport Fishing.

Over 40 klm of shoreline and 8 favorite fishing spots closed to all fishing including halibut fishing off anchor!

Pt. No Pt.
Sheringham
Muir Creek
Tugwell Creek
1st Rock
2nd Rock
3rd Rock
The Beach

Less then 10 klm of shoreline and only 3 favorite fishing spots remained open.
Secretary Is.
The Bluffs
East side of Otter (Wells a Weary)

In today’s Times Colonist,
https://www.timescolonist.com/business/island-fishers-fight-back-against-salmon-closures-1.235220

"Scott Wallace, David Suzuki Foundation senior research scientist, said there is a distinction between an area being identified as important to killer whales and the introduction of closures, which have not (yet) been announced."
“It was only last year where there were some fishing closures put into place and only for a small part of the area [off Sooke].
o mention of the Sidney area closures.
View attachment 41794
These are the facts….

The whole area above remained open for commercial crabbers, whale watchers
and ALL other marine traffic but closes for all Sport Fishing.

Over 40 klm of shoreline and 8 favorite fishing spots closed to all fishing including halibut fishing off anchor!

Pt. No Pt.
Sheringham
Muir Creek
Tugwell Creek
1st Rock
2nd Rock
3rd Rock
The Beach

Less then 10 klm of shoreline and only 3 favorite fishing spots remained open.
Secretary Is.
The Bluffs
East side of Otter (Wells a Weary)
Hopefully someone gets a response published with the actual facts. ENGO’s seem to rely on convincing the public with half truths and cherry picked science.

Fogged..and now there will be an Oyster farm lease operating just inside Possession Pt which may interfere with fishing there.

seal harvest! time! bring back the balance!

A message from the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society

Wow, sounds like people are now seeing clearly we are in the midst of an environmental salmon disaster of the likes not seen since The Hell's Gate Slide and the great Fraser Canyon slide hundreds of years prior. Archeological digs have shown salmon vertibrate devoid for decades from excavations in midden layers after slide.

43,000,000 Chinook, coho along with millions of pounds other salmon, steel head and other fin fish are devoured by the over population of Pinnipeds in our south coast each year.

Pacific Balance Pinniped Society with help of this Winters food herring seine fishers have been bringing to all of you the indicators of exploding sea lion hordes throughout the Salish Sea.

Our society has brought forth local reports from throughout the coast backed up with reports and data compiled by scientists that there's a great need for an expanded First Nation harvest of a good percentage of the Pinniped infestation.

Maybe this is the reality kick in the pocket book that everyone needs to see looming before them to act? How you say?

Contact our organization or one of our directors to set up a meeting to hear us out. If you think your financial well being is going to be effected or your pleasure to recreationally fish, then best share this post.

Time for people to look in the mirror and to one another and say, "There is no cavelery coming over them hills to save us, but I hear there's a pile of Indians ready to help save us from the hordes of pinnipeds consuming my way of life daily."

1.2 MILLION pounds of fish each 24 hour period being gobbled up by over 47,000 invasive California Sea Lions in our waters. Don't believe me? Then find me an archaeologist or an archaeological report that shows California Sea Lion bones found in a B.C. excavation to date.

Environmental organizations a.k.a. corporations need to be responsible for what they have been a great part of creating. This over population problem and leaders afraid of upsetting these groups along with a pursued public opinion must budge to a middle ground. If not, they best be held highly accountable for the disaster they have created in their protectionism campaigns.

Yes, a harvest must take place if you truly are concerned for our environment, for with the collapse of our salmon there will be a domino effect of the likes we can only pray does not unfold.

As I said in the Cohen Inquirery before the panel in Campbell River, "It's an understatement to say without a wild salmon resource, there would be no B.C. tourism industry."

Share the hell out of this post so more can support Pacific Balance Pinniped Society by joining group on Facebook.

Native traditional harvest of Pinnipeds is one of the salmons last hope to really make a quick change in slowing the death of millions of fish that will save many people's way of life and lively hoods.

A message from the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society

1.2 MILLION pounds of fish each 24 hour period being gobbled up by over 47,000 invasive California Sea Lions in our waters. Don't believe me? Then find me an archaeologist or an archaeological report that shows California Sea Lion bones found in a B.C. excavation to date.

Dammit, Invasive species suck, I hate when people let their goldfish go in local lakes, their Boa Constrictors into the everglades, their Asian snakeheads and Asian carp into streams, and their pet Sea lions into the Pacific.

Dammit, Invasive species suck, I hate when people let their goldfish go in local lakes, their Boa Constrictors into the everglades, their Asian snakeheads and Asian carp into streams, and their pet Sea lions into the Pacific.
Yup, i guess they call them California Sea Lions because they come from BC, duh

Washington governor proposes major steps for orca recovery

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/washington-state-whales-1.4945856

- $1.1BLN USD budget to implement a multi- layer plan:
- sea lion and seal kill
- Partial whale watching ban
- breaching the snake river dam
- boosting hatchery production
- modern public ferries for noise reduction
- no mentiin of salmon fishing closures

What are WE doing here in BC? We have likes of David Suzuki and DFO who are equally incompetent and useles.

And the Canada goose never goes below the 49th parrallel.....
Yeah you never hear of anyone complaining about the proliferation of Canada geese, or suggesting forms of population control! Oh wait! Lol

The point is they arent invasive species not that there aren't complaints or even some legitimite targeted population control in some estuaries. Species that expand their natural range through natural migration are not invasive. The invasive term is incorrectly being used by the pinniped society to stir up certain people who want to believe they are and to encourage illegal killings. Lots if animals are named for where they were first observed or most commonly found.

Searun that message of: not caring who it is and pushing for all operators to avoid whales is fine.......so long as you are prepared to in turn accept those other groups saying; they don't care who it is all operators should stay away from their food.

its not about there food..if you see a pod of whales avoid them dont drive closer to them.. come on man.......

Are you saying that food isn’t one of the 3 identified stressers negatively effecting this population?

Back