Petition to Stop the politically motivated destruction of the Vancouver area recreational Salmon fishery

you don't listen nor are you willing to, and you use strawman attacks. I don't blame women or people that care about the environment, I'm blaming radical extremists, with whom Joyce is associated with, these groups are riddled with radical feminists and radical climate alarmists, this is a fact, I'm a college instructor I'm very familiar with these groups.

we aren't talking about covid or global warming they have nothing to do with marked selective fishing.

this is the 4th year, and many of us understand that science is being ignored.

Your frustrations with the regulations are understandable hatchery fish should be caught or whats the point of hatcheries i get it yes the liberals are horrible in government but call it what it is and stop blaming so called radicals for causing it. The science of downward trends in abundance has been ignored for years and the result are knee jerk regulations rather than properly monitoring and rebuilding, governments choose rather to close things and watch them fall off the cliff with little to no reasoning. Blame government and the upper level dfo managers for that don't blame first nations people, engos or radical feminists they aren't listened to anymore than us white guys are. The reality is regulations are needed to protect whats left, when that's the case with anything some groups end up losing out, it just isn't usually our demographic that loses out.

Your frustrations with the regulations are understandable hatchery fish should be caught or whats the point of hatcheries i get it yes the liberals are horrible in government but call it what it is and stop blaming so called radicals for causing it. The science of downward trends in abundance has been ignored for years and the result are knee jerk regulations rather than properly monitoring and rebuilding, governments choose rather to close things and watch them fall off the cliff with little to no reasoning. Blame government and the upper level dfo managers for that don't blame first nations people, engos or radical feminists they aren't listened to anymore than us white guys are. The reality is regulations are needed to protect whats left, when that's the case with anything some groups end up losing out, it just isn't usually our demographic that loses out.

we are still talking about Southern resident killer whale restrictions right? The purpose of the restrictions in not to put more fish on the spawning grounds but to allow SRKW a sanctuary to hunt.

Also the restrictions are only for the rec fishery, DFO has already made it clear that if sockeye return the seine boats and gill nets will be given access to these closure areas. Not to mention the thousands of commercial shipping vessels and recreational vessels.

The later timed chinook resections are aimed at passing first nations fish for FSC, the fraser first nations alone need a million sockeye and 40 thousand chinook to meet FSC needs. There FSC needs go unmet most years. Its an ever growing number BTW

The restrictions are just squeezing out access for the public fishery, not putting more fish on the spawning grounds.

I get it tho steelheaders are used to recreational fishing restrictions increasing steelhead abundance.

Last edited:
" Blame government and the upper-level dfo managers for that don't blame first nations people, engos or radical feminists they aren't listened to anymore than us white guys are " the problem is our minister is associated with these groups whose members do express radical ideologies

" Blame government and the upper-level dfo managers for that don't blame first nations people, engos or radical feminists they aren't listened to anymore than us white guys are " the problem is our minister is associated with these groups whose members do express radical ideologies

people are under the impression that recreational closures put more fish on the spawning grounds and one day if we have closures long enough that there will be a utopia of salmon that we can fish for.

This is not the reality

Last edited:
people are under the impression that recreational closures put more fishing on the spawning grounds and one day if we have closures long enough that there will be a utopia of salmon that we can fish for.

This is not the reality
the ministers, DFO, and ENGOs have stated this is about supplying food and foraging areas for the SKW, even they know we don't affect the stocks

So restrictions have nothing to do with the fact that salmon stocks are on the cusp of extinction they were just created to bring angry white men down? Have you ever considered that your arguments are very politically motivated and ignore conservation concerns and only address your wants and not what fish stocks need. Salmon caught in saltwater do undergo the potential for severe outcomes when released after a long fight whether you see it or not. When a salmon reaches a certain level of lactic acid buildup in their bodies they cannot recover, this changes after they return into freshwater and their body structure changes however in salt water they are very susceptible to this happening. Even if they appear fine on release it can take some time for them to die or be severely harmed from our enjoyment and sport. I am as guilty as anyone I catch and release fish and understand I have an impact and that salmon stocks are bad and getting worse. A msf would be a great way to go and I have advocated that for years but I don't get butt hurt when groups say sports fisherman have a negative impact on salmon stocks because we do its the truth. If any group is cultish it would be the angry whiteman groups that make everything into politics, its called conservation and like global warming its not political its science stop trying to make it something it isn't.
And you are basing these comments on what science exactly? "Severe outcomes when released"....really, seems like an over-reach claim - where's your science to back that up or perhaps qualify your definition of severe? Every study I have read seems to contradict that claim, and there are new modernized FRIM studies either in progress or about to happen to test the long-term effects. I'll wait to see what the data tells us before making any doom and gloom predictions.

The content. The link to the petition below that

Proposed Management Measures for recovery of Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW) at the Fraser River entrances threatens the local public fishery and does NOT help the recovery of SRKW or wild salmon. The public recreational salmon fishery is NOT the problem!
DFO uses fisheries closures as an easy, and highly visible yet demonstrably ineffective tool to address wild salmon decline while choosing to ignore best available science and the real issues affecting wild salmon, such as open net fish farms, pinniped overpopulation. This failed policy hurts wild salmon, SRKW, and small coastal communities and businesses which rely on healthy salmon populations.
Of the proposed measures outlined by DFO, only Option 1. the Status Quo, is acceptable.
Tell Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray to adopt Option 1!
Facts:
*UBC Mammal Research Center.”Our finding that densities of Chinook were 4–6 times higher in southern resident habitat than in northern resident habitat is at odds with the few sightings of southern resident killer whales in the Salish Sea in 2018 and 2019.
*400m and 1km avoidance and awareness protocols for SRKW are already in place.
* The public recreational fishery has already been severely curtailed by highly restrictive and questionable Chinook fishing closures which have little basis in the best available science and stock assessments.
*From 1973 to 2021, the SRKW population has fluctuated between 66 and 75 individuals. Over the same almost 50 year period, both commercial and recreational fishing has been severely reduced, and populations of virtually all other marine mammals such as other killer whales, seals and sea lions have skyrocketed. The public recreational fishery is clearly NOT the problem.
*ENGO’s have been using a “Save the Whales” slogan to successfully raise money and political support for decades, often playing on emotions with the use of questionable “science”.

The map below outlines the areas of concern. There are two maps which are similar in moving sports fisherman into the shipping channel!

https://chng.it/tVCfVB5j
This diligent response from flipper is 100%.

Back