Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Hatcheries, habitat restoration, complete user groups accountability of catches, more enforcement actions, ensure ample water, remove dams down south....what ever. Just f..in do something or myself and my kids will never see a decent fishery again.

Our exploitation of thoes Washington hatchery fish is well accounted for in the PST. In exchange Alaska gets to harvest our wild fish.

Trading 4-10 pound baby Washington hatchery fish for 10-30 pound wild B.C. fish to Alaska is such a great deal.

Last edited:
Our exploitation of thoes Washington hatchery fish is well accounted for in the PST. In exchange Alaska gets to harvest our wild fish.

Trading 4-10 pound baby Washington hatchery fish for 10-30 pound wild B.C. fish to Alaska is such a great deal.
It depends on what game your skin is in I guess.

Washington State hatchery fish generally run 12 to 2o or more pounds when I fish them from June thru August.

Last edited:
Agreed, I guess Wildman only catches dinks :)

It was kinda a brod generalization,” but your right thoes fish are very important to a lot of fisheries .

when there are less hogs comming back to our runs in the fall they are catching them in Alaska.

More hatchery production could be a good thing or it could just allow aslaska to catch more.

If you have some about the news treaty we have signed Alaska is allowed to increase its exploitation based on abundance.

I am not against hatchery production I think their is a lot more we could pump out but we should not pretend like it does not effect our wild stocks.

IMO hatchery production between countries should be negotiated in the pacific salmon treaty.

Also a lot of times when you read the hatchery report they say unable to achieve targets due to not enough brood.

So in most cases we would be increaseing production for our already enhanced stocks. Would that be helping the root of the problems in the extremely depressed wild streams.

It’s time to kill seals

Last edited:
'I am superbly worried': West Coast fishermen await decision on restrictions meant to protect orcas
Marine mammal expert Andrew Trites says there is little evidence to support fishing closures to help orcas
Maryse Zeidler · CBC News · Posted: Nov 25, 2018
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...restrictions-meant-to-protect-orcas-1.4919711
I just sent in an edit request to have them remove words like "dwindling", "endangered" and "only 74 left". You should all so the same. Whenever an article like this is posted we should all be commenting and contacting the writer/editor to call out these false statements.

I just sent in an edit request to have them remove words like "dwindling", "endangered" and "only 74 left". You should all so the same. Whenever an article like this is posted we should all be commenting and contacting the writer/editor to call out these false statements.

I disagree.... partly because your quotes from the article that you want changed are all essentially true but also the article does the rec sector justice. I assume you read the article but am surprised of your response. IMO The article shows the media is finally evolving into publishing the point of view from experts/scientists that strongly supports the idea that closing sportfishing will unlikely do anything to help SRKW. I suggest we embrace this article not demand changes to it that have little to do with the point of the article and that the point f it actually does the rec sector a favour. The rec sector has been trying to get out articles like this which shows Dr. Andrew Trites and how his expert opinion backs what rec sector has felt all along. I would contact the writer and thank them for their article.

I disagree.... partly because your quotes from the article that you want changed are all essentially true but also the article does the rec sector justice. I assume you read the article but am surprised of your response. IMO The article shows the media is finally evolving into publishing the point of view from experts/scientists that strongly supports the idea that closing sportfishing will unlikely do anything to help SRKW. I suggest we embrace this article not demand changes to it that have little to do with the point of the article and that the point f it actually does the rec sector a favour. The rec sector has been trying to get out articles like this which shows Dr. Andrew Trites and how his expert opinion backs what rec sector has felt all along. I would contact the writer and thank them for their article.
I did read the article. I also thanked the writer for bringing such an important issue to the publics attention. But if these false statements weren't thrown out there so willy nilly we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. The whales are on a downward trend or a decline in their population, they are not endangered or anywhere near an all time low. The article, like all media these days, is playing into the black and white and extremes of the argument to make it more interesting. That was my point.

Maybe this will help

Yes, I agree with Rain City. The facts are that there has never been more than 98 since we started tracking the population in 1960, and genetic evidence that even for 100 years before that the population likely never exceeded 100. How the media and others have framed these false facts is a big problem and we should indeed help the media understand the correct facts. It is also true that the population has been fluctuating several times, and if you take a look at the trend the population could be said to be slowly increasing - depends on how you plot the trend.

Also true that this is not a made in BC problem. If you look closely "L" pod that stays full time in BC is trending well, whereas the other 2 pods that spend their winters in US waters come back here in the abundant summer months looking nutritionally stressed. Also one has to look at the Northern Residents who's range over-lapps the SRKW - they are doing very well - increasing by 3%/year...same food source, same territory...hmmm. Me thinks the green ENGO's have been spinning tall tales to serve their own agenda. Wake up Liberal Government - you are being badly played in the interest of feeding the Green Machine.

I support the rec sector fully as you know by all my posts ( and my related stance in emails etc etc ) but when I see a article explaining the situation with regards to lack of evidence that rec fishing closures will help SRKW, I see a positive article that supports what we feel. There are 74 SRKW -fact. There has been ups and downs in numbers of SRKW - on a present decline now - fact. Also according to my understanding from Dr Trites SRKW are endangered ( not Critically endangered. Btw RC I was the one who posted up the video you copied here and asked you and others to spread it around lol. I think you guys are missing the point of my other post - the article was a good one and actually said everything Trites has said - which is good!!

I support the rec sector fully as you know by all my posts ( and my related stance in emails etc etc ) but when I see a article explaining the situation with regards to lack of evidence that rec fishing closures will help SRKW, I see a positive article that supports what we feel. There are 74 SRKW -fact. There has been ups and downs in numbers of SRKW - on a present decline now - fact. Also according to my understanding from Dr Trites SRKW are endangered ( not Critically endangered. Btw RC I was the one who posted up the video you copied here and asked you and others to spread it around lol. I think you guys are missing the point of my other post - the article was a good one and actually said everything Trites has said - which is good!!
Agreed. Very good article. And oh... Thanks for posting the video :)

Yes, I agree with Rain City. The facts are that there has never been more than 98 since we started tracking the population in 1960, and genetic evidence that even for 100 years before that the population likely never exceeded 100. How the media and others have framed these false facts is a big problem and we should indeed help the media understand the correct facts. It is also true that the population has been fluctuating several times, and if you take a look at the trend the population could be said to be slowly increasing - depends on how you plot the trend.

Also true that this is not a made in BC problem. If you look closely "L" pod that stays full time in BC is trending well, whereas the other 2 pods that spend their winters in US waters come back here in the abundant summer months looking nutritionally stressed. Also one has to look at the Northern Residents who's range over-lapps the SRKW - they are doing very well - increasing by 3%/year...same food source, same territory...hmmm. Me thinks the green ENGO's have been spinning tall tales to serve their own agenda. Wake up Liberal Government - you are being badly played in the interest of feeding the Green Machine.

Pat, did I get linked over to a different article or something ? You know I agree 100% with everything you said above so I think all your points above are mute with regards to adressing my post ?? Eg. NRKW have nothing to do with why I posted and the fact that SRKW issues are not just a made in BC problem also has nothing to do with why I posted.

I will try to explain clearer now that I am on a computer (and not at a ferry terminal with my phone and no eye glasses with me lol) I posted a disagreement to the 'calling out' a writer of an article that I felt was a good article for the rec sector. I also saw some stretching of the facts (playing with the decline graph numbers a bit to make SRKW seem perhaps more in trouble that they are) But lets face it, either way, SRKW are on a recent decline and are proven to be having problems, period. Lets focus on why that is.... That article explains what the rec sector has been trying to let the public know for months! - That being that the rec sector likely has nothing to do with it! Trites is quoted himself to say that the rec fishing being shut down will likely have nothing whatsoever to do with helping SRKW.....simple as that. Success..... To argue that the SRKW are not in trouble as much as someone thinks is not a good arguement for us to have IMO. We then just look like we could give a cr*p about the orcas .....which I hope in fact that we all do.

Last edited:

I think you meant J-pod, they are the ones that hang around here over the winter. K&L-pod are the ones that migrate south along the coast.
https://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedFiles/Events/Meetings/MMT_2015/Presentations/3.1 PPT ProgramReviewSRKWDistributionDiet071515MBHv2.pdf
760f65_adc0b955a72c4cb0b80e123c2370ce82~mv2.gif

Do you have a paper or a website that shows genetic evidence that the population never exceed 100? I have not run across that but what I have seen mention is that they estimate that in the late 1800's it is thought to be around 200.

Agreed. Very good article. And oh... Thanks for posting the video :)

I just posted a reply to Pat to try an explain better why I don't agree about 'calling out' the writer. There is a 'method to my maddness' lol Basically because rec sector could easily be made to look like we don't think there is a serious problem with SRKW if we pick at correcting whether 74 or 75 exist now for eg. or that we refuse to see that there has been a decline recently ( stretching the decline graph info or not) or don't take it seriously that no births have been successful in a while. Another words I think we should agree to see that the SRKW have serious issues and not fight that. The article backed rec sector and basically let the public know that stopping recreational fishing is not going to help SRKW......all backed by Dr. Andrew Trites too. A win for rec sector and educationg the public IMO.

Pat did I get link over to a different article or something ? You know I agree 100% with everything you said above so I think all your points above are mute with regards to adressing my post ?? Eg. NRKW have nothing to do with why I posted and the fact that SRKW issues are not just a made in BC problem also has nothing to do with why I posted.

I will try to explain clearer now that I am on a computer (and not at a ferry terminal with my phone and no eye glasses with me lol) I posted a disagreement to the 'calling out' a writer of an article that I felt was a good article for the rec sector. I also saw some stretching of the facts (playing with the decline graph numbers a bit to make SRKW seem perhaps more in trouble that they are) But lets face it, either way, SRKW are on a recent decline and are proven to be having problems, period. Lets focus on why that is.... That article explains what the rec sector has been trying to let the public know for months! - That being that the rec sector likely has nothing to do with it! Trites is quoted himself to say that the rec fishing being shut down will likely have nothing whatsoever to do with helping SRKW.....simple as that. Success..... To argue that the SRKW are not in trouble as much as someone thinks is not a good arguement for us to have IMO. We then just look like we could give a cr*p about the orcas .....which I hope in fact that we all do.
Just so we're clear here, I care about the Orcas. I would just rather not have the media fuel the fire with embellishments of a less than dire situation. Just think how much better that story would have been if they even hinted at the fact that it is questionable weather or not ANY intervention is even necessary. Let alone fishing closures. Now THAT would be a great story.

I just posted a reply to Pat to try an explain better why I don't agree about 'calling out' the writer. There is a 'method to my maddness' lol Basically because rec sector could easily be made to look like we don't think there is a serious problem with SRKW if we pick at correcting whether 74 or 75 exist now for eg. or that we refuse to see that there has been a decline recently ( stretching the decline graph info or not) or don't take it seriously that no births have been successful in a while. Another words I think we should agree to see that the SRKW have serious issues and not fight that. The article backed rec sector and basically let the public know that stopping recreational fishing is not going to help SRKW......all backed by Dr. Andrew Trites too. A win for rec sector and educationg the public IMO.
That is a very fair point you make. You're right that we as rec fisherman need to be seen as supportive of the issue. As I'm sure we all are.

Back