Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Here's a recent You Tube video with an interview with Dr. Andrew Trites, who explains in a straight forward fashion some of the issues and research regarding SRKW recovery. Good vid worth watching:

Ultimately .....TIME..... will tell the story for the Southern Killer Whales and whether Fisheries and Oceans and the feds have picked the right solutions to help the whales recover. They appear to be primarily focussed on increasing food supply and reducing noise, and some very small mention of toxicity. In listening to Dr Trites it looks like the northern & transient killer whale populations are doing well and their numbers are growing. He states drone photography shows the southerns are much thinner than their northern and transient cousins. But no one knows the why. He mentions cancer as a possibility. So why aren't DFO and feds looking into this? Are they just plain dumb. It doesn't appear to be very high on their radar... but it sure as hell should be.

If any creature is feeling sick its not going to feel like eating nor have the energy to pursue prey properly. In the last few years a killer whale was found dead at the mouth of a Washington state river. An autopsy showed it was loaded with extremely high levels of toxins. It makes sense to me that the SKW's seasonally live and migrate where there are more people and therefore more polluted waters. Recently a family acquaintance came back from a holiday in Mexico where they stayed at a beach hotel. The wife went swimming in the ocean water and within a few minutes developed a rash all over her body. They speculated all the hotels in the area were dumping waste water via pipes directly into the local ocean waters. Go to Victoria and look at the signs on the beaches, no swimming, at least they used to be there at one time! Victoria is notorious and ill famed for dumping raw effluent and toxic waste into the Salish Sea. Think of the combined effect of pollution from communities upstream along the Fraser River, Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle and all the other southern coast communities. What about ships that might be flushing their tanks.

Toxicity should be treated as a major suspect. If you search the web there are several studies on killer whales and toxicity. I cannot recall much if any from Canadian studies.

If the DFO and feds are serious about helping the SKW's then more funding should be directed at reducing marine toxicity and be included in their SKW recovery plan. There are other deficiencies in their plans such funding and efforts to protect and restore marine, estuary, river, and stream habitat. Certainly more widespread SKW research is needed as we seem to generally know squat about them.

Wow, I wish you westcoastlers had been that fired up and anxious back when the South Island was thrown under the bus! But I heard mostly complaints from you about how the whale watchers weren't excluded too. Searun was only concerned about making these closures a scientifically valid experiment. Kind of sucks now when they start experimenting in your backyard, eh? And whether whale watchers are included or not is not that important anymore, right? Because you won't be fishing there regardless of what the whale guys do and that is important, correct? And we all know this is all BS and has nothing to do with real science and the orcas won't recover because of these alibi closures. Just saying. Maybe you want to look back at the position you took back then and wished you didn't. A little more support for SI back then would have certainly galvanized more support now.

I will bite since it was me that voiced strong opposition to other users groups in Otter Point to East point closures in Area 20 . I still don't think your group should have been allowed in the closed zone. I also don't believe others users (commercials, navy, freighters etc) should have been in there either. Now tell me calmsea how can we go back the department now and say well is it working? The data is totally skewed, and the closure set an example. How about Pender Island. You think it is fair to close and entire island while your whale watching groups (and others) just freely operate as business as usual. The FACT is these areas were made for specific purpose so DFO told us. So if that is so than everyone needs to be out.

And I also take offense that no one cares about south island up island. When are we going to get past this,? Such on old way of thinking down there that needs to change. We are all sorry for way south island was treated in past, but we need to really move on.

Sorry if that sounds bad.

Last edited:
Calmsea I think you are practicing a little revisionist history there. We always promoted the 400m bubble. Long before others got on the bandwagon. Once it became clear DFO had decided they were implementing Area Closures we were demanding these areas be carefully studied so there would be some data a year later to guide future decisions. Of course DFO never had the resources to study anything more than a few overflights. Sadly we have no data to apply science based decisions. So if you feel good taking some revisionist cheap shots that is a good thing. Meanwhile I will continue to advocate revisiting those Area Closures to bring about other solutions that might get you a fishery down there again.

Feds have clearly taken a divide and conquer strategy. Not surprising really, why take on all Sport Fishers at once when you can shut them down in stages. My area was already been slammed but I have no intention of giving up!

People need to remember that before the SRKW closures areas went into effect. Groups like SFAB, SFI and SVIAC went around and held meetings with sports fishermen to try to make the impacts less. They put together a proposal for each area, handed it to local DFO that were on board with working with sports fishermen. Then those six ENGO's threaten to sue DFO and all sudden sport fishing groups were back sapped by DFO and the full closures went in. Total Finfish closures were not even going to be implemented till the ENGO groups got their dirty little hands involved.

REMEMBER IS WHAT DFO ORIGINALLY PROPOSED

"Proposed Management Measures: For this area, an experimental approach is proposed with salmon fishing or fin fish closures proposed for Subareas 20-3 and 20-4 from May 1 to September 30. Monitoring is planned to compare SRKW foraging behaviour in these areas with the adjacent Subareas 20-1 and 20-5, which will remain open to fin fish."

"Proposed Management Measures: Proposed salmon fishing or fin fish closure in Subareas 18-2, 18-4 and 18-9 from May 1 to September 30."

This is why members like Searun and Derby in February of last year were saying, YOU GUYS NEED TO GET INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS.

It was suppose to be a TRIAL bases and collect science and now Searun is saying that was not even done!!!

"The Department intends to implement measures on a trial basis in 2018 with additional monitoring designed to assess the effectiveness of management measures over time. Annual post-season review meetings will provide an opportunity to review relevant performance measures and consider future adjustments to management measures as required."

WE NEED NOT FINGER POINT AT EACH OTHER WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER WE NEED TO HOLD DFO ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!

People need to remember that before the SRKW closures areas went into effect. Groups like SFAB, SFI and SVIAC went around and held meetings with sports fishermen to try to make the impacts less. They put together a proposal for each area, handed it to local DFO that were on board with working with sports fishermen. Then those six ENGO's threaten to sue DFO and all sudden sport fishing groups were back sapped by DFO and the full closures went in. Total Finfish closures were not even going to be implemented till the ENGO groups got their dirty little hands involved.

REMEMBER IS WHAT DFO ORIGINALLY PROPOSED

"Proposed Management Measures: For this area, an experimental approach is proposed with salmon fishing or fin fish closures proposed for Subareas 20-3 and 20-4 from May 1 to September 30. Monitoring is planned to compare SRKW foraging behaviour in these areas with the adjacent Subareas 20-1 and 20-5, which will remain open to fin fish."

"Proposed Management Measures: Proposed salmon fishing or fin fish closure in Subareas 18-2, 18-4 and 18-9 from May 1 to September 30."

This is why members like Searun and Derby in February of last year were saying, YOU GUYS NEED TO GET INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS.

It was suppose to be a TRIAL bases and collect science and now Searun is saying that was not even done!!!

"The Department intends to implement measures on a trial basis in 2018 with additional monitoring designed to assess the effectiveness of management measures over time. Annual post-season review meetings will provide an opportunity to review relevant performance measures and consider future adjustments to management measures as required."

WE NEED NOT FINGER POINT AT EACH OTHER WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER WE NEED TO HOLD DFO ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!

Exactly.

Today is the last day to comment. Here's the email if you haven't sent any comments yet:

SARA/LEP.XNCR@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you haven’t already sent your input please include your ideas on alternative management measures. This is probably the most important element of feedback.

ha ha, I saw that.

Here's a few ideas on potential alternative measures to managing inside the Critical Habitat as well as some Science recommendations - these were provided to the Minister directly a few weeks ago following our meeting with him:

o 400m “Bubble Zone” standardized with similar management measures from Canada’s east coast to support SRKW ability to acquire prey – protect ACCESSIBILITY to prey - limiting factor isn’t abundance related to fishing (Appendix 1)

o Special Management Zones (SMZ) in high SRKW forage use areas that are monitored and closed to all small vessel traffic (under 60 gross tonnes) when in actual use by SRKW

o Immediately implement a Science Panel comprised of 3 independent experts to provide Minister and Cabinet with independent science review and advice on all CH extension proposals at various stages of the SARA process. (Government agencies’ capacity to understand why some cetaceans are in trouble and make science-based decisions is currently hampered by limited internal capacity to undertake the necessary research, as well as an insufficient volume of existing research findings)

o Implement a Multi-sectoral Critical Habitat Advisory Group - Remove Area Closures – conduct small scale blind study areas to complete comparative analysis to better measure and understand effectiveness of SMZ and “Bubble” strategies – determine effectiveness, and recommend best practice CH management measures

o Implement Independent CH Monitoring to develop objective evaluation protocols to assess performance of all management measures applied to CH areas

o Implement Prey Availability Working Group to conduct targeted research to better understand Chinook abundance trends, movements, impediments to SRKW acquisition of prey, and future strategies to enhance availability

o Establish a university based Independent Centre for Cetacean Research to develop future expertise with a focus on connecting local and indigenous knowledge

o Work with Military to develop SRKW protection protocols with 5 nm bubble zone for live fire exercises within CH Areas

o Increase recreational and commercial conservation fees, and implement Whale Watching Guest User Fees to provide funding for Chinook habitat and enhancement

I sent my comments in yesterday and it worked? Double check that you typed it in correctly or click on the link to enter it that Fisher Down had in his last post?

FYI I sent my letter to both these e-mails below - just to be sure. The top one is the e-mail cohochinook posted in this thread above. The other one I beleive was provided by DFO, Pacific Region - Species at Risk Program

SARA/LEP.XNCR@dfo-mpo.gc.ca,
SARA.XPAC@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Lets not forget all the dam hard work our reps did for the last 2 go arounds with requesting COAs. Did Ott listen? Did the recommendations get implemented? Now we will be asked to more meetings to provide more ignored recommendations? WTH Wake up, it does not matter what sport fishermen do or recommend, we are their only target. Between this, FN issues, the hali scam, sport fishing is going away fast, we will be the dam species extinct. Call me cynical, I say realistic. Only answer I see comes Oct 19.

HM
Lol.. perhaps just sell your boat and move along :(

Wow, I wish you westcoastlers had been that fired up and anxious back when the South Island was thrown under the bus! But I heard mostly complaints from you about how the whale watchers weren't excluded too. Searun was only concerned about making these closures a scientifically valid experiment. Kind of sucks now when they start experimenting in your backyard, eh? And whether whale watchers are included or not is not that important anymore, right? Because you won't be fishing there regardless of what the whale guys do and that is important, correct? And we all know this is all BS and has nothing to do with real science and the orcas won't recover because of these alibi closures. Just saying. Maybe you want to look back at the position you took back then and wished you didn't. A little more support for SI back then would have certainly galvanized more support now.

Really and u don't think people were in the back ground helping do the good fight...please :(

A little off topic but while I was in control of the race rocks camera this am I spotted ball up of birds and soon a pod of hump back whales were feeding. Within a few mins the larger whale watching boat shows up right on top of them. Not one fishing boat near but there are a few boats fishing the area. I have seen this with killer whales as well. They pull up in their path ,wait and certainly get a close up show. I like to fish off the breakwater except when the fleet of 20 or more whale boats leave or return bouncing me around. Rant over back to closures:-(

Attachments

• IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 74
I've repeatedly seen bad behaviour from our local WW boats at Sentry Shoals. Every 15 minutes another would come and park right on the whales. No doubt on the radios to each other, just harassing them.

Back