Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

I believe all we will see is an increase in Chilliwack, Inch, and Chehalis chinook releases. It's pretty much enhancing enhanced stocks.

The Omega fish hatchery (private facility in Port Alberni) was presenting yesterday to Standing Committee on Fisheries, pitching their idea of producing S-1 Chinook smolts for a number of Vancouver Island and LM (Squamish for example) stocks. They would likely use sea net pens to imprint the fish to local areas. The East Coast VI rivers in particular have Chinook that tend to stick around the SOG for longer periods, making them a good SRKW food source.

Pressure is on Canada by the US side to follow suit to match their measures, which are detailed in the draft report and the recommendations that are likely to go forward to the Washington State Governor. Canada is being pressed to make similar investments or possibly face trade barrier sanctions. Interesting times.

Check news, sanctuary on west coast?

Greens are running this show.

Judging by the news articles I just read it sounds like they are definitely planning on prohibiting certain activities in the areas from Swiftsure to Tofino. I'm guessing that's the nail in the coffin for us. Barkley sound is going to be a complete shitshow with everyone from Alberni, Bamfield and Ukee hammering it.

"we shouldn't protest ", "it only takes one bad interview" etc guys, where are they now? :rolleyes: Only way we get anything done, Sfac and other means doesn't and won't...blockades etc will. Until we realize this we will just get bullied.

Judging by the news articles I just read it sounds like they are definitely planning on prohibiting certain activities in the areas from Swiftsure to Tofino. I'm guessing that's the nail in the coffin for us. Barkley sound is going to be a complete shitshow with everyone from Alberni, Bamfield and Ukee hammering it.

I’m usual on here promoting doom and gloom but I don’t think their will be fishing closures in this area.

I’m usual on here promoting doom and gloom but I don’t think their will be fishing closures in this area.

Also heard that but if and when whale populations don’t increase due to these critical habitat areas that aren’t closed to fishing they will then (and again it’ll make no difference).

Sounds like most likely sanctuaries will be 100% closed. They may do that to otter pt area too

Last edited:
I'm honestly trying not to be negative. But this is what I read.

"Wilkinson says the protected areas of Swiftsure, in the Juan de Fuca Strait between Vancouver Island and Washington state, and Le Perouse Banks off Tofino, will be areas where the whales can spend significant time undisturbed.

The minister says the government will be able to prohibit a range of activities in these areas including shipping."

I guess there is still a chance that they won't close it all year but maybe just at certain times? Let's hope.

Last edited:
WHAT WE’VE DONE

WHAT’S NEW

Increasing Prey Availability and Protecting Habitat
Introduced new fishery closures in May 2018, and reduced overall Chinook harvest by up to 25 to 35% for the 2018 fishing season to increase prey availability in three key Southern Resident Killer Whale foraging areas: Strait of Juan de Fuca, Gulf Islands, the mouth of the Fraser River

Made a Critical Habitat Order for transboundary waters in southern British Columbia, including southern Georgia Strait, Haro Strait, and Juan de Fuca Strait in 2009

Continuing to identify a new area of critical habitat (habitat necessary for the survival and recovery of SRKW) off the coast of Southwestern Vancouver Island in a proposed amended recovery strategy, which was included on the SARA public registry for a 60 day comment period on September 4, 2018, and closes on November 3, 2018.

Examining further reductions of overall levels of Chinook Salmon fisheries for 2019 season

Making investments to strategically rebuild and protect Chinook stocks

Federal government announces new measures for killer whale protection
Fisheries and Oceans Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says the government is looking at creating new areas of critical habitat off the west coast of Vancouver Island for southern resident killer whales.
The Canadian Press
orcas-vessel-slowdown.jpg

A killer whale breaches in the Salish Sea, with Mount Baker in Washington state visible in the background. Elaine Thompson / Associated Press files

By Hina Alam

The federal government wants to create new ocean sanctuaries in B.C. as part of an additional $61.5 million it’s spending to protect endangered killer whales.

Fisheries and Oceans Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said Wednesday the government also wants to create new areas of critical habitat off the west coast of Vancouver Island for southern resident killer whales.

The protected areas of Swiftsure in the Juan de Fuca Strait between Vancouver Island and Washington state, and Le Perouse Banks off Tofino, will be areas that the whales can call home, he said.

“We are in the process of consulting on those new critical habitat areas and expect to be able to move forward on them in the next couple of months,” he said. “We are also talking about creation of killer whale sanctuaries, which essentially are within the areas of critical habitat … which means that we can prohibit a range of different activities, not simply fisheries, where you can regulate that ships cannot go.”

The government previously announced $167.4 million would be spent to improve prey availability and reduce disturbances for whales. Southern resident killer whales were listed as endangered in 2003 and only 74 of them remain in the wild.

Wilkinson said the government will take a closer look at enhancing food sources for whales by putting money into a new hatchery to increase the stock of chinook salmon.

While there have been calls for a ban on chinook salmon fishing, he said the government “hasn’t gone there yet.”

“We’ll certainly be looking at the needs of the southern resident killer whales and trying to ensure balancing economic issues with environmental issues,” he said.

Earlier this year the federal government closed about 35 per cent of recreational and commercial chinook fisheries in the Juan de Fuca Strait and around portions of the Gulf Islands.

Misty MacDuffee, a conservation biologist at the Raincoast Conservation Foundation in B.C, said she was encouraged by the move to identify sanctuaries where the animals can be protected from fishing and whale-watching.

She said the government has to increase the number of salmon in the sanctuaries and a hatchery “is not a promising way to do that.”

“The best way to increase the abundance of chinook is by closing fisheries.”

The Fisheries Department proposal to enhance the availability of chinook in the fall in the Fraser River will not help southern resident killer whales when they need the salmon in the early spring and the summer, MacDuffee said.

“The importance of those early time chinook are key to southern resident killer whales,” she said. “What the feds are proposing to do is enhance chinook that are returning in the fall.”

In addition to food, Wilkinson said the government is looking at moving shipping lanes farther away from areas preferred by killer whales, as well as long-term solutions, such as quieter ships to reduce noise from vessels.

“With the ferries, they are structured in such a way that reducing the speed doesn’t help as much with the noise.”

A conservation agreement is in the works with B.C. Ferries to ensure its vessels take a wide berth around the whales, he said.

Two years ago, Transport Minister Marc Garneau said the government was working with B.C. Ferries on possible approaches to help decrease noise and traffic.

Wilkinson said he hopes to have the bulk of the measures in place by May when the whales return to the area. But it will take some time to reduce noise and buy ships that are quieter, he said.

endangered-orcas.jpg

Remember this?

But Wilhelmson said the government has taken only “partial” measures to date. “They sound good on first blush, but when you look down, you see that they’re incomplete.”

She said seeking feedback on critical habitat areas is not the same as protecting those areas.

“That habitat may not be designated as critical habitat for another six to eight months, which means nothing changes,” she said.

“It really is misleading to say that they’re doing everything in their power. They’re not. They’re using normal processes, which take months and months, possibly years. Perhaps this is fast for government; it’s not fast enough for the orcas.”

Misty is such a hypocrite she says they need to close down chinook fishing to protect early run fraser chinook and in other articles I have read she expresses the need for FN to continue to harvest chinook. She obviously releases there's almost no recreation harvest on early run chinook. Want to help early run fraser chinook Misty go protest in southern alaska and stop the netting on the fraser in May/June. What’s the saying? The juice Is not worth the squeeze?

Misty MacDuffee, a conservation biologist at the Raincoast Conservation Foundation in B.C, said she was encouraged by the move to identify sanctuaries where the animals can be protected from fishing and whale-watching.

She said the government has to increase the number of salmon in the sanctuaries and a hatchery “is not a promising way to do that.”

The Fisheries Department proposal to enhance the availability of chinook in the fall in the Fraser River will not help southern resident killer whales when they need the salmon in the early spring and the summer, MacDuffee said.

“The importance of those early time chinook are key to southern resident killer whales,” she said. “What the feds are proposing to do is enhance chinook that are returning in the fall.”

Yes, but look at where we are in comparison to them.

Misty is such a hypocrite she says they need to close down chinook fishing to protect early run fraser chinook and in other articles I have read she expresses the need for FN to continue to harvest chinook. She obviously releases there's almost no recreation harvest on early run chinook. Want to help early run fraser chinook Misty go protest in southern alaska and stop the netting on the fraser in May/June. What’s the saying? The juice Is not worth the squeeze?

Oh I know OBD it sure sounds like MPA’s for SRKW are comming too

I think that is a very strong possibility.
There is also a strong chance there will be no take as well?

Last edited:
You can bet they’re using the area 18 template. Once they use it in one area and get little pushback, they continue to expand.

And, just in case you might have thought that the Critical Habitat issue is only related to the current proposed expansion...here's the Minister's announcement today...happy Halloween

New measures announced today include:

• continuing to identify and protect new areas of habitat necessary for survival or recovery of the Southern Resident Killer Whale Population;
  • introducing important measures aimed at protecting and recovering Chinook salmon stocks that are significant for the Southern Resident Killer Whales;
  • expanding the vessel slowdowns to further reduce underwater noise;
  • developing agreements with ferry operators and other marine industry partners to formalize current voluntary measures to reduce noise;
  • expanding vessel monitoring systems and capabilities to develop real time ability to avoid whale encounters and providing funding to Ocean Wise for the development and deployment of a Whale Report Alert System;
  • launching consultation with marine industry on development and implementation of Noise Management Plans;
  • advancing feasibility work on one or more South Resident Killer Whale sanctuaries within sub-areas of critical habitat the whales use for foraging; and
  • enhancing regulatory control of five key organic pollutants, including two flame retardants to lessen contaminants impacting these whales.

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-...-protect-southern-resident-killer-whales.html
Don't see anything in the announcement about addressing pinnipeds or seals. That's what the Sport Fishing Institute was pushing for! I did get an email from the seal impact movement that they had gotten approval to cull 30 seals.

Back