Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

I just threw up in my mouth a bit. It looks like terminator 2 judgement day.

Just in case your wondering where your 30% chinook reduction ended up. Harrison whites

Safety released in a Fraser river beach seine fishery

View attachment 40900

Are they 3-1 or 4-1 as you know what's up.......... your post may just be stirring **** up. Perhaps that's your intent and if so take it elsewhere as we don't need your kind here.

If you see something wrong then you know what to do and it's not facebook.

40911-b184158081bce94579104703fa8434f7.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are speaking in code! Is this an illegal fishery or a legal FN one?

You guys are speaking in code! Is this an illegal fishery or a legal FN one?

It’s a legal beach seine fishery that’s suppose to be selective, however when you don’t have a enough people to run a seine on the
Beach and it takes a lot of fishermen just pull the whole seine up onto the beach. Let the fish flip around and take what you need.

GLG is is taking the typical SFAB rout of putting his head in the sand. They believe that sports fishermen point out this stuff only hurts their cause with relations with First Nations and only builds riffs . Sports fishing is closed on the Fraser and sportfishermen are not going to put up with this anymore.

Sports fishermen may have not made big stink
About it or just called it into DFO( it was a few days ago). In the past. Fraser river is closed to sports fishermen for conservation and they have had it.

Their is mostly chum in that pic but still lots of chinook and coho too and 1 Thompson steelhead. According to the post and the people that were their.

The First Nation community who territory this is also very upset about this because one band let another band who did this fish in their territory.

Now you know about the Fraser river gong show. I hope your fishery don’t depend on these stocks.

Attachments

• B8105FA5-511E-4749-B324-E92BA4CCA2E6.png
    B8105FA5-511E-4749-B324-E92BA4CCA2E6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 6FFB357C-B125-4597-842F-D0CCF631CDCE.png
    6FFB357C-B125-4597-842F-D0CCF631CDCE.png
    638.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Good meeting with the Minister, lead by the BC Chamber of Commerce. Great opportunity to discuss strategies to achieve a balance between protecting whales while finding responsible actions that allow recreational fishing opportunity that contributes significantly to Canada's economy and small coastal communities.

We were invited to develop follow-up advice on gaps in the science advice employed to propose the Critical Habitat extension, and also to provide further ideas on alternatives to the current management measures in place. Minister provided a frank overview on the legal and political issues, particularly the SARA process.

I hear people getting frustrated that there appears to be nothing happening to address the use of intentionally fake news to vilify recreational fishing. We are working carefully to develop other strategies to responsibly advance the value of the recreational and commercial fisheries to build a broader base of support - which I'm not going to detail here for obvious reasons.

Are they 3-1 or 4-1 as you know what's up.......... your post may just be stirring **** up. Perhaps that's your intent and if so take it elsewhere as we don't need your kind here.

If you see something wrong then you know what to do and it's not facebook.

40911-b184158081bce94579104703fa8434f7.jpg

I disagree with you I think that seine net is embarrassing regardless of who was open who did and if it was legal or not. We are right now in a real bad state. If that as going the status quo then we are going to be in big trouble. Doesn't matter if they are 3-1 or 4-1. People need to look at pictures like this so thanks for posting. What a complete waste of fish. We have to do better.

Here's an update from the forward thinking people hard at work on the Columbia to demonstrate the art of the possible with respect to selective fisheries that could replace indiscriminate nets that have led us to the brink and over for so many stocks of salmon and steelhead. As I've said previously, it is a sad commentary on Canadian governments (all three levels) that they continue to support the same old same old harvesting technologies marching us down the road to fisheries oblivion while preaching the gospel of conservation and sustainability. Meanwhile it is dedicated, well led, highly credible non-government organizations working their collective butts off to demonstrate alternatives that actually can deliver conservation objectives.

What will it take to alter course?

COLUMBIA RIVER FISH TRAP

The Fish Trap Moves Forward

Adrian Tuohy, Biologist

Momentum continues to grow for Wild Fish Conservancy’s three-year effort to develop, test, and commercially implement sustainable alternatives to conventional gillnets in the Columbia River. Quantitatively evaluating post-release survival of Chinook salmon and steelhead from an experimental fish trap from 2016 through 2017, WFC’s groundbreaking engineering and research demonstrated the great potential of modified fish traps in reducing detrimental bycatch and hatchery impacts in commercial salmon fisheries. Now, in a historical moment, Washington State has wisely authorized implementation of the first commercial trap fishery in the State since 1935 to selectively harvest hatchery-origin salmon while releasing all wild fish unharmed.

Since August, WFC biologists have been working diligently with local fishermen, processors, and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) in a collaborative effort to construct and operate a commercial trap fishery—the first of its kind in over 83 years. The stakes are high to build a firm foundation to this alternative fishery and to develop a reputation for a sustainable product that consumers can trust. Securing the NOAA Fishery Service Bycatch Reduction Engineering Program Award two years in a row, the WFC staff has applied its unique knowledge and experience to further improve the sustainability and efficiency of fish trap technology. Alongside local fishermen and processors, the staff utilizes best harvest practices—including minimal handling, bleeding, and icing on site—to maximize quality to the consumer and the price received for a one-of-a-kind product. Through this careful process, WFC and partners are guaranteeing sustainability and quality in the marketplace while helping fishermen and processors involved receive the reward they deserve for helping with this important aspect of wild salmonid recovery. Furthermore, the trap is serving as a unique scientific monitoring tool within the lower river, providing data on genetics, stock-composition, run-timing, migration, behavior, and survival.

In terms of sustainability and consumer reliability, the results from the 2018 test fishery speak for themselves. Since initiating the fishery in late August, 2726 salmonids have been safely captured and sorted. All hatchery salmon have been removed from the river, reducing the threat of genetic introgression with wild populations upstream. All wild fish—including 1675 wild salmon and steelhead—have been successfully released to continue their journey to upriver spawning grounds. This is in stark contrast to conventional commercial fisheries of the Columbia, in which threatened wild salmon (along with mixed-runs of hatchery-origin salmon) are lethally entangled, harvested, and sold to consumers of the region. This reality also draws attention to the currently backwards incentives by the State of Washington which rewards fishermen using unsustainable fishing practices by allowing the harvest and sale of wild fish. Basic economics and ecology tell us that society could be far better off reversing the incentives in this situation, rewarding the fisher who successfully releases wild fish and taxing the fisher that kills a potentially endangered wild species.

Given the unfortunate situation that has unfolded for wild fish and fishermen of the Columbia River Basin during the summer and fall of 2018, the urgent need for sustainable alternatives to gillnetting could not be greater. The late-August and fall commercial fishery of the lower Columbia river was dramatically constrained by one of the worst runs in history, with returns of Chinook salmon, coho salmon, and steelhead less than half of the most recent 10-year average and likely near a hundredth of historical returns prior to 1900. With such diminished runs of wild fish, genetic impacts from rampant hatchery production are bound to be worse than before. In the absence of curbed hatchery production and subsequent moratorium on commercial and recreational harvest, a tool is urgently needed for selective removal of hatchery salmon that minimizes mortality to threatened wild fish; otherwise, we risk the loss of wild fish populations and genetic diversity that are essential to long-term recovery.

WFC’s collaborative project with local fishers, processors, and WDFW brings hope in an otherwise bleak situation on the Columbia, representing a remarkable step forward for sustainable salmon fisheries of the region. The model fishery developed on the Columbia has applications far and wide, providing a solution to address bycatch issues within non-hatchery supplemented watersheds, and situations involving invasive species or hatchery introgression. After years of hard work, a sustainable fishery is finally active on the Columbia River and a reliable product is available to consumers at Pike Place Market and a market near you.

Learn more about the our work on the Columbia at thefishtrapjournal.org.

It’s a legal beach seine fishery that’s suppose to be selective, however when you don’t have a enough people to run a seine on the
Beach and it takes a lot of fishermen just pull the whole seine up onto the beach. Let the fish flip around and take what you need.

GLG is is taking the typical SFAB rout of putting his head in the sand. They believe that sports fishermen point out this stuff only hurts their cause with relations with First Nations and only builds riffs . Sports fishing is closed on the Fraser and sportfishermen are not going to put up with this anymore.

Sports fishermen may have not made big stink
About it or just called it into DFO( it was a few days ago). In the past. Fraser river is closed to sports fishermen for conservation and they have had it.

Their is mostly chum in that pic but still lots of chinook and coho too and 1 Thompson steelhead. According to the post and the people that were their.

The First Nation community who territory this is also very upset about this because one band let another band who did this fish in their territory.

Now you know about the Fraser river gong show. I hope your fishery don’t depend on these stocks.

So you're admitting that they were mostly chum but your ends justify your means.
In your first post you purposely linked that picture with the regulation to reduce our catch of harrison 4-1 and in the process you painted all FN as being uncaring for the resource. For those that don't know the difference in the fish I'll explain. 3-1 means 3 year old ocean type chinook. Ocean type means they migrate out in the spring after hatching. Not like the stream type (denoted by the -2) that spend 18 months in the fresh before migrating to the ocean. A rule of thumb that I use is if it's less than 18 pounds chances are it's 3 year old and if it's over then chances are it's a 4 year old. If it's white meat then chance are good that it's a Harrision fish. With all that said the one of the reasons why we have the regulation was to protect the 4-1 harrison not the 3-1. Is there any proof that picture is full of 4-1? Nope. Are you doing damage to our reputation as anglers that are concerned with stocks and ethics? Yes.

Quote from the internet and words we should think about.
The idea “the end justifies the means” says that the end is important enough (and, one assumes, good enough) to overrule any legal or moral limits on the methods used, on the means to achieve these ends. That is, it says that the ends, alone, are sufficient justification of the means, no matter what.

We all need to judge what's right and some may think the ends justify painting all FN as as uncaring of the resource, for me, that's a line I will not cross. Others may disagree.

I don’t thonk anyone intends to paint all FN individuals as people who take advantage of the system for their own gain without regard to others or the environment. However the picture proves a problem exists and I think most here are frustrated that the individuals who did this suffer no consquences. That is what is wrong and what people here are really bitching about. If there were consquences this sort of thing would be a rare event.

GlG...no the post in question didnt state all fn were waisting precious salmon resourses...no one here is doing any kind of damage to the sportfishers rep for pointing out ANY kind of waist..whether its a chum,pink,coho,spring,sockeye or any other fish that swims from ANY kind of fishing..legal or not..
Especially in the era we are entering with "trying" to save and restore fish #s for these starving SRKWs

Insinuation of racism is BS on your part.

Call a spade a spade and lets get this info of waist of " your/our public resourse" (havent heard that phrase in a while) out in the public eye.

Thanks for posting pictures of ANY waist
Enough walking on egg shells..

When these beach seine fisheries are being advertise by DFO to as being very selective and have a advertised post mortality rate of 5% for released fish. less than sports fishermen rod and reel at 10-15% and are aloud to happen under extreme conservation concerns because they are selective and fishermen go out and see things like this it gets people upset. to top it off gill net fisheries for chum are now starting as well.

Lots of reductions to try to help SRKW and then this goes on near the spawning grounds. And YES there are Harrison Chinooks in there!

More pictures:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo723OVjMw2/?taken-by=mainlanders_sportfishing

upload_2018-10-15_14-15-1.png

upload_2018-10-15_14-15-45.png

"
bentrodsguidingandtackle
Before the beach seine fishery started there were literally schools of coho in the Harrison. Now you see groups of 4 scared coho ripping around in fear. Chinook numbers are 1/4 of what they were before and the ratio of Chum males to females is 20 to 1 at best. All for the sake of some tax free spending money for netters and so the Japanese can eat the roe."

Last edited:
His post was not about waste. It was linking this picture of mostly chum to a regulation for protecting Harrison 4-1. He knew they were mostly chum, it was in the facebook post that he got the picture from. Why did he link it to Harrison 4-1, was it meant to stir anger and manipulate emotions? Was he pitting one user group against another? Was it a dog whistle that seems to be common from the dumpster fire that we call modern politics? It's all wrong no matter what way you slice it. Sure you can change the spin to something else like Steelhead or IFR Coho but it doesn't change that fact WMY posted from facebook a picture of waste with no proof that it was Harrison 4-1 and evidence that it was mostly chum and wrap it around the FN fishery. IMHO that is misleading us and his posts that followed it bare it out. He didn't mention chum now did he. He only gave us the story, and changed it, added a little SRKW, after I called him out on it.

I'm sooo tired of these ******** tactics that use whatever means to justify the ends. If we fall for these tactics and play along and just blindly repeat them on the internet then we have a lot more problems then some wasted fish on the bank. (That by the way was totally wrong to do.) We lose our way on how to tackle our problems and end up with one side winning at the cost of the otherside losing when it doesn't have to be that way. We need to work together not line up sides for an all out offensive that, mark my words, won't turn out well.

At this point maybe WMY just didn't think his post would be taken like I saw it. I'll give him the benefit of doubt. At least I sure hope so.

Last edited:
GLG...these were Harrison whites that were intercepted at mountain bar which is directly below the Harrison.
This is nothing new.....and amongst the Harrison whites there is sockeye chum and endangered steelhead left to rot.
The Harrison Chinook are a big part of the type of Chinook we need to be saving on the Fraser.
You seem like this isn’t happening? Why aren’t the David Suzuki foundation or news all over this?
This type of FN activity paints a bad picture for all of the FN...this is why other FN need to speak out against it!
Because any other person regardless of race just gets deemed a rascist for pointing out what happens on the Fraser.
Any angler with a bit of knowledge or years on the Flow can spot out a fall Harrison white from a mile away.
People like GLG are the people are the reason why atrocities like this have been in the closet for so many years!

Last edited:
His post was not about waste. It was linking this picture of mostly chum to a regulation for protecting Harrison 4-1. He knew they were mostly chum, it was in the facebook post that he got the picture from. Why did he link it to Harrison 4-1, was it meant to stir anger and manipulate emotions? Was he pitting one user group against another? Was it a dog whistle that seems to be common from the dumpster fire that we call modern politics? It's all wrong no matter what way you slice it. Sure you can change the spin to something else like Steelhead or IFR Coho but it doesn't change that fact WMY posted from facebook a picture of waste with no proof that it was Harrison 4-1 and evidence that it was mostly chum and wrap it around the FN fishery. IMHO that is misleading us and his posts that followed it bare it out. He didn't mention chum now did he. He only gave us the story, and changed it, added a little SRKW, after I called him out on it.

I'm sooo tired of these ******** tactics that use whatever means to justify the ends. If we fall for these tactics and play along and just blindly repeat them on the internet then we have a lot more problems then some wasted fish on the bank. (That by the way was totally wrong to do.) We lose our way on how to tackle our problems and end up with one side winning at the cost of the otherside losing when it doesn't have to be that way. We need to work together not line up sides for an all out offensive that, mark my words, won't turn out well.

At this point maybe WMY just didn't think his post would be taken like I saw it. I'll give him the benefit of doubt. At least I sure hope so.

This post and attitudes like this is why this forum has turned into a complete **** show.

By the way, the original post should stir anger. This crap needs public awareness and outcry, regardless of who commits the act.!

BTW we may have gotten off topic in this thread.

So...we should start a new thread on conservation thread with these pics ? Or are we just going to sweep this under the carpet like DFO wants us to?

Back