Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Yup, not looking good

Really no surprise,once they shut down the first couple of areas with little push back, you had to know it was going to expand. I doubt that they’re done yet. Hatcheries cost money, rehabilitating the environment costs money! Guess what the cheap option is, if you guessed Recreational Closure you’d be right!

You've got it right Ziggy. All their doing is trying to protect their cheap ,political asses... Once again no interest in actually producing more Chinooks.

You've got it right Ziggy. All their doing is trying to protect their cheap ,political asses... Once again no interest in actually producing more Chinooks.
Agreed. Who should push back and how? That’s the question!

Agreed. Who should push back and how? That’s the question!
The first part is easy, all of us! The second part is tougher, I’ve been contacting my local politicos and the Minister, but to make an impact we need a whole lot of people to do the same. We have a Federal election on the horizon and need to use this to our advantage. I believe we also need to come forward with options to the complete area closures. That sadly will require a coastwide solution and impact even those outside the affected areas.For example Is a 15 Spring annual limit coastwide an option as opposed to 20? How about a reduction of daily limits? Expanded Spring non retention area vice Closure. Just spit balling.

Really no surprise,once they shut down the first couple of areas with little push back, you had to know it was going to expand. I doubt that they’re done yet. Hatcheries cost money, rehabilitating the environment costs money! Guess what the cheap option is, if you guessed Recreational Closure you’d be right!

Perhaps if you showed up to the latest one s in Alberni and Ukee..thinking the tone has been changed.. but hey what do i know...;)

Perhaps if you showed up to the latest one s in Alberni and Ukee..thinking the tone has been changed.. but hey what do i know...;)
Well not living even remotely in those areas probably explains my abscence. Perhaps someone from the area who was in attendance will be good enough to post a synopsis or tell us where the minutes from the meeting can be located, so we can all be informed? You know it’s going to be hard to mobilize any united front with the poor communication within the recreational community. The number 300,000 we hear quoted are non factors if the average fisher is no where near where meetings are held, notification of these meetings is at best sporadic and no minutes or updates are published. It’s seems it’s simply small isolated,disjointed groups being worked over by DFO and we know who’s going to win that one. Time to take a page from the ENGO playbook, use the media and perish the thought, the internet.

Last edited:
Ziggy believe what u want... info was out there for the 2 meeting held ..1 in Alberni and the other in Ukee.. They were very good meeting and the message was sent loud and clear..as what is being done next..like we are going to put it on the forum...social media is starting to be done.. I'm more then happy to direct anyone on this forum where they can buck up with the checks to help pay for this very expensive machine.... plus there are other things.... something that everyone needs to remember.. what u see or hear on this forum is only the tip of a iceberg of what is being done in the back ground.....

Well not living even remotely in those areas probably explains my abscence. Perhaps someone from the area who was in attendance will be good enough to post a synopsis or tell us where the minutes from the meeting can be located, so we can all be informed? You know it’s going to be hard to mobilize any united front with the poor communication within the recreational community. The number 300,000 we hear quoted are non factors if the average fisher is no where near where meetings are held, notification of these meetings is at best sporadic and no minutes or updates are published. It’s seems it’s simply small isolated,disjointed groups being worked over by DFO and we know who’s going to win that one. Time to take a page from the ENGO playbook, use the media and perish the thought, the internet.

minutes to the meeting will be available in about a week or so and will get posted then

minutes to the meeting will be available in about a week or so and will get posted then
Thanks, appreciate it.

Ziggy believe what u want... info was out there for the 2 meeting held ..1 in Alberni and the other in Ukee.. They were very good meeting and the message was sent loud and clear..as what is being done next..like we are going to put it on the forum...social media is starting to be done.. I'm more then happy to direct anyone on this forum where they can buck up with the checks to help pay for this very expensive machine.... plus there are other things.... something that everyone needs to remember.. what u see or hear on this forum is only the tip of a iceberg of what is being done in the back ground.....
Fair enough where was it posted? If it was widely disseminated I apologize if I missed it! But I take exception to people thinking I need apologize for not attending a meeting in Port Alberni or Ukee. I live on the Saanich Peninsula so it’s a pretty long haul to attend and I also work until six thirty and my job isn’t in the fishing industry! Like the vast majority of the 300 k fishermen attending meetings isn’t that convienent or practical. If you hold one in Sidney, I’ll be there!

Last edited:
We have a meeting with the Minister Thursday and plan to advance many of the messages shared at the Public meetings last week

The Critical Habitat proposal under SARA can only be suspended by the Minister. Otherwise it will proceed as proposed regardless of the significant lack of clear scientific evidence offered by DFO science. They are rushing this process! Especially so when there is currently unprocessed Passive Acoustic Monitoring data from a device deployed this summer off LaPerouse. We need the Minister to delay and assess this new evidence. They also need to collect First Nations and Local knowledge, which we heard loud and clear from all participants at the CH public sessions that killer whales are very rarely observed on LaPerouse. Similarly we heard that some of the observations recorded along the shoreline between Renfrew and Pachena are from a water taxi collecting the gps location from recreational boaters, hardly objective science.

Strongly encourage everyone to write your specific concerns regarding the proposed critical habitat extension onto the SARA site. This is the only meaningful way to have a difference.

From the article
"
“Since the death of three whales, including J50, we have upped our ask,” said Misty MacDuffee, a biologist for Raincoast. “Now we want the closure of all marine-based commercial and sport chinook fisheries.”

The groups are also calling for a full ban on whale watching for the southern residents."

Letter writing is no longer enough. If we want to maintain our sport we must start to protest often and loudly.
These NGO's are loud and persistent. They have been amping up their game all summer while we quietly fished. We need to post pictures and stories of the people who will lose their jobs and how families up and down the coast will suffer. The public loves pictures of the whales and stories of their suffering, real or not tug at their heart strings. We need to provide heart wrenching stories of our own if we want their sympathies. If we don't gain their hearts, they will continue to support the NGO's, and the politicians will support the NGO's, and we will have to take up knitting. Except that takes wool, and wool comes from sheep, and the sheep will be traumatized and cold after we sheer them, so then there will be a free the sheep campaign cuz the NGO's have nothing to do cuz they saved the whales..................

If the Whale Watching industry was smart, they’d remind Misty that her little group accepted $100,000 from an echo tourism company on the Central Coast and call her out for the hypocrisy! Don’t imagine the bears like being gawked at either!

Back