Stamp/Somass

went out yest. 3 for 3....and the day b4 i was 2 for 4...all r fresh fish..nothing over 8lbs...and huge water.

i will post pics when my camera drys out....lol

and almost 4got 2 mention...i heard on the local radio(93.3 the peak)that they r gna let some water out of the dam....dont know if its just 2day or over the weekend...with all the rain we got here lastnite the parking lot at the top of the falls pool will prob. have fish in it....LMAO....;)

shakes

spinnin pinnin and grinnin:D

quote:Originally posted by Fog Ducker

... Nog, I think you are mis informed on your release location, the Winter Smolts that are returning this year were released near Girl Guide falls

The "misinformation" I received in this regard was directly from 2 MOE employees, a hatchery worker I know, and one of the local CO's. All of them said pretty much the same thing, in that the majority of the fish were released below the hatchery as they have been for several years now. I suppose it is possible they were all in error, or even perhaps leading me (and the other 2 fellas I was with) intentionally astray, but I can see no point in them doing so [?]

quote:In anycase it beats the old release location where all the fish milled around the Sproat confluence, with the jets the only guys benefitting and pretty much no shore angling access whatsoever.

When the fish were released at the older sites, they did not all simply gravitate to the Confluence (although this was a common myth being circulated at the time). A very good number infiltrated the Sproat right up to the lake, and provided an excellent fishery - one that is but a mere ghost of it's former self today. And the area of the Bucket held great numbers of fish as well. I fondly recall numerous double digit days back then in that area and up to the Falls.

While bank access is limited in the lower, the fishery then easily supported a good number of private drift boat excursions, again, something that is now a thing of the past.

quote:Originally posted by Blackleech

...Aren't you a bank fisherman Nog?

Chiefly. However as noted in the past we used to do a LOT of drifts in the lower. Then a fair number of fish held there. Now, they do not. And sadly the drift boat might get hauled to the flow once or twice a season now. Hell of an investment for something that sees so little use.

Beeky One: Go Get Stuffed [}:)]

In the past, the Falls were the natural separation line between Summer run and winter run fish. The majority of the former leapt the Falls with consistency, whereas the winters stayed below. There were a handful of reasons the site selection was reviewed and altered to where they are today, but I believe the largest of those relates to the ease of releasing directly from the hatchery (as apposed to removed sites) and to some extent funding. The situation today, as I have been led to believe, is that the winter component of hatchery steelhead are now largely released close to the hatchery. This means that upon their return, they run there as quickly as the flow regime will allow. There, they not only mix and spawn with the remaining "wild" winter stock, but with the summer run fish that are also present in those reaches above the confluence with the Ash River. None of that is desirable from a responsible management point of view.

In addition to the biological implications, the current situation also plays havoc with angler success and effort concentration. The Falls have VERY</u> much become a running joke. Standing on one rock all day long casting to fish holding and awaiting sufficient water to jump the barrier is NOT steelhead fishing IMO. Yet, by the very choice of release sites, the management team is directly influencing this to occur - it is one of the few places where a reasonable opportunity of success exists. Anglers being anglers, a great many will focus on that as their only real option. Indeed, I have done so myself.

By changing the release sites to a series of lower areas (for arguments sake say 25% at the confluence, 25% at the Bucket, and the remaining 50% between the Bucket and the Falls), the fish would hold over a much larger area once again below the Falls. This would have a double positive effect in keeping the hatchery winter run largely below the Falls (and eliminate the intermingling with both wild winters and summer run fish), while affording much more angling opportunity spread over a much larger area (and thus greatly alleviate the crowding issues of today).

Not rocket science. Rather easy to do. All it takes is enough of us expressing the concerns related to today's management practices to effect change.

While I do hear what a few are saying regarding the "good" fishing this season, I also have the luxury of knowing well a good number of folks who have fished it for a serious length of time. Their observations are pretty much the same as what I've outlined above. In fact this exact matter has been the subject of a great number of bankside discussions, spilling over into just as many discussions off the flow. Yes, there have been some decent days. However to these folks and myself, they are very much sporadic in comparison to the fishery of the past. Working towards an even better fishery (while maintaining the winter run below the Falls to prevent intermingling with wild and summer stocks) cannot be a bad thing. Or can it?

Nog

What a great post Nog.Whenever i see your user name on the thread i want to read it cause i know it will be a very intelligent and informed post.I miss the days of old on the Stamp when i guy could row down the river and on a good day hit double digits,man those were some glorious times, unfortunatly only memories now.

In the face of that crappy situation, my confidence is actually somewhat restored. Nog's explanations go a long way to reassuring me that two Stamp skunks in a row is not my own fault. I was getting a little concerned that too much book learning was crowding out the fishing skills.

Is it still raining up there? I have tentative hopes for SUNday.

quote:Originally posted by Dinnertime

What a great post Nog.Whenever i see your user name on the thread i want to read it cause i know it will be a very intelligent and informed post.I miss the days of old on the Stamp when i guy could row down the river and on a good day hit double digits,man those were some glorious times, unfortunatly only memories now.

Good post Nog.Im sure the fishing was better in the past but I hit double digits from shore more than a few days a year so I'm sure you can still do it even easier on a decent drift.

From what I heard today, the river is looking pretty ugly. Very high and running brown.

Screw it im headin back this weekend i need to fish or more likely walk through a flooded forest. Ill be out solo sat afternoon, sunday. If anyone could throw up water conditions tomorrow it would be greatly appreciated. Tight lines.

4 got 2 write a comment.........heres some high water fishin with a couple of reliable buddies:D

shakes

i wish the stamp stayed like it was today all year. hittin slabs in 3 feet of water in the trees. only saw one guy and fished everything from the bucket to the slide. amazing day:D

Fished it today and no love even though the water i was fishing looked great. Saw a few fish hit on the stamp but didnt seem hot. Sproat is still unfishable i tried for bit in the trees.Ran into shake a paw nice to meet you.

nice 2 meet u 2 kelly.....just shook hands with 1 in the morn.and i managed 2 land a chrome wild hen neer the end of the day!!!

shakes

Was up in the Hills late yesterday (sightin' in a couple of the rifles), and drove by the Ash and then the Stamp at GCL just at dusk. The Standing Waves under the bridge are Awesome! As is the volume of water roaring down both systems - both way up in the timber even though right high up in the system.

With last night and this mornings' deluge (and HUGE Winds!) methinks it will be a day or two before I resume The Search. Good thing for the new sausage machine! Keepin' me from missing it too much... :D

Cheers,
Nog

Given the confusion about the release sites for Stamp Somass steelhead I contacted Mike at MELP and asked him where the winter smolts are now released. He said that 1/3 are released BELOW the confluence of the Stamp and Sproat and 2/3 are released at the gun range.

While you were on the phone u should have asked him how his "private fishery" has been this year....;)

Pass the Pack

Are you making reference to all the "private fishing" that all jet boats engage in on the Stamp or just Mike in particular?

One of the things we sort of take for granted in Canada is more or less equal treatment and equal access to all. I find the whole situation on the stamp of blatently unequal treatment rather distasteful.

With that in mind I, like many others avoid the new and improved Stamp and choose to get our fishing fix elswhere.

I was curious myself about why the fish in the stamp seemed to have changed over time and that is why I asked Mike where the smolts were now released.

quote:Are you making reference to all the "private fishing" that all jet boats engage in on the Stamp or just Mike in particular?

LOL I have to say it's kind of funny listening to the jet people complain about the so called "elitism" of fly fishermen when the Stamp jet fishery is about as elitist as you can get!

If you fished the stamp regularly, you would know that 99% of the guys fishing from jets are more than freindly and respectfull to the shore fishermen. Ive never heard of a group of jet fishermen trying to get a river turned into jet fishing only. I dont know how many times Ive received bad looks from fly chuckers simply because I'm using gear. Look what the "elite" fly groups have done to the Cowie, Big/little Q etc. I'm not saying all fly fishermen are like that but it seems like quite a few are.

only some of us were confused about the release sites....[:0]

Unfortunatley Nog's Skull is as thick as his name suggests.

Thanks for making it official Onefish..

Cheers

Fog

can someone explain to me what elitist flyfisherman means. you guys talk about flyfisherman like their a different species. i love steelheading fishing but i also love flyfishing for trout the cariboo rivers in the summer. how does that make me any less of a steelheader? are you guys referring to the few spey ive met on the vedder who think they are gods of fishing and above everyone else

Back