SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

looks like poon troubles there! Yikes! Is there a story to go with that fish?

-Steve

yeah, doug felt like giving me a workout :D
No, it just didn't grab - went right through each time, but no stick - blew out the guts. Was talking to another guy yesterday about it - had 2 suggestions, 1. replace the o ring with a bit of plumbers tape, 2. replace the head with a lightning bolt head.

Maybe Doug can expand on the story!
Wasn't going anywhere with the circle hook though.

quote:Originally posted by Doug

I agree, the "O" ring is the problem, so it will be removed.

It was entertaining to watch Dave bring the fish up three time, by the third time we had to get him a chair.

DF

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

I'd of taken the chair the 2nd time up ;)

quote:Originally posted by Deewar25

out with Doug and another buddy yesterday off race, 47 and a 22 for our troubles...caught the 47 3 times. Workout but a fun day not battling the salmon herd.

35763_404028350657_622875657_4873608_7175286_n.jpg

Looks like a victim of gang violence!:D Well done.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

We had the same problem with our poon, even with the "o" ring out, the design of the straight harpoon tip can still come back through had it happen to me even with the "o" ring out.. I have a friend who is a good welder I gave him some pictures and he welded an off set stainless tail to the shaft end of our straight harpoon tip. Problem solved.. here are some examples of the off set tail he welded to our harpoon tip.. if you get it welded you can customize it a bit to the way you like, I actually filed mine down a bit so its not as wide..and you can custom what sides and ends you want sharp or dull..
http://www.blueoceantackle.com/unrigged_harpoon_darts_stainless.jpg
http://www.blueoceantackle.com/stainless_harpoon_dart.jpg

[/quote]

yeah, doug felt like giving me a workout :D
No, it just didn't grab - went right through each time, but no stick - blew out the guts. Was talking to another guy yesterday about it - had 2 suggestions, 1. replace the o ring with a bit of plumbers tape, 2. replace the head with a lightning bolt head.

Maybe Doug can expand on the story!
Wasn't going anywhere with the circle hook though.
[/quote]

I take the O ring off forsure, then I use a thin layer of vasaline on the tip to make it slip in and out easy ;) Works like a charm!

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

I take the O ring off forsure, then I use a thin layer of vasaline on the tip to make it slip in and out easy ;) Works like a charm!

-Steve

I won't even comment to that statement - I'm sure some sickos will though :D

Why would you stick a harpoon through the biggest piece of meat on a hali Poppa Swiss?
Gut shot everytime. Just closer to the middle of the fish then shown in the picture.
Nice fish. Good work.

Tips

Hmm, I'm with the shoulder shot myself. Never a belly shot here. I would hate to lose a big fish because I wanted to preserve the quality of the shoulder.

I say too much risk and damage to a big fish by pooning the belly. The number of holes in that picture prove it.

I always shoot for the belly and save the meat. As soon as you shoot into the meat it is damaged with blood spotting and has to be cut out. Also hitting the belly provided a good bleeding while it hangs in the water beside the boat.

Once the spear head has released into the fish belly, I have never had it pull out. But I've only caught fish up to 100 lb so I don't know how it would works with a monster.

Out of the last 100 halis I've speared only 4 time the spear didn't stick and that 4 X where in the last few weeks. It must be the spear, I'm not giving into that it's me and me losing my sight, getting to old, not using good enough gear, don't know what I'm doing, ......................

I really like the welded on barb spear head. But first I'll try the removal of the O ring and lubrication.

I'll keep practicing and practicing and practicing.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Crappy harpoon head is the reason for those wholes. Location of the pooning was not the issue (although should be much closer the the center of the fish.) The Pectoral fin makes for a good target.
To each his own. I have never had an issue. Bleeds out and saves the meat.

Tips

Agree with Doug and Tips Up, but have to add make sure the head is not rusted on! Not saying that I have been there, done that!...BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back