SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

Not really being serious but what would happen if we turned in every head then? [}:)]
And is there even a head depot in Sooke?

I'd bet if we all turned them in, it would show our catch % of nicola as a much smaller piece of the pie than the 40%? from last year they showed. Would that mean anything? Well, the fish still aren't there, but it may have perhaps helped the sport fishers case that we aren't taking as much as thought and perhaps we'd be back to 2/day July 1 or something instead of the latest 1 and 1. Pure speculation really and we will never know!

As to depots:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/depots-eng.pdf

Looks like 6 different locations in sooke alone - every entry point to the water covered.

that is pretty insane. I assume that is JDF strait and not Sooke, but still, lets use the JDF derby - 300 weighed in over 2 days - thats all the top dogs out on the water, likely double the density of normal. That max rate, you'd be talking 4500 fish for the month....SURE, if there was a derby every day of the month!

On the assumption that we are talking waterfront to renfrew, I would think 2500 is more realistic...Renfrew isn't heavily targeted for springs by then.

If that number is just Sooke - lets say Pedder to Sheringham, I'd lay good odds 1500 tops.

Feel free to start a new thread about it, but well, Sooke reports will be dead for 2 weeks, so we may as well discuss the causes!

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

TURN IN YOUR HEADS.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

I think its more about being cooperative with the creel surveys vs the heads. % of hatch caught vs wild is probably 2% once summer rolls around, so the heads aren't telling them too much. Only thing really giving good indication is the creel - something many have willingly turned their nose up at over the last several years.

DFO has to do their part too and get all the points of access covered as much as they can (even if its just 1 day/weekend and 1 or 2 days during the week). I'm sure they could start a volunteer link on the website and get interest if its just a matter of manpower. I'm sure it would have helped all of us too if they hammered the point about the penalty clause years ago.

Like a millpond out there today, a real treat! We were into 5 fish total, two wilds release in the high teens, one hatch job and a double header we never saw. lots of bait around as well as a promising amount of fish marked. Spoon was outfishing the bait today. 4.0 coyote 50/50 blue & nickle. Fished between the Trap and the Head 60-80 feet

Good chatting with you today Tubbed Out.

www.tailspincharters.com

Released about a 25 lber today thank god it wasnt gill hooked man there was a lot of boats out today what a beutiful day out there "FINALLY"

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Good to see someone got something.. Wolf saw ya working it hard with the ladies. Did not see one net all day. Hope it picks up for the derby ??

The old Blue Wolf even catches without Wolf himself...hmm.. Maybe it was his boat ONLY all those years we thought he does magic??? :D
One hatch ~ 8 lbs by Rockfish at Secretary on hootchie today.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

The old Blue Wolf even catches without Wolf himself...hmm.. Maybe it was his boat ONLY all those years we thought he does magic??? :D
One hatch ~ 8 lbs by Rockfish at Secretary on hootchie today.

glad u guys got out - how'd the ol girl handle?

Runs like a well trained lady! lol
Little more practice and Rick will be a pro! Of course the electronics had to play havoc with us today but we will sort it out soon I think. Was fun.

I can tell you it was kinda weird seeing the ol girl out there with out me in it but I know she went to someone who will look after her well....She has many enjoyable trips still in her she caught me two of the biggest fish off of sooke.

Fins when your out there next time say hi would ya!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Was into a dozen springs on Friday, kept 3 (17 pound hatch the biggest) released 5 up to 27 and lost 4 more...into 5 on Saturday, released 4, 23, 22, 17 and 12 pounds. Quieter for us Sunday, lost 3 kept 1 wild around 9 pounds.

Was into a dozen springs on Friday, kept 3 (17 pound hatch the biggest) released 5 up to 27 and lost 4 more...into 5 on Saturday, released 4, 23, 22, 17 and 12 pounds. Quieter for us Sunday, lost 3 kept 1 wild around 9 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back