Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Time to fish the salt off Sooke for a bit and hit some rivers with the fly rod. Chum salmon are fun too in Saanich inlet and on Sooke river etc. A few more days to grab some lingcod too. That closes Sept 30.

Time to fish the salt off Sooke for a bit and hit some rivers with the fly rod. Chum salmon are fun too in Saanich inlet and on Sooke river etc. A few more days to grab some lingcod too. That closes Sept 30.

NautiGirl,

Just curious, where do you fly fish in Sannich inlet?
Thanks,

HS.

Speaking of ling cod anyone have some tips/tricks for them in the victoria area? See some big frames in the water at esquimalt anglers quite often. I have been meaning to get out off the break wall for a jig but have not gotten out yet. I had no luck on halibut this year I guess I better get my butt in gear if I want some white meat this winter. Is there ever action out at constance for lings?

Hey J.

I haven't caught Lings at Constance but I've jigged up some monsters at rocky reefs closer to shore.
Here's a tip. When you feel that you've caught a small cod, don't reel up right away. Let the little cod run around down there until they run out of juice. The big Lings latch on to the little cod right up until you get them in the net. The perfect eatting ling is about 3' long. Any bigger and you you can start seeing too many creepy crawlies in the flesh. These big ones get chucked back. There's a couple of spots near Victoria where the same aggressive oversized lings have latched onto little rock cods repeatedly until we've had to beat them off with the boat oar. And then you can still see them circling around under the boat waiting for you to throw back the little cod. Scary !
I leave the lings off the breakwater alone since my scuba diving son told me about how tame they are. They hand feed them. :)

Ling off the breakwater and cruiseship docks, plus out near the first bend in Saanich inlet near Bamberton. Chum salmon are hard to catch, but there are lots in the bays on the east side of Saanich Inlet from Pat Bay to Deep Cove, especially at in morning and at sunset they feed on small baitfish there and they push the bait up into the shallows.

Not sure about Ogden at the moment but when I have caught them there they always seem to be closed...I know what he says about hand feeding,we cut plugged off the wall once not sure but I think we caught the same one 4X.Dead Sea for ling sounds like the Pink Lady ;)...SS

Hey craven try oak bay fish 8 to 12 on the weekend right on the bottom that's your fav spot.It was a four person limit

oak bay today

I read these last cryptic posts and figured I that I should give it a shot for a couple of hours this morning.
I tried the craven lure while using the craven technique at the famous craven HOT SPOT and...................... I got saltydawged .( no offence intended.)
I did watch a couple of jiggers land a feeder though.
So I switched.
I Jigged up a wack of cod and all went back. Arms were getting sore ( No lings because I was trying)

Its a darn good thing I got a fabulous tan and dined on super sweet crab so I'm happy.
What a great day to be on the water even if I got skunked. :)

Fished the oak bay flats today in the fog. Two feeders 9 & 11lb, lost another, threw back 1 wild coho. All bites 70-80 feet.

Last day for lingcod until next year. Went out the last two nights to Pier A at Ogden point. Two nights ago I was reeling in a jig too fast and it launched out of the water and I had a keeper size (65cm+) ling launch airborne chasing my jig. He missed the jig and took off. Never seen a flying ling before, but they look mean with the mouths open like that. Went last night with a friend and our kids. Lead head jigs and steelhead rigs with anchovy both worked fast. caught two fish in the first 5 minutes but both undersize a bit. Caught some more and spotted a nice 3 footer chasing a jig and turning away last minute. The action stopped at sunset both nights. The kids loved it. Take them out- with a tape measure tonight. Drive right up, fish off the parking lot.

Try the breakwall ;)..ss

Took advantage of the lighter currents and flat waters yesterday and hit Constance for about 3 hours. Picked up 2 nice clipped Coho both on Coho-Killers right near the bottom. Saw a handful of other boats out there and everyone seemed to be hooking up. Back to the crab trap and pulled out a full trap with 5 large males that hit the BBQ today!!!

Back