SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job on releasing those springs... unfortunetly they will be swimming into one of the MANY nets that await them in the Fraser. Natives have had a drift and set net opening since friday. In langley you could almost jump from boat to boat. I think that they are allowed to net below the Port Mann as of today. My buddies in Chilliwack say lots of nets around there and they are doing pretty well. Maybe Charlie can find the opening dates.

Another great move by DFO!!!

The great hode

Good job on releasing those springs... unfortunetly they will be swimming into one of the MANY nets that await them in the Fraser. Natives have had a drift and set net opening since friday. In langley you could almost jump from boat to boat. I think that they are allowed to net below the Port Mann as of today. My buddies in Chilliwack say lots of nets around there and they are doing pretty well. Maybe Charlie can find the opening dates.

The great hode

The smelt are almost gone and they now have a no fishing ban when they are in the river to spawn since they are "most vulnerable to fishing activities". It would make sense to apply this restriction to salmon once they enter the river as well!! Good management DFO !!

Subject: FN0425-COMMERCIAL & RECREATIONAL - Areas 28 & 29 - Surf Smelt: Fishing Period Closure Notification

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Pelagics: Smelt,
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0425-COMMERCIAL & RECREATIONAL - Areas 28 & 29 - Surf Smelt: Fishing Period Closure Notification

This notice is a reminder to smelt fish harvesters of the two month
conservation closure in effect from June 15 through August 15, 2010 in Areas 28
and 29. As outlined in the 2010 Surf Smelt Integrated Fisheries Management Plan
(IFMP), this closure period has been implemented to protect stocks during the
peak spawning period when they are most vulnerable to fishing activities.

For further information on smelt fishers are advised to visit the Surf Smelt
web page at:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/340244.pdf

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Barbara Mueller (604) 666-2370

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0425
Sent June 14, 2010 at 09:34
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

quote:Originally posted by Truth

The great hode

The smelt are almost gone and they now have a no fishing ban when they are in the river to spawn since they are "most vulnerable to fishing activities". It would make sense to apply this restriction to salmon once they enter the river as well!! Good management DFO !!

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Pelagics: Smelt,
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

This notice is a reminder to smelt fish harvesters of the two month
conservation closure in effect from June 15 through August 15, 2010 in Areas 28
and 29. As outlined in the 2010 Surf Smelt Integrated Fisheries Management Plan
(IFMP), this closure period has been implemented to protect stocks during the
peak spawning period when they are most vulnerable to fishing activities.

For further information on smelt fishers are advised to visit the Surf Smelt
web page at:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/340244.pdf

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Barbara Mueller (604) 666-2370

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0425
Sent June 14, 2010 at 09:34
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

quote:Originally posted by Truth

The great hode

Out in the big stuff until 2pm on Sunday. Ran up to Otter around 12:30 to catch the bite. Tide was ripping, big swell coming in on the Point, a great white water show, water was full of silt and sand, looked really cool, lots of weed coming from the shallows so hard to fish it. Hit one fish at 35 feet before giving my dry heaving client a break and heading for the barn.

Out in the big stuff until 2pm on Sunday. Ran up to Otter around 12:30 to catch the bite. Tide was ripping, big swell coming in on the Point, a great white water show, water was full of silt and sand, looked really cool, lots of weed coming from the shallows so hard to fish it. Hit one fish at 35 feet before giving my dry heaving client a break and heading for the barn.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

:) Couldn't reel it in while dry heaving???

I think it was probably more like I was at my limit of listening to the heaves. :D They are coming out again next week so hopefully they get a nicer day.

Hit the water for an evening fish, trolled the Head to the Trap. Hit one 14 pound wild, and lost another one about the same. Both on blue chrome Coyote spoons and purple haze flasher. Shallow only 43ft deep. Ive never marked so many fish in the trap before in my life crazy!

-Steve

Turn your sensitivity down a bit on your sounder and you will see not soo many fish........
know of a few guys out today and they didnt get one hit not saying your not a good fisherman but these 2 are great fisherman soooo well you know im out tommorow and ill see how it is...

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Cant miss me now as there is some signage on it but im going west to lok around say hi if you do se me..26 fthourston

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

slow slow slow all I have to say!!! a few smaller springs ... maybe the year for a 15 lb feeder to win it LOL LOL hoefully something shows up!!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

They are out there. But few and far between. This derby will give a great idea whats goin on out there!

Good luck to all!

-Steve

Looking forward to being able to keep a fish. With any luck some extra cash or a prize this weekend if not at least a fish for the barbi! (finally)

out with Doug and another buddy yesterday off race, 47 and a 22 for our troubles...caught the 47 3 times. Workout but a fun day not battling the salmon herd.

35763_404028350657_622875657_4873608_7175286_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back