Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

went out Saturday morning in the pea soup fog my buddy got a teenager (spring) we missed one other and hit and released 10 socks at muir creek 6am - 11:30am. came home did some honey do's then went out with another friend for the night bite 4 spring in 2 hours 2 25's 2 teens. everybody had fish on. 6:30 - 8:30pm.

we got then all at 50ft 3 on bait 1 on a white squirt

Between millions of pinks we landed one spring around 20# and released a nice sock around the tide change in the morning. Lost another spring when my son gave it a try. He did everything right - it just spat the hook after a couple of long runs. Lots of fun - actually downright exhausting. Ran out of bait by 10. All east of Becher Bay. The spring we lost was on a large spoon to keep the pinks off.
Saw a few mid 20's at the dock at Cheanuh by 11.

Fished possession yesterday and got into 7 springs. Bunch of 8-12 lbers then got into a 20 around 11. Then had my 8 weight fly rod with a island 4.0 packed with mono on back rod for some pinks or coho and wham! Got into a spring around 40 plus. Let's just say was my best fight of my life due to being on that rod! Got it to the boat twice and had a inexperienced buddy with me who had never fished had it half in the net and back to bottom. Got it back up to boat for second chance and he missed again and pop! It sat there for 5 seconds just out of his reach, o well was unreal battle and she got to go home! Then around 1230 trolling around about to pull gear wham! Got a 36 and had another great battle but on a Reg rod. What a day. Will remember that one for quite sometime!

Rockfish, good to hear you are back on the water! Are you sure those were Coho and not sockeye? I got almost fooled as well with the sockeye we had yesterday.

Great story D.O.! A forty lb'er on a fly rod. Quite something. What was the fly/lure it took? A bucktail??

I continue to be awed by the tales of multiple hook ups with 20lb plus fish per trip posted on this forum. I have so much to learn to get to anywhere that, it is daunting. I still don't understand how those guys catch fish around the reefs and bumps less than 120' deep around Possession and the Trap etc. I can't keep the rockfish and baby ling cod off when I go in there!! LOL

WOW AWSOME show of the killer whale pod breaching and spyhopping. and more. so fishing was a tad slo wmanaged a nice spring and topped up with a limit of pinks and a couple of hatch cohos got video of guy reeling in pinks with 10 orcas coming right at us got to admit really cool.

Wolf

Ya we saw about ten whale boat blow by us at the Bedfords. Kids out for a Pinky show, tons of action even 3 big Sockeye we had to put back. Good to see though. Tons of boats on the water. How far west were those whales?

WOW AWSOME show of the killer whale pod breaching and spyhopping. and more. so fishing was a tad slo wmanaged a nice spring and topped up with a limit of pinks and a couple of hatch cohos got video of guy reeling in pinks with 10 orcas coming right at us got to admit really cool.

Wolf

It's funny how usually we take them for granted and they are more a pain in the arse, but once in a while, we still get a show that has us staring in awe. Our trip to Malcolm a few weeks back, we are heading home around Donegal and next thing we know, we are doing a head on with 15 whales. We kill the engine and sit on it as there was little else we could do and I got some good footage from it. Was a crazy show and I'm damn glad they time their surface just right! There were probably close to 20 that came through while we were there and that was after 10 to 15 earlier in the day. Pretty sweet this place we live!

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/deewar25/?action=view&current=whales.mp4

Love to see your video if you get a chance to upload.

Good Bite early from the Head to the Trap, landed 2 of 5 springs for the Victoria Legion Derby. Amazing weather.

037.jpg

Nice job on the 36 Drew.

Fished out of pedder bay this weekend with my two buddies.

In about 12 hours fishing over 3 days we bonked:

15 pinks
4 springs about 11 or 12 lbs each
1 18lb halibut.

caught and released 3 wild coho, 1 sockeye, 2 undersized springs and 3 small ling cods. Lots and lots of action on the

rods makes for a great trip. Especially since my two buddies hadn't done much fishing in the past.

we had one monster spring on and got it right near the boat but my buddy didn't work the drag fast enough and it snapped

the line (30lb test) when it tried to run after he got it to the boat. Oh well, lesson learned and fun had by all.

Caught all the pinks and the halibut on pink hoochies with pink haze flashers everywhere from 30 to 125 feet. Caught the

springs and coho with a coyote spoon and purple haze flasher from 80 to 125 feet. didn't run any bait at all this trip.

Didn't seem to need it.

Yep stick a skinny little guy behind a fish and it looks HUGE LOL LOL
good job drew....you and Pac should fish together as it seems you both have some questionable friends.... but i bet you havent had one go thru your front windshield!!!!!yet... LOL LOL
classics

Wolf

Rockfish, good to hear you are back on the water! Are you sure those were Coho and not sockeye? I got almost fooled as well with the sockeye we had yesterday.

The first 3 were definitely Coho as we got a look at their gums while removing the hook. The third one I think was a Coho but since there are no chums around this time of year, if it does not have lots of spots or is clipped, we know we can’t keep it so we flip them loose without a lot of study.

Last edited by a moderator:
YOU will get chum ive even got them in JUNE study and look at all your fish im seeing a few jacks which people think are pinks hitting the decks as well. cmon guys

Wolf

Lol that fish would look like a jack in ur mitts Roy. Nope no windshield damage for me yet. Got luna with a few bottle rockets on sat and almost made him dive through his though lol. Will be out there tomorrow Buzz ya on the radio.

My son caught a 25 pounder at Otter Point today. We made so many mistakes it was a miracle we caught it but we did and it was delicious!!

Back