Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Great job! I still have the picture of me holding my first 13lber proudly on my wall and it will never come down! Memories always beat the size of the fish and oddly enough, the fish start to get bigger the more you start to catch!

A quick morning trip to fill the smoker yesterday ... lots of pinks in the deep water off Secretary. Not fast & furious, no double headers, but steady action. I did not see any springs caught off possession on the troll by, but heard a rumour of a 30 pounder caught in the am.

sooke%2Bpinks.jpg

Out for a quick one with Addicted in the morn for a 3hr shift. Fished Sooke until the wind came up 19 and a 35 in the box. That fish fought like I haven't seen for years, I think Addicted's are is still soar from cranking on that one!

I've recovered fine bud... Great day on the water and it's sure nice to see that our rolls work on our boats still! lol..... Especially for the elusive kelp fish!

Here is a report for you drilleryells...out Wed and Thurs:

Wed was flat calm but very slow for springs in the trap shack area. Lots of pinks around at all depths but we were not targeting them so found them more annoying than anything. we did not pick up anything good and only saw one (spring) netted between 6:30 am and 3:00 pm.

Thursday was windy but some springs were around (again at trap). We ended up with a 20 and a 25 with lots of pinks mixed in too. Between the wind, the weeds, and the pinks it was hard to keep the lines in the water for any length of time. Our fish came on purple haze at 86 feet on the downrigger. Didn't get a chance to see any other good fish netted because we were too busy but I did hear to talk on the radio of other fish coming in. The wind started to blow people off of the water at about 10:30 and we packed it in shortly after that.

I should have called you guys, Pack , Mama.... last night. I went for a 2 hour solo fish after dropping the boat back in. Double header crossover, high teens low 20s lost both, lol. Then the wind hammered. Good to see lots of fish around.

Still waiting for that call Wilson.... I owe you a trip or two on my rig soon if you wanna slum it for a day or two...

fished at otter from 6 till 2, mega pinks, ran out of chovies by 11, three springs last one was a 23, at 80 ft, on Herring in a teaser head. easterners were mightily impressed when the 23 hit the floor.... good day Driller

SLOW for me today couldnt land a spring 2 on and GONE so had a kid on board out to go get pinks didnt really hear or see much going on...
Driller you out tommorow??? say hi if you see me....

Fished from 7-1.30 from muir to sheringham in the fog, pink show, couple of big pulls but no luck on the springs, boat is put to bed and have a 7.00 o'clock checkin, monday, at the south terminal for points north,langara here we come, ye ha Driller

Great day for you. Nice pics I was out at the Bank with Overdraft yesterday Managed a 27hali on plastic but couldn't keep the dogs off using bait. Got a bit breezy so we quit early

Lost a couple good springs at the trap around 530am ,managed a 18 at 1100 at the head. Did release a couple of nice socks , double the size of pt alberni fish. Humps were a problem in the morning for a few hours, some guys still bring all the gear in and put the boat in neutral for a 3 to 5 ld pink

Hit the short window with the famous Bush Pilot and the Pipefitter, utter mayham...45 minutes from the pick drop... 3 hali to 57 lbs. No Luck on the Springs, pink central. lol. Saw some good Springs at the table, one was low thirties. Fogshow, but a amazing day.:cool:

010.jpg

Up at Nootka guys. 82 spring played in 3 days!!!!!

Fished around Secretary again in the heavy fog, and later, when it finally lifted, directly out front of the harbour. No chinook again at all today and did not see any caught either. Got a mess of pinks with my brother from U.K., a more than adequate consolation for a foreign visitor!! Incredible flat glassy calm all day and really nice to see the sun in July for a change (where has it been??), albeit late in the afternoon.

We must have had around 20 fish on today. Released four unclipped Coho and a bunch of Pinks. Lost two Chinook early (one of which looked over 20 and then put four nice Chinook in the boat including 3 cookie cutters of 21 lbs each and one 11 lber. The three 21’s were on a great bite in the pm and we could not even get the 2nd rod down when resetting before we had another one on. We ran out of Anchovies so the 21’s were all on glow hootchies. Had to go out deeper and fish for our last pink after that. It was hard to leave in the middle of the big Chinook bite. Filled our last pink spot and went home.

We also wasted some time early trying to grab (without success) a flasher that was being towed around on the surface by a big Chinook. Felt kind of sorry for it; I guess it broke somebody off and there is less resistance to towing a flasher flat on the surface for a tired fish. I would think a seal will get it since it can’t dive much.

Also past close to four larger boats all tied up rafted together trolling east and appearing to be having a good time partying. Got a picture of them going away from us. Ran into a guy at the dock who had released 8 large sockeye – so when are they going to open sockeye????

All in all, a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back