Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Sunday was quiet for me at Muir creek.
Now that I,m back to work...... TODAY will be the day. :)

Launched from Cheanuh Sunday am. Fished beachy head and the shack 5-1, hooked up 5 times. Only landed a small spring and a 19lbs spring. I still haven't broken the 20lbs. On army truck teasers. 45-80ft on the rigger.

Yesterday I trolled from the trailer park all the way to Point No Point and back to Sheringham. Lost track of the number of small chinooks which I caught all under 4 pounds (15 at least). Two good hit and runs which did not stay hooked at Sheringham.

Left Sooke Harbour very early in the morning on that huge ebb tide with an opposing wind. It was ugly. Took two waves over the roof of my 19 foot glasply. Don;t want to do that again.

Im pretty sure u told everyone to zap strap the top door of a commercial style trap so a guy couldn't break in and rob you, Ya makes it harder to get in but illegal as the strap that keeps the top door from opening must have a rot cord inline to allow the trap to open up if left for a period of time. A couple lost or cut off zap straped traps sitting in an area will keep fishing and can do major damage to an area.

Nice first couple of posts. You should probably quit while you are behind. It is easy to zap strap the hinged half lid stretching closure mechanism on a commercial style trap to indicate if they have been tampered with in such a way that it does not interfere at all with the normal operation of the rot cord and it’s ability to free the lid to open and free the crabs if the trap is lost and the rot cord rots out.

Once the zap strap is in place, the lid will open if any of the following occur: the zap strap is cut off and the trap opened normally, the rot cord is cut or the rot cord rots out.

If the zap strap is cut off or the rot cord is cut, it indicates that the trap has been tampered with.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK back to what this is intended for My report for the day today was 2 nice springs a feeder and 2 hatchery coho and 2 sockeye (what a shame to let go) WAS very lumpy this am then calmed down for a bit, still not red hot but fish are here just have to wait them out...

Wolf

Well sick of getting skunked in Victoria i slugged it up the hill to otter first thing this am. It was not nice water. Made it possession but the water wasn't getting any better. Trolled down to the head and then picked up an moved to otter when the tide shifted a bit and it calmed off some. Picked up a nice 16 lb spring right away on a plug. Middle top rod at 30 '. Finally ending a long drought. Trolled between otter and sheringham catching the odd wild coho and jack. Lost another teenager at the boat. Had fun. Sounded lot of bait and fish. Sure nice to be back in my old stomping grounds.

The plug out fished the two rods with bait.

The bonus was deciding to stop at cheanuh for fuel and noticed it was 15 cents cheaper than victoria marine fuels.

JL

Very lumpy today heading out west today, but the fish are around. Managed four Chinook between 17 and 21 lbs and also released a couple more greater than 67 cm at the boat, also the coho were coming on strong in the afternoon. Best times were just after the flood tide began mid morning till early afternoon. Just a note but take it easy coming out of the harbour mouth when the tide is ebbing hard in the morning saw some pretty heavy waves at first light swamp more than one boat going to quick!

Attachments

• IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,042
Tomic 727 5 inch. And keep in mind we didnt catch a lot of fish. Just noted that it did just as good or slightly better than two rods with chovies like normal.

A few years ago we had an epic day on plugs at muir creek shallow. We caught them on the purple haze 500 and the pilchard one (can remember the number). The mind bender is that when it is slow what do you use? Choves right? Choves will alway be on the outside rods. But I have had a lot of success on the shallow rod over the past few years. Got to think the shallow fish are the ones feeding.

Plugs and big spoons are good to cover water faster to find the bait or their hiding spot. They are also good in pink years as bait savers. Also 3-4" plugs are great for winter springs. No flashers great fights.

Anyway.

JL

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya its a funny thing about Sooke. Not many people catch fish on gear cause not many people are fishing gear. I used to think that bait was the only way to go up north until I started fishing gear. Once I made the switch, I actually caught more fish than with the bait, downside was not as big.

I am same too. It was hard to get out of bait mode as well... Now I fish both... Me thinks I will put a plug down just for fun next time... I caught a nice spring on an epex lat year goofing around.... Just never know.

Ya its a funny thing about Sooke. Not many people catch fish on gear cause not many people are fishing gear. I used to think that bait was the only way to go up north until I started fishing gear. Once I made the switch, I actually caught more fish than with the bait, downside was not as big.

When there's strong current and/or crap in the water, a lot of times your bait isn't fishing properly. I mean what's the percentage of time that your bait is working perfectly, 80%, 50% I bet some guys 20% - depends how anal you are I guess.

You put a spoon down and unless weeds have fouled it, it's working perfectly, even if you change speed. Good to have both down, but bait isn't the be all end all that's for sure.

Fishing yesterday was good mixed bag of everything biggest was a 20 lber had a few others on as well but got lots of coho and sockeye, seemed all colors were working today, going to try the new Andrew P spoons today water was a bit better today not as lumpy the morning floods will be a welcome sight ...
good luck wolf

Attachments

• 9675.jpg
    9675.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 683
Fished 7:30am until 2:00pm today. Beautiful day with every kind of weather. Bright sun and swirling fog banks which kept enveloping us. Flat calm and and then a brisk cold NW wind towards lunchtime. More fog, then clearing completely again. More changes than a season....

Trolled anchovy around harbour mouth and down to trailer park and back. Tried along 90, 115, 130 foot contours. Never saw the elusive chinook. Just a couple of hits from coho which mostly did not stick. (At least, the one that came to the boat was a coho!!). Gave up on that, switched to hootchies and went out to 350' of water to play with the coho. Caught and released half dozen, and kept one clipped fish.

Very hot back at Sunny Shores.....glad I carry ice for the fish now. :)

Another fine day out there for the crew on the wolf biggest was a 24 lber along a 13 and a 10 and some coho semed green was the hot today... yesterday different color oh well.
AND tried the Andrew P spoons they worked GREAT... good work on the design think you may be on to something there my friend... ill drag it around on friday as well.

Good luck Wolf

By GREAT you mean the Sitka sand lance wacked the 24lbr or at least 2/3 chinooks?

Or we're ya just getting coho on it?

Fished the Bedfords today from 7-12:30. Two springs 13 & 14lbs between 8-9am both on bloody nose @ 70 - 80ft. Two wild coho let go. Tried one of the new TKO spoons for 1/2 hour before 1/2 the paint peeled off.

Back