Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Hello friends, looking to get out tomorrow in Sooke (probably Beechy Head) and was wondering how the water has been? With these morning ebbs and a south/southwest wind I imagine it's been a bit snarky in the mornings?

Sorry got the 16 lber on it and alot of other smaller and lost one on it it was better than the bait today ... and shallow 35 to 50 ft

I was out fishing with Rockfish today after a break for a week and a half. We decided to fish Secretary as it was foggy and the afternoon forecast wasn't looking that favorable to head out west. We got the lines down at 8am and by 8:15 we landed a nice spring - a 21lb red spring on a glow hoochie. We had a couple of other bites during the morning that didn't stick and lost a nice spring who took a couple of runs and spit the hook as he hit the surface 60 feet behind the boat. We had another hit at 1:30 on a chovie and Rockfish landed a 15lber and headed in before the current was starting to rip. 20140716_132348.jpg20140716_155410.jpg

Nice fish S.S.

By the looks of it Andy still hasn't spent a dime around his place lol. Am booked in for the middle of August again and I was wondering if he has done any improvements but I can see it's the same old same old.

AWESOME Terry glad your coming back please call me and ill come down for a bevie again be nice to see you again...

Wolf

Fished 7:30am - 12:00pm from Beechy Head to Secretary. Got into some clipped coho (landed 4) but that was about it. Lot's of boats out - I covered a lot of ground and legitimately did not see a single boat play a fish at any point during the day, but I hope I was simply looking the wrong way at the wrong time! Did see a boat with 5+ guys in it bring in a high 20's spring at Cheanuh; guy I chatted with at the dock said he got one coho and one spring. Crabbing was abysmal for me. I think the guys with their 20+ got it around 10pm at the Trap - seeing as that's right around current change, would make sense!

That said, most beautiful day on the water I've seen yet this season! Flat, blue sky, no fog - simply spectacular! Legitimately can't ask for more...well, maybe a nice Tyee or two :)

Fished the head to Trap this morning 6:30-11:30 15lb at the Trap at 9:30 on a Sitka spoon and lot's of ho's just no hatcherys for me .

Out of Sooke for the morning with D&D
2 hatchery Coho
3 springs, 14, 18, 21
Anchovy

Thanks Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Out this afternoon for 4 hours starting at noon. 8 spring up to 27 pounds, lost 2 more, released 2 wild Coho and one sockeye. Lots of action with a good long bite and lots of bait on the screen. Had to run up to the light to take the over 67cm's to make it an eight fish limit. Didn't matter fish were there in good number too. Here are the pics.

Here they come....game on... Can't complain about day like that...
Certainly a very encouraging post by Profisher. But a word of caution.
Fishing in Sooke is all about location, location, location. You can't catch fish that are not there. Profisher knows exactly where the fish are every tide, day or night throughout the season. No one else has put a post like that up for the day (check out the earlier posts of SookesofHazzard and Frayedknot) and the reason is most anglers, myself included, are not like Profisher.
So I for one, expect to plod on, catching a fish here or there, but never experiencing a day like Profisher has just posted, ever! After all only fishing gods can catch 8 fish up to 27lbs in 4 hours. Us mere mortals can only look on the pictures with awe!!:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one that happened to catch 2 pinks yesterday? I know my species and they are pinks. Also got wild coho and one smaller spring. Bait was working well for me. Ran out before the day was done.

Very negative post which is un-characteristic Englishman. Speak only for yourself - I am a fishing mortal and i have had and will have again days like that.

Dave those are the first pinks I've heard of this year - but the last two non pink years I have picked up a pink or two. No clue where they are headed must be smaller runs in some Fraser tribs or maybe US fish?

Is it a fact not a single pink enters the Fraser on non pink years?

There was a huge slide in the fraser canyon 60 odd years ago that all but wiped out the even year
pink run in the south. There are still some that trickle through.

I had a decent day yesterday fished from 5am-11 landed 3 springs biggest was a 18, the 12 was a white spring.kept 1 hachery coho relesed about 5 wild and a few undersize spring.went though 20 pieces of bait all which where struck by fish (mostly coho is my guess) switched to plastic and spoons for the last hour with no hits.couldnt get away from the coho yesterday at otter was pi king them up even shallow tight to the rocks

Back