Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

The Coho were everywhere the last few days and I have been going though 4+ packages of bait a day. Bring lots of bait and keep checking your gear because lots of damaged bait only had the tail section hit and if you don't see the light hit your trolling damaged bait which doesn't work.

Fishing in Sooke is all about location, location, location. You can't catch fish that are not there.

They are there you just have to know what your doing....

and the trick is to know what and where on certain tides plain and simple Rollie along with OTHER many guides and fisherman do as well , we all have been doing this a long time we recognize certain things that we have learnt its not something you "learn" by reading its called experience.

Its a tough thing if you dont listen or learn things out there. it can be tough and frustrating...

As for a report GREAT morning out there more and more fish are showing up had chinook, coho and sockeye today and the biggest today was caught on the new spoon by Andrew P time to get out there people!!!

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 563
nice fish wolf - looks like a mature beauty. how big?

Any tips for using the Andrew P spoon (seeing as you are catching pretty well with it)? I recently picked up a couple and have yet to give them a tow.

I ran Andrew's spoons on the port side and my daughter's nail polish painted pink/silver glitter teaser head with bait on the other side. Was only successful with the bait... Two in the high teens. Wolf, what length are you running with the Sitka spoons? 6' or less?

Out for a morning fish and thought the weather forcast would have us off pretty early...but the wind held off and we got a fish in on Otter. It was a bit lumpy with swells out there, but lack of fog and plenty of sunshine kept us around for awhile. This was the second time I have had just me an the wife out in the boat and she was gung-ho to catch some fish.

Picked up a coho right off with a glow and green tko(anchovie was still too frozen), but it was a wild so back it went. Picked some other coho too, most popped off when they started to thrash. My wife did manage to pull a little 8 pounder spring, and as it was her first fish we had to keep it. After the initial bite slowed down we thought make our way down to trailer park then motor back to Possesion...but then a pin popper decent hit happened and my wife was into her first decent fish battle. She did a great job getting it to the boat, but it managed to dive under the boat and bust the line...I hadn't covered that senario in the morning briefing! Anyway it was a decent fish, high teen to early twenties...sucks to get that far then lose it, but she knows what to do for next time...already on her way to being a fishing goddess!

It was a bit lumpy around otter so we headed over to Possesion to close out the afternoon...still thinking the wind would come up...and fished to 12:30ish picking up a nice 13 lbs on the backside of the island, and my wife got to net it for me.

Was an awesome day, can't wait to get out next week!

YES was a mature fat 17 lber and I personally met with Andrew to get me some of them he suggested a 4 ft leader so thats what im running, Ill be honest in saying after using the "other" brand after the amount of fish I have caught on them id be throwing it away, with this spoon looks just as good as the first day i fished it. happy so far.....

Anyone going out tomorrow? Was going to give it ago but thinking about sleeping in because it looks like it could be rather bumpy. Just checked and it is currently blowing 37 knots at Race and 28 at Sheringham and forcast for 15’s and a 20 for the Sat am in the less protected part of Gordons slowing to 10 in the pm. If it blows like this tonight it could build up some nice big ones by the morning. May be worth checking Big Wave Dave for the evening forecast update and in the am. I’am a bit of a wind sissy but then we are not being paid to work out there, we do it for fun.

Out this morning from 6am till noon and managed 2 springs, 18 and 14.5 pounds and a hatch coho. No where near as active as yesterday. It's been that kind of year with no consistency from day to day. Even the Coho weren't biting. Mabe went through a pack and a half of bait....so more time waiting than playing fish today for us. Both springs from the light.

BTW Wolf is right there are a few guides and individuals who are doing just as well as I have done some days. Funny thing though....Myself and Foghorn are the only two boats boats I see leaving a hot bite at Muir or Otter and running to Sheringham to get the 2nd over 67cm. Or maybe Wolf you are wrong and these other guys aren't as good as us.....hmmmmm think not. For those of you following these reports...I have no problem posting my pictures of big catches along with my text....they are all taken legit. Hate to sound like a broken record ....but if I can burn the gas to take fish within the rules....why aren't the rest doing it too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool show for us at the light this morning. This Sea King crew hovered real low for 45 minutes near the lighthouse, dropped a couple of guys down to the field and then practiced dropping a basket and getting a ground line to it to control its retrieval. Very skilled pilot, he had that bird locked into a stationary hover with obsticles not that far in front or behind the rotors. Very loud when you were close but still cool to watch.

Anyone going out tomorrow? Was going to give it ago but thinking about sleeping in because it looks like it could be rather bumpy. Just checked and it is currently blowing 37 knots at Race and 28 at Sheringham and forcast for 15’s and a 20 for the Sat am in the less protected part of Gordons slowing to 10 in the pm. If it blows like this tonight it could build up some nice big ones by the morning. May be worth checking Big Wave Dave for the evening forecast update and in the am. I’am a bit of a wind sissy but then we are not being paid to work out there, we do it for fun.

I am sleeping in...it depends how quickly this system blows in..... Sunday should be much better....

Thanks, Wolf. Will try the 4 FT leader on Sunday as it looks like tomorrow will be a sleep-in day for me.

Awesome pictures profisher!

You should sell the rights to the 1st one to Foghorn great advertising!

I am sleeping in...it depends how quickly this system blows in..... Sunday should be much better....

Just checked the 10:00 pm wind forecast update and it is actually showing a little worse for Sat. Currently at 11pm Fri its 26 Race and 17 Sheringham and less 10’s and more 15’s forecasted for Sat. pm.
Big Wave is not always correct and it could change overnight. Baring some big change with the morning update I think I will leave it to the guides and the guys who shelled out the big bucks for the big Gradys and Orcas. With this wind now there will be a lot of weed checks to clean off the Salad for the next day or two and it won’t be easy to see in the slop and possible fog. At least the super moon extreme tides and currents are starting to calm down because the fishing is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very negative post which is un-characteristic Englishman. Speak only for yourself - I am a fishing mortal and i have had and will have again days like that.
Not being particularly negative. Just very realistic. The contrast between Profisher's post and the other two posts I referenced FOR the SAME day were VERY stark. So it is not just a matter of "here they come" and away we all go, just like that. It is far more complicated than that. Wolf then jumps in with comments about how it is experience and knowledge. Exactly! That is exactly what I am trying to say! What I call (in some attempt at humour) "fishing gods" epitomises the vast gap between those knowledgeable and experienced and people like myself.

No doubt there are others who can and do have days like Profisher - although if that is so they certainly did not post on the day Profisher did. If you are one GDW, congrats. I just know I shall never be manage a day like that (in Sooke I am talking about - I am not referring to anywhere else). I only began ocean fishing in 2010 and so that is just the way it is.....there is no magic, and I do not have enough years left on the planet.....LOL:)

Englishman, frustration is a part of the game...kinda like golf! This is really only my second year at this game, and figure I am doing OK, but I love to see Wolf or Profisher pumping up the community by showing what they have massaged from the ocean. They are the pros and spend more time than anyone else out there and any bit of knowledge they spill only helps my game...they don't nneed to, in fact they would have less boats to move around out there if they were not so forthcoming (sorry Wolf I crossed in front of you like a jackass today...but you still gave me room).

Anytime you big boys want to post pictures of your haul, do it...I will just think of it as fish **** and leave it at that. Besides it keeps me thinking of that tyee that will one day be mine.

Profisher, strange when you send a day on sherringham, then see the guy hauling out at the ramp with 4 fish over the slot...yet he wasn't around you all day. Lots of guys have a hard time playing by the rules...yet they never get pinched. For all the days I am doing the right thing...I would love to see some DFO around just to keep everyone honest!

AWESOME Terry glad your coming back please call me and ill come down for a bevie again be nice to see you again...

Wolf

Yah looking forward to fishing the old grounds again, been about 4 years since I have fished Sooke, did the Ukee thing the last couple years. You know my boat and I will keep my eye out for you and get you one the radio when I am out, maybe drop by your slip one afternoon for a visit, looking forward to seeing you. Later,, and keep at them love the pics you guys are putting up,, driving me nuts lol..

Not being particularly negative. Just very realistic. The contrast between Profisher's post and the other two posts I referenced FOR the SAME day were VERY stark. So it is not just a matter of "here they come" and away we all go, just like that. It is far more complicated than that. Wolf then jumps in with comments about how it is experience and knowledge. Exactly! That is exactly what I am trying to say! What I call (in some attempt at humour) "fishing gods" epitomises the vast gap between those knowledgeable and experienced and people like myself.

No doubt there are others who can and do have days like Profisher - although if that is so they certainly did not post on the day Profisher did. If you are one GDW, congrats. I just know I shall never be manage a day like that (in Sooke I am talking about - I am not referring to anywhere else). I only began ocean fishing in 2010 and so that is just the way it is.....there is no magic, and I do not have enough years left on the planet.....LOL:)
I removed my earlier posts as its being taken way out of context lets move on....Its about reports on here anyway....:) Keep it to myself next time.

Back