Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Sherringham skunking

Fabulous hot flat calm day with no fog so decided to head for Sheringham again. Maybe 6 boats there when we arrived at 7:30am. Fished for over four hours without a touch and saw only one fish boated. First time that has happened to us at Sheringham……..not that we fish there often.}

A buddy took me out with hime to Sheringham yesterday.
We fished from 6:30 to 1 pm. Had widely spread hits throughout the morning (5 total) until 11:00. 3 very long releases. One we played for about 5 minutes and seemed to be really big, but we never saw it--it took several heavy runs. Another we had to the surface was about 10 lbs. Most of the hits were in 80-100 ft of water, with 71 on the rigger. Anchovies with bloody nose and a blue/ green scaled pattern got the action.

As Englishman noted, saw very little action for the other boats except a
nice 20ish lb fish landed around noon.

So we went 0 for 5--ouch--it hurt a little...but it was a beautiful flat calm sunny day. We appreciated seeing other posts similar to this in the last week, and consoled ourselves with the thought that odds are that our "conversion ratio" will be much better next time. Right...?

Good luck!

Think I may head out tomorrow afternoon/evening just around possesion/secretary area.
anyone fishing there today get a report in?
cheers

Well, sounds like I was the exception yesterday. Great day on the water! Got 5 fish, bites spread out one an hour from 7-12. 12-22 lbs all on anchovies 65 to 77 ft. Purple (not haze) teaser head was the winner all day...

Well today was Hmmm how do I put it. Strange.

We ended up getting a 10,12,20 and 4 coho today Aswell as a freight train we lost as it charged the boat after a good run and my old man couldent keep up. Action first light at Bedfords-Church and again around 10-11. Every hit was at 84ft anchovy.

-KK

That sounds like a good strange to me. I would like to be the oddball with a cooler of salmon. Lol

Better bite for springs today at both Muir and the light. I think it has to do with the fact that the whales have been absent for about 3 days now (unless they have been through when I was off the water) and the fish are starting to move around again. It appears to me that the fish have been really put off for longer periods this year when the whales pass through. Might just be me but it seems that way.

Fished Possession/Secretary from about 2:30 to 5:30. Had a few hits, I'm guessing coho, but they didn't stick. Saw some big whale blows out further, I'd guess humpbacks.

Heard a report of an intense bite off the Island on the flood...would have been around 1pm. Nothing large but multiple doubles. (springs)

The reef off Donaldson was lights out for us this aft. Limits of springs in an hour. Wild ho's only unfortunately. 3 double headers, pretty intense hour, super fun.

Thinking of doing a trip to sunnyside for the week next Tuesday. Being from the mainland I was wondering if there was any gear and location advice anyone would like to share? Never been out that way. Thanks in advance for any help!

Thinking of doing a trip to sunnyside for the week next Tuesday. Being from the mainland I was wondering if there was any gear and location advice anyone would like to share? Never been out that way. Thanks in advance for any help!

Anchovy on long leaders 6'+

If you don't know the area you can just fish from secretary island to beecher bay, there's fish along that whole stretch, in shallow and out in the deep. 40-120' on the rigger normally.

It was a windy, foggy day out there. We did manage a limit of under 67 springs. Kinda strange for a change. Saw acouple nicer ones boated. There's always tommorow!

Heard a report of an intense bite off the Island on the flood...would have been around 1pm. Nothing large but multiple doubles. (springs)

Excellent. That was just about the time I headed in for my nap.
Had a ****** day yesterday. Lots of Coho. All but one were wild.
Today was better- two springs.

What the heck were those divers doing on the tack off Donaldson yesterday? I was quite a way off and still managed to wrap my downrigger ball around a rope of theirs. What a terrific spot to plug up with unmarked diving floats. :(
I gotta say-I been away from Sooke for awhile. That house on the cliff and the rock blasting makes that whole Point look like hell now.

Saltydog, I think the divers were installing the end of the sewage drain for that development off Possession, looks to be in about the right area. Although today they seemed anchored closer to Secretary. How can they work in that kind of current? Curious.

Trolled anchovies Otter to Sheringham, sifting through coho and a couple sockeye. Started running out of bait so I switched one rod to white glow hoochie with a jughead. I've yet to catch anything with the jughead but I haven't exactly given it a fair shot. But today the jughead kept pace with the anchovies bringing in coho, and it seemed more sockeye came in on the jughead (n=...4-ish). We were getting a lot of soft bites, easy to miss, that were ruining the anchovy so the hoochie had the advantage of continued effectiveness after a strike. The jughead also brought in the only sizeable chinook today. Finally, meat.

Great day out there. Crazy tides indeed. Ended up with 2 coho and a spring. Wish I had some crab on the way in as well, but the Crab bandit hit my traps, at least they could have done was rebaited them. Twice this year this has happened, starting to **** me off.lol If that dive tender was prepping for sewage line, be a bit strange, thought they hadnt fully approved that yet.

I was robbed also!!! I had 2 traps down and 1 was total empty even all the bait (what I had in there you need to open the side off the trap to get it in). my second trap less then 50-75 yards away was full 12-15 easy!! (only keeper size was female so I still ended up with nothing in for supper) the bait looked like I just put it in with all them eating on it.

Crabbing has sucked in the harbour for me all of June, nothing but females. To really confirm you have been lifted and cleaned out...zap strap all the sides on the plastic traps and the top door of the commercial ones. Then they have to cut the strap to get at the crabs. I use the heavy hali anchor straps, then just cut the one on the side I need to open.

Back