Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Did a trip out of Cheana,yesterday. Had the gear down off Beachy about 6:30 a.m. Had one on within 15-20 mins.
A bunch of screamin' runs and 10 mins later had it to the boat. Nice sized fish,guessing 14-15 lbs.,so figured it was a spring. Out came the net, but at the last second I realized it was a monster coho! No fin clip so back she went. Then
nothing for 2hrs. Got bored,so we headed out for a few pinks for the smoker. Picked up a couple,then got into
the shakers bad,so back in tight for springs. Wandered east all the way down to Church Rock with only getting one
more pink,and decided to troll homeward. Right off the little Bedfords my rod gets hammered. Grab it,reel like a *******
, give er a good hookset,and snap,the rod busts down low,right in the middle of the cork handle. Now the @hit show
begins,with me holding the broken top,and my buddy operating the reel,and what is now obviously a large spring peeling line out like crazy! Managed to get to the boat,but it was still really fresh,and started thrashing at the surface
with pounding head shakes. Gave the top piece of the rod to my buddy,grabbed the net,and stretched out the back
as far as I could without going for a swim.Got him just over the lip of the net and that's when hook came out.Tryed
to flip the rest of him into the bag,but he slithered out and was gone.Too bad,it would have made a good fishing tale
down the road. Still had a great day on the water. It was flat calm ,and although I could see a fog bank west
of us,we were in the sun all day long,so I won't complain!

Fished from 6-noon today. Fished the Trap hard for a few hrs and nothing. Saw one small fish caught and that was it. Lots of bait and a lot of sea loins in the bay at the Trap this morning so moved out to deeper water off the tip of the island and played a dozen or so fish all nice size coho, some in the teens all wild though. Ended the day with one small coho for dinner and that was it. Talked to a buddy that stayed at the Trap and he had one spring about 12# only hit he had all day. I think that with that rain we had that the fish may have moved on. Hopefully some new fish move in. Had a friend phone me tonight that was hiking east Sooke park and said she was watching the whales out there. Anyway back at it tomorrow, will be a short shift though need to be off the water by 11.

Got out for a few hours tonight infront of the harbour and possession area...slow going, had a hit off possession, then looped from the harbour to the 200 shelf. Nice one on at 100' on hootchie...going a good clip and had the oomph of a nice coho. Passed off to my son and he fought it well until it hit surface and I think he didn't reel the flasher slack enough...popped off :( Continued along to Secretary and down at sundown and nothing to be had. Incredible night out there once the chop mellowed. Did talk to one boat from Otter and he had 3 springs to mid 20's...another guy, been out supposedly since 5am ALL day and got squat! Ouch.

No fish, but great sunset
set 006_2048x1536.jpg

fished 630 till 300 nice 26lb white off the bluffs in 100 ft of water , green flash and teaser, bunch of coho all wild, great day all in all

GOOD to hear most people are finding SOOKE such a great place to enjoy as I think its one of the top places ever to fish calm water and great fishing, it has been looked over for so many years as people are looking for nothing but "limits" and yes i can be done and along with many other places but you dont have 10 ft swells LOL . all in all Sooke is a great place to fish one look back at all the stories posted and pictures tells it all and with over 200,000 views to boot that amazing!!!!.
unfortunately i must say all things good have to end and im thinking she winding down but i personally think we will have another shot of biggies as ii personally havent heard of a + 30 lb white yet so fingers crossed......

Good luck Wolf

Fished out west yesterday morning. Lost 1 spring high teens at the net and released a few coho. Saw a couple of springs caught.
Ran back passing Otter around 10 am and came on massive bait ball with birds going crazy. Dropped the gear and hooked a bunch of pinks and coho. Spent about 1/2 hour there then moved on to drop Hali gear for a short soak.
Off the water by 12:30 with 1 coho and a few pinks.
Nice day on the water.
Cops or fisheries were just inside whiffed spit when we came in.

Tips

5:30-930 session today. Fishing Possession first thing, then eventually moved off towards the bluffs. Didn't see a fish caught for 3 hours, ouch. Into deeper water, we hooked into about 10 coho in 45 minutes....kept a couple nice size hatchery. Caught in 200' of water off the bluffs, at 50-100', on anchovies and hootchies.

Left Sooke Harbour dock at 5 this morning in the dark and ran up to Otter and fished for 3 hrs and very slow never saw a fish caught so moved out and fished for coho and it was none stop action. Couldn't keep the fish off. Had to release some very nice wilds and was off the water at 10:30 with a 3 person limit of nice size coho and pinks. Defiantly a big different from yesterday fishing the Trap. Didn't see any springs caught today and none at the dock either. Anyway back at it tomorrow.

Fished up west all day yesterday and hit 8 spring and landed 5. High teens were the largest, all 85 to 100 feet in 110-115 feet of water. All reds and all females.

Did Beechy to Obrien and back with my buddy and his 4 year old boy. Didn't see much going on but managed to sniff out some ho's and let the boy play his first salmon. They are getting nice in size for sure! That darn wild fish rule. Managed 4 safe releases without the net but left one floater :>( Got some good practice on that pink run and I'm liking the gaff skills I've earned.

Went out front again COHO and pinks action was unreal took a bit to find em but got some beauty hatcheries then went into secretary and got two teeners to top the day.... still some out there,,,,

Fished today at Trap. landed a mid 20's spring(marbled), few coho and a few pinks. Overall a nice day on the water.. but didnt see any other sizable Chinook landed. Out again tomorrow... hopefully if the Shack isnt producing out to find some coho.

Tried trolling out at 400 ft off trap and didnt find hardly any coho or pinks... any tips anyones will to share? further out perhaps?

anyhow, out again tomorrow for another go.

Last edited by a moderator:
now this morning was the weather I thought we were supposed to get yesterday, beauty! Started at the trap until the hords showed up and got sick of pickin salad off the lines. Got into pinks 300 from trap at 90. Secretary and pp soon after, inclose.. out to 500 nada. Back to the head and alridge few wild coho sent back.

Fished otter point from about 11 am to 4. Landed a high teens spring right off the bat when we showed up and got about 6 coho. Only one keeper though and the rest were released. I have fished everyday since friday and today was the best we have done. I had a coho hammer the anchovy right off the surface when I was reaching out to grab the downrigger clip. Was a pretty good day. Ran bait all day today.

PICS of last 2 days of fishing there are still fish to be had finding the coho and pinks off the tip of secretary just make sure you do a North to South tact if you can Across the current your plotter should look like a continuous WWWWW till you find them them keep circling them. I bet in the last 2 days we have landed 50 coho and pinks not including the long and short releases look for them jumping and especially Finning on top of the water then go after them, then wait for the turn of current and go look for the big boys (about 10 today)

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• 2013aug31t.jpg
    2013aug31t.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 656
  • 2013sept1.jpg
    2013sept1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 666
Beautiful day on the water. We fished from the head to possession, and down around church. At depths fron 45 to 100 feet. Got nothing! But it was a great day on the water.

Took the kids out with Totally Tyee and started at hourbour mouth and headed south. lots of shakers so we headed back in tight. Put the spoons and hootchies down and left the chovies at home. Ended up with two whiteys 17lb and 30lbs and a hatch coho in short order. Nice to put the plastics to use.

Out for a mid-day fish with my family, out to the tidelines around 11, several early bites but only managed 1 wild coho to the boat and released to fight another day. Then back to secretary, where a big one hit a green spoon at 70 feet, but after 2 hard runs and only 90 or so seconds, it spit the hook. Then got into some shakers, and then silent, so off the water by 3:30. Beauty day, and in talking to a couple others at the launch, pretty quiet for others as well. Except yo mama apparently!

Also had a very quiet morning. After three hours in close without any sign of springs, we headed out to the deep water beyond Secretary. I still took us some time to find any coho but once we dropped the gear to 120' we got in to them and a purple haze hootchy was the ticket. Only found one hatchery fish. Some of those wild fish were pretty nice - sure seems like the hatchery fish tend to be smaller.

Back