Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

fished trap again today... didnt see anyone hook into any springs... but man right on the slack i couldnt keep the pinks off. get one rod down, start to set down the other... first rod has a fish. was like that for an hour and then nothing for the rest of the day. trolled out to 500 feet of water... couldnt find fish... trolled the gear from the surface down to 95... should have dropped them deeper.

- sure seems like the hatchery fish tend to be smaller.

Fin clip = trauma = smaller
Same thing happens after a circumcision. Funny my mom never told me anything about coming from a hatchery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick fish this Morning, from 11-1 out front, 4 fish in total, 23, 14, and released one about 12 and one just Legal, the ones we kept were both reds and females. Two bigger fish were on Spoons and Gold Flashers, close to the bottom in 80-90 Ft, others were Bait. Guess we hit it just right. Good Day Driller

Quick fish this Morning, from 11-1 out front, 4 fish in total, 23, 14, and released one about 12 and one just Legal, the ones we kept were both reds and females. Two bigger fish were on Spoons and Gold Flashers, close to the bottom in 80-90 Ft, others were Bait. Guess we hit it just right. Good Day Driller

nice.. Where did you go to fish?

Discus

I does seem like some fish are early. For me I thought there were more pinks in July than August...I went through way more bait in July. Coho are in a couple weeks early too...or maybe there are so many this year that they will take 2 weeks longer to get all of them past us...lets hope.

* It

..............:p

Fished sooke harbour mouth noon untill 4 then trolled back to cheanuh hit lots of big coho and a chum on the fly rod. No springs. I will keep trying after hearing drillers report!

-KK

Fished out west from Sheringham to Otter, released two Springs about 12Lbs, one Chum about 14Lbs, lots of BIG Coho, chum did not want to quit, Coho are getting large enough to causes issues if you leave your other Gear down :) . Bait got the Springs at 77Ft. Good Day Driller.

HI guys, I have been watching your reports for the last couple of days and thanks for those, I am headed around the island from Vancouver tomorrow and plan to stay in sooke for a fews days on my way up the coast for some albie fishing.. could you guys tell me what the local regs are for the salmon and hali are? I assume hatchery only on the coho, but is there a slot size in place for the springs?

best bet for and anchor down and hali fish?

Thanks in advance

You can find all regulation related to Sooke and Port Renfrew (Are 20) over here!
Good Luck and have a wonderful fishing in Sooke ...
HI guys, I have been watching your reports for the last couple of days and thanks for those, I am headed around the island from Vancouver tomorrow and plan to stay in sooke for a fews days on my way up the coast for some albie fishing.. could you guys tell me what the local regs are for the salmon and hali are? I assume hatchery only on the coho, but is there a slot size in place for the springs?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

no slot springs, just min size, 2 max; coho - 2 hatchery only, no wilds; chum 4; pink 4; no sockeye (total daily possession 4, trip 8). Halibut is 1 daily/2 poss, 1 over and 1 under (83cm and 126cm).

Best for anchor probably Race Rocks area or constance banks but your tide windows likely not great so careful where you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last 2 days have been good not hot as before but managed to get a few yesterday saw a 26 lber(white) hit the deck along with a smaller spring.
Today got the biggy 36.4 on the scale and a ol guy checked off a bucket list fish of a lifetime. and YES another white so there are some around just have to be patient and pound it hard to get em here is a pic.

As for halibut head to west look around you will see guys you may have to go as far as jordan river but noticed some are coming in from there

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• DSCN3494.jpg
    DSCN3494.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 518
LOL Wolfie... I love the guys expression that is holding the humpy :D

i personally think we will have another shot of biggies as i personally havent heard of a + 30 lb white yet so fingers crossed......

Today got the biggy 36.4 on the scale and a ol guy checked off a bucket list fish of a lifetime. and YES another white so there are some around just have to be patient and pound it hard to get em here is a pic.

That reminds me of when Babe Ruth pointed to left field and... THWACK

Nice Fish, nice call.

Little known fact about triple siblings, if one ain't happy...neither are the other 2. lol

LOL LIPPY!!!!!!!! the all had a good time it was him who insisted on letting the others reel them in great guy (hes been many a time)the guy who caught the big one of course has never been salmon fishing...... reeled it in like a champ...... all the time his buddies were yelling TIP UP TIP UP LOL good times

Realizing this is not the Vancouver section but I thought maybe one of our local guru's has a good lead for me. I have some very good friends that want to take a charter out of Down town Vancouver, or somewhere reasonably close. I was hoping someone could recommend a guide. Pacific Angler http://www.pacificangler.ca/vancouve...ing-trips.html had been suggested but I don't know anything about them. Any advice?

Back