Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Fished possession this am from 9-12, 2 strikes, 1 spring 15#'s, no releases. 63 ft. glass with some light rain. Saw a 32 weighed on the docks.

Went out for a Solo fish at 2:00, decided to go out front and was rewarded with the biggest fish of the year, 37Lbs. White Male , 60 Ft. off the Rigger in 70ft of water. Soft hit just a dip of the Rod and it was off. Had a Sealion chasing it and had to chase with the Kicker on high( why do I get all the biggest fish when I am by myself).It hit a Purple Chrome head and a Betsey Flasher. Get out there they wont be here long....... It had a couple Yellow Dots which I have seen before at this time of the Year. Good Day Driller

Attachments

• 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 477
  • 210.jpg
    210.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 477
  • 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 476
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, amazin' fish! Congrats. Boating that all by yourself is quite an achievement in itself. You must have had a short leader or that fish would not come to net one handed! Fish was maybe too big for the sea lion!! LOL.:D

Beauty white spring,drilleryells. Wish my boat was running good right now. I could use one of those for the smoker.
SO FRICKIN,GOOD!!

Alright I am new to salt water fishing and I have rented a boat out of pedder bay three times now. Gotten a couple salmon (1 pink, 2 springs and 1 coho) cabazons, greenlings, rock fish and sole. Still looking for a legal size ling cod, wouldn't mind halibut but I understand that it takes a little more equipment and knowledge to do that.

I have generally been fishing around church rock any where from 100 ft to 300 ft of water, with the downrigger anywhere from 25ft to 120ft, with little to no success with the salmon. I have tried hoochies, anchovies and spoons. Only the anchovies have work for the few salmon I have caught. Is there any tips that anyone can give me for catching a few more salmon. I have tried lots of different flashers, and different teaser heads. Only thing I haven't really paid any attention to is the leader length, it's usually around 48 inches.

Matt

CowPasta:-

take a look at DrillerYells recent hog.....and what he caught it on.

Gold Betsy Flasher
Chrome/Purple teaser head

60ft deep in 70ft of water

I don't know what his leader length was.......but standard for teaser heads/bait behind a flasher is 6 or 7ft.

Don't know what his leader pound test was..........but a lot of guys go 30lb test on a teaser bait-head.

Beauty fish, DrillerYells!!!........

Awesome fish Driller, what an experience and catch!

Cowpasta, what SeaFever said. My saltwater fishing training began the same way yours has, renting out of Pedder Bay. A Pink summer, we had good luck with those, but learning the ropes with Spring is another ball game, and you've already done well with 2 Spring I'd say. Keep at it, try all those different lures, but anchovies seem to be the preference for Spring (although I've caught a few nice ones on big red and green spoons, with 4' leaders) and speed plays a role too - try different speeds. The coho now are fun too, and when you can find a school, you'll get lots of training as you search for the hatcheries. Good luck!

CowPasta:- I noticed you said you run 48 inch leader...is that for every type of lure you run?

generally speaking for starters:-

Hoochies:- 37 or 38 inches from back of flasher to nose of hoochy including hardware. To get more action on the hoochy if you need it:- speed up..or...shorten the dropback ( distance from release clip to flasher). I would basically go about 20ft (dropback from release clip) for starters. I use this method if fishing for Coho as well as Chinooks...and I get more Coho this way than shortening up leaders as some people do.
There occasions where shorter hoochy leaders/different speed will work......like for Sockeye and Chum at times. Go at least 40lb test for hoochies (better action) and go 50lb or 60lb if you like.
Don't ever go less than 30lb test.......Fishfight plus flasher resitance will break the leader at those lengths.

Spoons......for starters.........5 feet behind flasher is good.30lb test is good. Big spoons you can go same length as bait. Coho-killer spoons you can go 36 inches to 60 inches.
Some guys go real short on spoon leader lengths (like down to 28 inches....or 32 inches etc.etc. in some situations)....personally I find the 5ft leader works for me a lot.

Bait:- at least 6ft leader behind flasher on up to 9ft at times......30lb test. generally........

Teaser heads:- Bloody Nose, Purple Haze, Green Scale, Green Glow, Purple/Chrome, White Glow, Clear Chartreuse......to name a few........there are others
Flashers:- Gold Betsy, Super Gold Betsy , Purple Onion, Glow Purple, Purple Haze, Green Glow, Army truck, Straight Chrome, Boogieman....to name few......there are others

Winter Chinooks can be slightly different ballgame than summer stock. Winters tend to hang near bottom, summer runs tend to be in top third of water column. (in early morning you could be fishing 20ft deep....as sun comes up you could be going 60 to 120ft or deeper in places).

Active summer stock will chase bait around.....so it's more important to know the local "current and tide" ballgame than it is just going out and dropping a line any old place (although that sometimes works too...there is always the "wild card" factor).

Tides, currents,ebbs, floods, islands , structure....all produce specific locations where fish will hold or hustle bait......usually these places are the same year after year.

So the more you know about these places off Sooke, Victoria or wherever around there.....the better off you will be........

Very well said Seafever. We follow those same guidelines just south of the imaginary line (border).

I like extra long leader when running bait, but up to 9' ??? Might need a net with a 10' handle.........lol

We fish those same fish that came by Sooke, and have the best results using a 32" leader for those big Frasier hogs.(hootchies) My buddy landed 9 kings (11-32#) in about 3 1/2 hours on 1 rod with that short leader last Saturday. Most, if not all, were Frasier fish. Hot hootch was 140R

Went out from 6:30 to 12:30 worked possession for a while only 2 small springs released. Went out for coho later and only got wild ones, slower than last week. Picked up 2 descent size pinks. SE wind picked up and got a little lumpy.

Fished yesterday with the old man, Springs were co-operating alot more then the past few days getting into 5 and landing 2 a 19 red female and letting go a 12 pounder aswell. We lost 3 more one broke off and two long lines.

Here is the red we got at 100ft on a purple haze squirt and purple haze flasher.

Today we got out again a little later then yesterday as I was in buying my new electric downrigger. Ive had numerous people tell me to switch back over to wire rigger line. So Today was the first time in over 7 years ive run a rigger with wire. The results were good. Arrived in the trap and dropped the lines. First passover the reef. Double header instantly. Let a nice 12 pound spring go and let a nice wild coho about 9 pounds go aswell. Got the lines set and turned back for another tack and well what do you know another double. This time it was a small 6 pound spring and another 12 pound feeder spring. Both let go to swim again. Things got slow and I started to wonder if the wire was scaring all the fish.

Trolled home past the head and into the bay. Current just ripping and the kicker throttle matted out doing 6.5 knots avoinding kelp piles in the rip tide from Hell. My Dad yells "You Popped, you popped". First thing going thru my head is sh*& I hooked a bull kelp. I walk back grab the rod and hold on because the run this bull kelp took blew my mind. Over half the spool emptied on my MR3 in one go. Holy crap. This aint no kelp I got a spring.

After my longest battle of the year(25+ mins) We boated this 27 pound beauty. 106ft on the rigger spatter back hootchie.

Here are a few more taken over the past few days

Cheers, KK

Beauty Kk--it's been the week from hell at work--I'm glad to see you out catching.
T2

Nice work Karma-Kazai!!

Why are a "number of people" telling you to switch back to wire?

Also....did you switch both sides to wire or just one side?

Just one side for now. Some guys think the wire calls the fish in :p LOL

Good for you KK! If Wolf and a number of other guides continue to use wire that is good enough for me!
And if you have wire one side and braid the other you should be able to compare and maybe find wire will win; especially in winter when fishing deeper, in my experience.

Fished yesterday with the old man, Springs were co-operating alot more then the past few days getting into 5 and landing 2 a 19 red female and letting go a 12 pounder aswell. We lost 3 more one broke off and two long lines.

Here is the red we got at 100ft on a purple haze squirt and purple haze flasher.

Today we got out again a little later then yesterday as I was in buying my new electric downrigger. Ive had numerous people tell me to switch back over to wire rigger line. So Today was the first time in over 7 years ive run a rigger with wire. The results were good. Arrived in the trap and dropped the lines. First passover the reef. Double header instantly. Let a nice 12 pound spring go and let a nice wild coho about 9 pounds go aswell. Got the lines set and turned back for another tack and well what do you know another double. This time it was a small 6 pound spring and another 12 pound feeder spring. Both let go to swim again. Things got slow and I started to wonder if the wire was scaring all the fish.

Trolled home past the head and into the bay. Current just ripping and the kicker throttle matted out doing 6.5 knots avoinding kelp piles in the rip tide from Hell. My Dad yells "You Popped, you popped". First thing going thru my head is sh*& I hooked a bull kelp. I walk back grab the rod and hold on because the run this bull kelp took blew my mind. Over half the spool emptied on my MR3 in one go. Holy crap. This aint no kelp I got a spring.

After my longest battle of the year(25+ mins) We boated this 27 pound beauty. 106ft on the rigger spatter back hootchie.

Here are a few more taken over the past few days

Cheers, KK

Nice fish KK
I am fishing out of Sooke for the fist time next week. The trap is one location I have no idea how to find. Would you mind sharing some info on how to get there.
Thanks Crow

Back