Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Very wet, and slow at Otter tonight for mature springs. Lots of small stuff; all varieties...
Same for me in the yak. I guess there was a bite mid afternoon but i couldn't get off work that early.
T2

Aug 27 fished possession in the am and got a 21 lb'er to the boat, lost another that felt smaller. Had them both on green flasher and UV teaser. Had trouble finding coho, let alone hatchery...at this rate I won't hook into one of those rare tagged coho. Pinks were around, of course.

Had a couple dall's porpoise or white sided dolphins cruise under the boat while we were trolling of Secretary yesterday afternoon, and immediately had a double header of pinks. I didn't get a good look at them, any one know which species was hanging around out there?

Today fished possession in the morning and had no hits, but caught a teener off secretary later on.

Also saw a commercial boat "Viking Enterprise" heading east yesterday with about 4kms of seabirds in its wake, some of the gulls I've only ever seen out at Swiftsure. Not sure what they were discarding but it kept the birds off my anchovies.

LOTS of little guys and dont know with the shot of rain and the slacker tides but fish are tight lipped and short biting next couple of days will tell ,still a few around but will have to admit things are slowing down a bit but must say it was one HELL of a run fishing has been the best ever in sooke in YEARS by far and happy everyone was getting salmon..

Wolf

After Saturday (8hrs) and Monday night (2 1/2hrs) with no Springs to speak of, we are switching to looking for hali's. We want to take my 83 yr old salty dog father-in-law halibut fishing this weekend in Sooke. Any suggestions to giving him a great hali experience? Thanks, Xena

Pulled the boat up onto the ramp today for its monthly cleanup and service. The boat in front of me in the ramp line had 4 springs around 20 pounds from up west. I think there are still plenty around but timing right now is critical with the slower currents we have right now.

Gonna hit west tomorrow regardless, hope those springs are still around and lock jaw hasn't set in!

image.jpg My son and I have been out this week in Andy's Lucky Rentals boat and have been out west and been hooking some decent fish. Limited out On springs on Weds, all 15-20 lbs. 8 springs over the last 3 days with a nice 25 pounder tonight. All fish being caught after 4pm, will be out for the next 3 days and hope are luck continues. Will try to upload pics.

Fished tonight from 4-7:30. Did not see a fish caught of possession.
Went off secretary for a bit to the first tide line and found a school coho. Was like oct come early with coho jumping. We hooked 6, landed 4, kept 1. Decent size and hammering the gear.
Then back to shore line for last hour and notta.

Good fun

Fished tonight from 4-7:30. Did not see a fish caught of possession.
Went off secretary for a bit to the first tide line and found a school coho. Was like oct come early with coho jumping. We hooked 6, landed 4, kept 1. Decent size and hammering the gear.
Then back to shore line for last hour and notta.

Good fun

Were they down deep?

We saw lots of fish jumping at the Trap Shack Monday night, everywhere one looked, a fish was jumping. I thought they were pinks as we only picked up a couple, no coho. Beauty night though. Xena

Is it possible that Sooke has become a mere mortal with regards to springs? After this summer it's going to take some adjustment not to expect limits of large fish every time I go out. Wow, what a summer!! Certainly one for the memory books.

A nice little surprise session, a few hours at Otter this afternoon. Bit of a bite on around 6pm, saw a few springs caught, towards 3rd rock area. We got one 10-12 pounder or so...wife's getting stoked on catching springs, I better up my game. :) 45ft, silver betsy, glow green teaser. We also caught a bunch of wild coho out in 200', with gear down at 100-120', as well as one small feeder spring deep.

Two mid teens off Muir for me yesterday. Lots of coho, all wild. I released 2 smaller springs also. Was a nice day, thankfully not shaking pinks off every 2 mins. Wonder if today is going to be a gong show at otter.

Went out today from 5:30 to 11:00 am. Started at possession till about 9:30, saw 2 fish caught and that was it. Went out a little further and went for coho. Picked up two nice hatchery. All at 90 feet. Not a single pink anywhere all the way out to 500 feet of water. Looks like the rain got them moving. Went around whiffin spit on the way in and DFO had a check point. They checked everything from fish to hooks etc. It was good to see them doing some checking and stopping alot of boats. For the record the other day out we also got our crab trap robbed, broke the latch and left it wide open. Not too impressed

WOW i was out doing a kid trip and was straight out in 300 to 400 ft off the mouth had a blast with the lids got a limit of pinks in no time.... and as luck would have it a 14 and a 15 lb spring with pink gear with 28 inch leaders!!! go figure !!!!!!!had to let go a few BEAUTIFUL coho close to 12 lbs or so (wild).
Saw DFO at dock they said there hellos and off they went....

STILL AWESOME fishing to be had but will admit shes slowing down a bit need to change tactics a bit and if you find em stay on them, Yesterday found them and got 4 nice springs up to 20 lbs out of 8 .Finding they are short biting and snapping at the gear . green betsy was the hot flasher

Good luck Wolf

1-5 pm fish for my buddy and I. Did a tack or 2 in the bay, then out to the Head for another couple of tacks and finally headed out into 400-500 ft of water and got 3 pinks and a spring on bait nd a kitchen sink spoon. We released a couple of beauty coho. What a great afternoon to be on the water.
T2

Afternoon yes morning no. BWD seemed a bit off def not 5 and 0s. My boat sucks in that chop. Finally got a day off and got out there. Hard times out there for us at PP. One pink one rockfish. Couple short bites that was it. Try again tomorrow!

Enviro can was a little more accurate later on than BWD. That said beauty mornin'. Started slow then 10 wild Ho's one absolute babe that broke my heart to let go. Was mid teens. Just a stunning fish, peeled line and all. Like the old school coho. Found a nice 20#white at sherringham about noon 70' blue head blue pilchard flasher. Good day with brother and couple buddy's. asta la vista for me this season. Go get them while you can! Maybe silver and white next month and then...... Rain!!!!!

Back