Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Yep, great spring fishing continues. Limit of springs for 3 guests by 10:30 this morning and then a limit for 2 in an hour and a half this afternoon and one for me to bring home as well. Multiple doubles and lost a few as well. Mostly males today. A bit of a lump to get up west but worth it when you have a place almost to yourself. Just ,,,,us, foggy and D&D...all of us hooking up, being courteous, following the tack, staying out of each others way....too easy and stress free!!!!

Fished Beechey head in close around 5:30 last night, nothing for about 45 min, headed out to 450ft of water, 7 pinks and 1 15lb spring in an hour and a half or so. Spring was caught on a small pink hootchie, strange. Awesome evening out in sooke flat calm no boats around.

YES ill continue to say SOOKE has been consistent ALL summer and im sure more to come for at least a few more weeks, SEEMS fish are everywhere, I wasnt west and limited out in no time and 1 for me to take home as well, A nice 20 lb white,as they didnt want it.... YEAH for me 45 ft on green seemed hot for me today.Sept can and has been in the past a great month for fishing after labor day people seem to disappear and fishing CAN be HOT with less boats so keep that in mind, Ive personally gotten some of my bigger fish for clients then.
and take a kid fishing

Good luck wolf

YES ill continue to say SOOKE has been consistent ALL summer and im sure more to come for at least a few more weeks, SEEMS fish are everywhere, I wasnt west and limited out in no time and 1 for me to take home as well, A nice 20 lb white,as they didnt want it.... YEAH for me 45 ft on green seemed hot for me today.Sept can and has been in the past a great month for fishing after labor day people seem to disappear and fishing CAN be HOT with less boats so keep that in mind, Ive personally gotten some of my bigger fish for clients then.
and take a kid fishing

Good luck wolf

Possession 5:30-8:30 this morning. We caught one 10lb spring and one pink. Saw a few springs caught here and there, and some pinks, but seemed slower than earlier this week. LOTS of boats, spread as far as you can see in either direction. Calm Saturday morning in Sooke, fishin' time!

On way home, passed my fisherman neighbour's garage sale, cleaned out his fishing closet, woo hoo, gear renewal and upgrade! :)

Today , my friend and I fished from 7 to noon at Otter Pt. I don't see many boat caught big springs. we caught a hatchery feeder spring about 7-8 lbs, a hatchery coho and two pink. We released 3 feeder spring about 4-5 lbs.

We enjoyed the day . it was so nice sunny and clam sea!

crab theives

Today , my friend and I fished from 7 to noon at Otter Pt. I don't see many boat caught big springs. we caught a hatchery feeder spring about 7-8 lbs, a hatchery coho and two pink. We released 3 feeder spring about 4-5 lbs.

We enjoyed the day . it was so nice sunny and clam sea!

yes fishing has been great,,hope everyone is getting their limitts,,,i have had 2 large commercial traps in sooke basin,wifnspit area,,i have had them there for about 6 weeks now,,it is a good spot,but starting about 4 weeks ago one of them has always been raided,,they just leave the door wide open,so no crab,,so about 3 weeks ago i put locks on my trap doors,,this worked well till today when i pulled up one trap,the a-holes had taken a hammer to one of the locks to get our crab,,this is really pissing me off,,i spend all this money in crab traps.etc.,just to have some a-holes to do this every week,,i wouldn't mind if they just rebaited the traps and put them back down again,,but oh no,,they are too stupid to do that,,next time i go out fishing i am going to take my traps out ,,too bad because i was getting crab,,but i bet you that the theives got more crab out of my traps then i did,,

I can never understand why anyone does that. No excuses. Just plane narcissistic.

Went out fishing last night from 4-8, fished posession, kept a 21 and 17 released a 12 and numerous large wild coho...still great fishing out there right now!!! Most action was at 55 on bait! Saw a few pods of whales roll by and a few hungry sea lions with fish in there mouths feeding on the surface

Cheers
Sudsy

Scratched out a 22 in tight from the Trap yesterday about 8 AM and spent the rest of the morning fending off the hordes of slimers . Those guys are everywhere! Absolutely gorgeous weather all day.
I think the south island is going to resemble a smoggy Toronto with all those pinks getting smoked.

Another beautiful flat calm day with no fog again, so a chance to head west to Sheringham once more at 7:00am. Really strange, (but good) as August this year has been anything but “Fogust” . We had far more foggy days , usually with wind!! In July. So I guess it is Fogjuly now…:D

Anyway Sheringham was not as good to us as usual. Way too many little undersize Chinooks plus some coho kept us busy. All the coho were wild. We have not caught a single hatch coho since early July. No pinks there though.

In the end we came home with two small 5lb Chinook and one pink which hit the hootch as we were pulling up to quit at Muir. Unlucky fish!

So warm and flat calm, so plenty of boats about even when we quit at 2:00pm.

Out to Otter tonight. Calm winds for a change. Quiet for a while. A few wild Coho and shakers returned for another day. Then both rods went off simultaneously. Only me. Watched for a sec. One went down and one up. Got the spring into the boat. Around 30 lbs. northern was wild so returned him to the sea. Phttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/27/y3a7y8yr.jpg[/IMG

Aaas. You gotta love Sooke!

y3a7y8yr.jpg

FTFY there 55.....

Last edited by a moderator:
2 over 45 cm...... 20-6 is shut down since the first.....

Started at Otter this morning. Lots of coho released, but we lucked into one hatchery (finally) and had a spring on briefly. Not much spring action for us, so we ran to possession and found a couple of back-to-back mid-teens off the top of Secretary, one was white and the other red. Quiet after that. Chrome army truck teaser head behind a gold betsy at 54 feet. Another calm day without fog, can't beat that.

Back