Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Sea Otter

The furry little fella has been at secratary for over three weeks now....great to see!

CONGRATS boys thats awesome always say hi to you when im up there!!! cool to see.

So Sooke is still good got some nice fish again today saw something ive never seen before off the bluffs ill try and figure out how to transfer pics from phone to comp later, but I saw a SEA OTTER out there couldn't believe my eyes!!!! even had a urchin on his belly breaking it open. knew we had some MANY years ago.
Good luck Wolf

Fished from 10-2, ran out west and got Bupkiss, a couple Shakers, trolled for about 2 hours. Ran back to the Harbour and quickly got three hits, one long release, one about 12 and Gaff released a 20-22 Lbs bright fish, all on spoons. 60 -70 off the Rigger in about 90 ft of Water. Good Day Driller

Still lots of springs around and not many pinks for us....quite a few small undersize springs too. 9 springs for us today up to 22 pounds.

Sea Otters will eat all the crab down to 90 feet. Not a good visitor or resident.
Nonsense! Sea otters are a vital part of the ecosystem. They eat a huge number of sea urchins which graze on kelp forests. And the latter are vital young fish rearing habitat. Healthy kelp forests = more fish.
This is a well known scientific fact. Here are just a few of the sources out there about the beneficial effects of sea otters on controlling urchin populations:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~dbeggles/education/synergy/seaotter/sskelp.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelp_forest
http://seaotters.com/2012/09/07/thanks-to-sea-otters-kelp-forests-absorb-vast-amounts-of-co2/
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.23...2&uid=70&uid=3737720&uid=4&sid=21102566303123
http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Purple-sea-urchins-spoiling-kelp-forest-4736867.php

I don't know, English--I've talked to a few commie crab fishermen who fish up west of Estevan Point--they are not happy campers.
T2

Sea otters are like anything else. Too few and you have problems (more urchins, less kelp etc.) and too many causes problems (no crabs).

I welcome the otter they are critical to our ecosystems but I do hope they don't get too out of control like the seals.

I don't know, English--I've talked to a few commie crab fishermen who fish up west of Estevan Point--they are not happy campers.
T2

yes they eat urchins but they also eat crab, which is why many areas on WCVI are barren of all crab. Good for kelp beds sure but very bad for crab.

Let nature do what it is going to do.
There were lots of salmon (lots of everything) before the commercial fleet and DFO brought their great understanding of the ocean to the rescue.

kelp beds are also necessary for herring to spawn. the sticky eggs are released to free float and mingle with the milt and where they attach to that kelp to be nourished by the movement of the fronds until they smolt. we screwed up all of this interrelated sets of systems so hopefully where some of this is coming back, we may see some of the oceans citizens come back as well. cherry point refinery at Anacortes is another fine example of destruction of the kelp beds and the world famous 'cherry point herring'.

Thanks for the advice on the pinks....

I guess my bitching to the pink gods payed off :)

'Had a nice sleep in yesterday and went for a lazy day on the water. Decided it couldn't hurt to throw a rod or two down. Didn't check the current or run bait or anything. Taking a couple passes at possession before exploring down towards the trap shack looked like fun, and picked up a nice spring right off the point in the middle of the afternoon. first pass!
I don't have a scale, But we measured it. 37.25 long and 24 around. (if we measured it in the right place)

Kind of makes me wonder about getting up at 4am getting a teen the day before....

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 473
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice on the pinks....

I guess my bitching to the pink gods payed off :)

'Had a nice sleep in yesterday and went for a lazy day on the water. Decided it couldn't hurt to throw a rod or two down. Didn't check the current or run bait or anything. Taking a couple passes at possession before exploring down towards the trap shack looked like fun, and picked up a nice spring right off the point in the middle of the afternoon. first pass!
I don't have a scale, But we measured it. 37.25 long and 24 around. (if we measured it in the right place)

Kind of makes me wonder about getting up at 4am getting a teen the day before....

Saweet!! Great lookin fish right there. Congrats!

Someone "otter" start a new thread on impact of sea otters.

Great fish!
Nice to see some calm, fog free days!

Tips

That's a large football Telstar. Nice fish! I was out on a friends boat early Sunday and I think I saw both you and High Five out there. We hit otter (small pinks and coho throwbacks), then possession (two 10-12 chinooks and a large 10lb pink right on the point, nothing at trap but massive bait, then down to Beechie for another chinook. We saw only one large chinook caught by one of the guys from trotac, but lots of fish coming off possession and trap. It was weird. The chinook were only hitting the peanut butter teaser, not the green glow, not the purple haze, none of the spoons.

Out yesterday with a couple of buddies fished Aldridge - Possession; hit 5 Springs, lost a nice one, finished with 3 teens - 1 red and 2 whites.

Beauty day on the water this morning! Got the wife and kids out fishing and she got her first ever salmon to the boat as well as netting one for me! Now I'll never be threatened about selling the boat ever again.lol.... She missed the first two pinks but did a solid on the next strike. Sadly, with three kids 6 and under on the boat we ran out of time to hunt down a spring. Seems I'm suffering the plight of the Englishman this summer with the chinook. Ohh well I'm putting my time in and it'll come soon I'm sure.

Well its been 10 years since ive caught a 30+ Sooke chinook. This morning was hot off the possesion. Got a 30 and 15 and broke another biggie off. Let a 12 and 10 go aswell.

Bait on the bottom 64 and 81 ft.

-KK

Back