Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Started late today, left the dock at 11 ish and went out front. Had two ladies on board, and my cousin. The girls werent that interested in steering. Between the current
and wind pushing up backwards towards secretary, my boats windage, non stop humpies, and catching a f-Ing seagull that took off with my flasher Id had enough,
and went upto the east side of otter and fished tight to shore to avoid the gusts. Picked up a nice lttle spring right off the point, Lost a few goodies, and started to get
annoyed with all the coho/pinks. I didnt look to close, I just got them off the hook asap. Left otter at around 2. It was a pretty good day for a late start, and not checking the currents.
Has anyone else had the pleasure of holding a gull still while getting your fav teaser head back ?

O yea, fished chovie and coho killer at 50 and 70 ft. Both produced about the same.

Planning on a early start tomorow, possibly spending the night on the boat tonight for the first time, It should be fun :)
Has anybody done any hali fishing? Im going to hali fish monday for sure. And possibly tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw all that action Tsquared.. The Yak's were on fire today with the other guy in the blue yak getting a nice fish. I like the way he lands them with no net.. Some guys remarked the yaks are out fishing us. lol.. Didn't have a lot of time today but managed to put some fish in the boat..
I noticed that about the yaks too!! :D I was glad to see the 2 guys in that little dinghy get a nice fish. I helped them down the beach with their boat--they are both deaf so it was cool to see them get one. I was yelling encouragement to them as they were playing it and then it dawned on me I was wasting my time--they couldn't hear me anyway.
BTW--I'm out of Cheanuh tomorrow taking some kids out for the pink salmon festival. Anybody been into them hot and heavy lately--tidelines, Secretary? Seems like they've thinned out considerably.
T2

yaks have one of the biggest advantages they are super quiet no motor noise, and you can literally kiss the rocks on ledges etc (super close to shore and beaches).... They are actually the smart ones how much do there trips cost them LOLOL. Super cheap and super fun..

I agree!!!! My last 4 trips out I've got into tons of fish and big one too!! And a trip will cost me less than 20$ including the cost of bait. Just a lot more tiered at the end of the day!!

CONGRATS boys thats awesome always say hi to you when im up there!!! cool to see.

So Sooke is still good got some nice fish again today saw something ive never seen before off the bluffs ill try and figure out how to transfer pics from phone to comp later, but I saw a SEA OTTER out there couldn't believe my eyes!!!! even had a urchin on his belly breaking it open. knew we had some MANY years ago.
Good luck Wolf

CONGRATS boys thats awesome always say hi to you when im up there!!! cool to see.

So Sooke is still good got some nice fish again today saw something ive never seen before off the bluffs ill try and figure out how to transfer pics from phone to comp later, but I saw a SEA OTTER out there couldn't believe my eyes!!!! even had a urchin on his belly breaking it open. knew we had some MANY years ago.
Good luck Wolf
The Otter's GPS was on the fritz, Wolf. He figured he was off Brooks and mistook Secretary for Solander! :D
T2

Good luck Wolf
That's great news Wolf! More sea otters around less urchins. Less urchins, more kelp. More kelp forests more fish rearing habitat for both young and larger fish. In the end more fish! It's all connected and that is what it is all about!

I noticed that about the yaks too!! :D I was glad to see the 2 guys in that little dinghy get a nice fish. I helped them down the beach with their boat--they are both deaf so it was cool to see them get one. I was yelling encouragement to them as they were playing it and then it dawned on me I was wasting my time--they couldn't hear me anyway.
BTW--I'm out of Cheanuh tomorrow taking some kids out for the pink salmon festival. Anybody been into them hot and heavy lately--tidelines, Secretary? Seems like they've thinned out considerably.
T2

Yes that was me! Thank you for lifting my little dingy. I patted your shoulder and I was saying “ Good Luck and have fun”
I was so glad that you caught a nice hatchery spring . Other Yaks caught fish as well. We saw the Blue Kay managed to land the big spring with no net , that was very cool. Tsquared, We saw you had a good battle with the fish . The other boat took care of your fish and gave your fish back to you by the nets. I caught a 19 lbs red spring and my friend caught a nice 6 lbs hatchery northern coho. We had fun but there was too strong winds and bumpy. I like to use a longer leader because I caught a 34 lbs spring a month ago. I was trying to catch another tyee. I am sorry we can not hear you when you yelled at us, we were deaf. Next time you can big wave, we can get your attention! We communicated ASL (American sign langague) It was very nice meet you! We hope to see you and other guys and lets wave around and happy fishing!

P.S. If you want to curious about learning ASL go for www.aslpro.com.

Out of Cheanuh for the Pink Fish Festival (Take a Kid Fishing) today, had a slow start but around 1 around the tide change, the bite came on out at the tideline and we got into a number. Multiple double headers (one with both landed - that's a first for me I think!), and ended up sending both kids home with 3 fish a piece - 5 pink, 1 hatch coho. A really well organized event. Nice to meet a few of the other guys out for the festival, including some forum members.

Great day, otter point at first light two hits and a 15lber then it slowed down and made the move to the west and got a 10 and a 25 then picked up the kids for the pink salmon festival and got them into lots of fish, kept 5 pinks, lost 10, and a hatch coho, and released 4 wilds. Nice to meet you too Adler!

Out of Cheanuh for the Pink Salmon Festival today too! Had a great day, boated 6 pinks and one teenager spring, released 3 coho and many jack springs. The young fisher we took today had an experience he won't soon forget. What a blast! Kudos to the organizers who put on a terrific event.

It was fun. I had a teenager who by the end of the day was running both riggers, hooking up gear--a real quick study! Thanks to the organizers for a good day.
T2

was at Otter Point the other day in a little dingy boat with a friend. Lumpy ride, indeed! fishing was impressive! It was wonderful to see kayakers getting nice fish as well. take care

Missed the Pink Festival, I'll look for it next time around, sounds like a great idea and a good time for all. Fished Possession in close and picked up two low teen reds, at about 8 and 9 am - nothing but a couple pinks afterwards. Jellyfish purple haze teaser head with a purple flasher at 60 feet got the fish for us today (including the pinks). It was really pleasant to fish without wind or fog.

Took a kid out in the pink salmon festival today off Secretary. 9 pinks, 2 coho, and released 2 large sockeye. Not too bad for 2 hours. The kid's going to be eating a lot of fish.

The whites are here now High five been getting some all week been lucky enough to have 3 in my freezer now ..... super stoked about that and to smoke them in about a month....

Went to otter yesterday morning first light, Got a mid teen spring at 69 ft with 3.5 inch green spoon first thing, when it dried up we went west and picked up a high teens between muir and sheringham that we lost while netting. This one was on chovie at 69ft.

Can somebody give me some advice, From the time the first line hit the water yesterday morning, Untill we gave up we couldn't keep the shakers and coho and pinks off. It was absolutely horrible. More work that fun. we tried faster, slower, as deep as 150, and as shallow as 35. close in tight, and way out far. we COULDNT GET AWAY from the F-ING little fish and pinks! It was a constant battle from one line to the other for hours...... Exhausting! The last resort for us was tying on a 6inch hali squirt on, and a monster spoon. That was the only thing that kept them away, But our confidence soon lessend and we went back to battling these nuisance fish... I was planning on going out today, But im having second thoughts now....

Wtf am I doing wrong here? What are you guys doing to avoid CONSTANT pink belittling?

After a few hours we couldn't handle it any more and anchored for some piece and quiet and tried snagging a hali thru the tide change. Not even a dog fish. There probly all full of stupid little pinks :)

Telstar,

Pinks , coho and little feeder spring can take 6" anchovy.. Try to put little bigger than 6" herring on teaser head ( bulletroll) or hearring teaser head. or use bigger than 4.5" spoon are might be work for spring and stay away from small fish but the larger coho could strike on them.

Hope that help.

Discus.

Fished the Sooke area yesterday as well... Stayed tight to shore all day and struggled a bit with the current, pinks and bottom fish. Had to check the gear what seemed like every 30 seconds. Managed one hatch teener on the high slack.

Another great day for my crew they have never been to the westcoast broke in some virgins for the first time, I donated a trip to the Saskatchewan gun club (shanovan div.) to raise money for a cancer person who was a friend for funds for travel etc and to help out the family.(unfortunately he passed after Christmas) he was indeed a good person. and was lucky to know him all the time i spent back there.

So the guy bought it in the auction and has come to fish for a few days with me . here is a pic of him and his Wife and there are loving Sooke and the westcoast ... she now wants to move here LOL she is hooked she landed this nice 24 lber. seems purple of anything black chrome head has been good last couple of days
Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• DSCN3491.jpg
    DSCN3491.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 424
Back