Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Out for many hours today, trying hard to catch big springs. Ended up with 2 Springs, largest was a beaut, 17 lbs, 2 pinks, and a hatch coho. Fished around Otter for only my second time there, fish were on from 6:30-9, then slowed right down. Lost a couple around noon. Great, flat day on the water.

Fished otter in the ya 630 pm to 8pm had a 20 pounder on in the first 20 min the another one 20 min later but a huge sealion stole the second one from me 10 feet from my kayak scared the sh#*%t out of me. Then sun was going down so I called it quits

Fished otter in the ya 630 pm to 8pm had a 20 pounder on in the first 20 min the another one 20 min later but a huge sealion stole the second one from me 10 feet from my kayak scared the sh#*%t out of me. Then sun was going down so I called it quits

Yeah, I could see that being a panty changer! Man, you need steel cahones to fish salmon from a kayak, but it sure sounds like a blast. Would have loved to try it...but will leave it for the young and brave I think.

Fishing is still good got into some nice fish today, Took a buddy out after my am trip just went to my doorstep and we limited out in less than 2 hours nothing huge but was a beautiful evening thats for sure, saw someone with one pushing 40 lbs

So when they say anglers should take every measure possible to ensure their angling does not impact migrating sockeye salmon does that mean nobody should be trolling a small pink hootchie or other similar sockeye gear when fishing pinks?

Good ol DFO I love an ambiguous regulation.

Barbless hooks, good catch and release technique (no net) and if catching sockeye after sockeye...move. That is my interpretation and would be more than reasonable.

I saw a huge sea lion on Constance bank yesterday splashing around . Trolled by him and he was on his back eating a probably 40-50 lbs halibut . don't see that every day. after wards we saw him swimming quickly towards race rocks so many it was the same one lol?

Got up at regular hour today but so nice this morning decided to head out after breakfast. Joined the big throng at Possession around 10am and trolled around the same territory as everyone else. Fog came down at 10:30 am (weird) and did not lift until 2:30pm. Got a couple of pinks, released 4 coho and did get a 9lb Chinook at 54 feet on a the same green/blue hootchie as Wednesday. Long dry spell followed. When we drifted out in front of Secretary, killer whales surfaced eerily in the fog several times. So that may not have helped the fishing!

For the last hour in the sunshine after the fog lifted in the afternoon we decided to head way out into 120 feet of water and troll along the bottom again out front. We hit three Chinook at 115 feet in 30 minutes. Only got a two to the boat 7lb and 10lb, but it was fun catching fish a very long way from the group of boats still at Possession. This is the third time this summer we have caught Chinook in this way, out front. They are not big, the largest we have got is 13lb, but there seems to be a lot of them hanging out there, just like winters. We got one on an anchovy and one on a glo white hootch.

Don't think I have seen it so flat as it was today. Like a very large lake. Spectacular day once the sun finally appeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boat back in the water and figured we should find out what all the hype is about! Well we found out. Trolled "My" front door. 5 springs on in less than an hour. released a 14 and a 20 and lost 3 more. figured we would head in and call it and try again tomorrow. All fish shallow and on bait. really tight to shore ;)

-KK

jffisher-

It must have been you me and the one other guy that saw that sea lion ripping apart that halibut at Constance yesterday evening ( just before the Koto express set anchor ) Was that a hali or a skate? I never got close enough to make a positive ID.

We tried bait and spoons at the beginning of the day, but ended up switching to all bait exclusively by the end of the day, the springs were passing up everything except for 'chovies with a lazy roll.

Cheers
Rich

"I saw a huge sea lion on Constance bank yesterday splashing around . Trolled by him and he was on his back eating a probably 40-50 lbs halibut . don't see that every day. after wards we saw him swimming quickly towards race rocks so many it was the same one lol? "

Another stellar day out there with some very good people from calgary this is his is 8 th year in a row coming fishing with my company and other charter guys, we pecked away all day and managed to get them a limit of 17 to 24 lbers there were 3 whites and a couple of ones that were getting darker thats for sure.The big guy has turned into a great friend that when I go to sask hunting it includes me stopping and staying at his place. and trust me fun times... this year hes getting hitched and im going to mexico to be part of it... thats whats cool about fishing its the friends you make and the fun times .and yes heres a pic for you.....as i got a pm saying "post more pics"

Attachments

• DSCN3485.jpg
    DSCN3485.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 576
Fished Otter to Muir yesterday - 6:30 to 12:30. Had a couple people from calgary in the boat along with my fishing buddy (his brother and friend). Gave them a fun time - 28,28,20,14,8,6 springs and a couple chum and a pink.
Lost 2 biggies and had numerous pin poppers. Seemed the 69 was the number - ALL the big fish hit at that depth. The fog and weeds sure made it a bit more exciting because it was flat calm all day.

Fished Otter to Muir yesterday - 6:30 to 12:30. Had a couple people from calgary in the boat along with my fishing buddy (his brother and friend). Gave them a fun time - 28,28,20,14,8,6 springs and a couple chum and a pink.
Lost 2 biggies and had numerous pin poppers. Seemed the 69 was the number - ALL the big fish hit at that depth. The fog and weeds sure made it a bit more exciting because it was flat calm all day.
Octapi,
Two 28's in one session is amazing! Makes my report seem pretty lame!:)
But then I am happy to be catching summer chinook of any size this year, which is more than can be said for 2012!!:(

I went out on Friday , hit Sherringham at about 9 am and picked up a 18 at about 10, and then got into some smaller wild coho 4-5 lber's, fog rolled in and lots of crap in the water, had another good strike up there and then released a couple of feeder springs. Trolled back past Muir, was a few boats hanging around there but did not see much happening, got into some more smaller stuff before we got to Otter then wacked a 25 off #2 rock at about 3 pm. Yes it was nice to fish the afternoon in the calm water, not much crap in the water at Otter either, that was it for us, headed in at 4 pm. -

Fished Otter this morning in the yak. Got a nice spring on screaming line out so I reefed the sail and turned to follow it away from the beach and tried to wave 2 guys off in a 17.5 Double Eagle going west but it was too late and the fish was tangled on their rigger. So i turned to follow them west still yelling and they realized what was going on and brought their gear up. My fish was still on but was hopelessly tangled with their line and rigger so they netted it and dropped it into my net. After we untangled I told them shallow at 2nd rock. As one of them said--the fish is in the boat and that's what matters! Passed them later and they got one in the same spot. Good karma comes through. By the time I got squared away i was off the point and the tide was ripping too much for me, so called it a day.

T2

Fished dark o clock, putted out to Otter Pt. My fish came at 7am, 14 pounds. I joked with the hubby that I was out fishing him, he was persistant and 3 hours later, he hauled in a scrappy 19 pounder. Damn! He won today! As we were trolling home, we noticed in the distance, a humpback breaching 8 or 9 times! Awesome! Xena

Saw all that action Tsquared.. The Yak's were on fire today with the other guy in the blue yak getting a nice fish. I like the way he lands them with no net.. Some guys remarked the yaks are out fishing us. lol.. Didn't have a lot of time today but managed to put some fish in the boat..

Back