Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Went out from 7:00 till 2:30pm today. Started out at Otter. Thought I would give it a try once again but need not have bothered. Stuck it for two hours without a single touch and then upped stakes and went on down to Sheringham. What a contrast! Boated a duo of a 14 and a 15lb fish there within 2 hours and also got a small 5lb fish for the Bar-B-Q. All on anchovy at 60 feet. Also had a big hit on the same blue/green hootchie that worked there before. But it was only on for 15 seconds and shook loose. Added a nice big pink later and released a good coho on the troll back past Muir.

I don’t know what it is about Otter. Cannot get anything worthwhile there ever. And before everyone jumps to defend Otter, yes I know it works for everyone else and every guy limits out there every time! LOL. :D

It just does not work for me. I figure the curse of the Englishman that used to prevent me getting any summer Chinook at all has now contracted so I cannot get anything at Otter! I can live with that……:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a good shift in today with CBY - out at 6 and returned at 1. Managed a nice 20'er red just 20 mins in than played a couple smaller ones to the boat past head which were "released" until we hooked into a nice teen age double header. Tons of boats at trap so we avoided that. Finished the day with a nice hatch coho and a pink for the smoker. Beauty day out there! Any night reports from today?... thinking the next 2 days should also be good.

Was at Possession yesterday morning and watched the bite really turn on. Agonizing when others are catching and you aren't. When our turn came, as a fish peeled line, I handed the rod to my never-fished-before buddy and started to clear the gear. As the peeling stopped over my shoulder I was telling him to reel but didn't realize he was reeling line out - not in - until it was too late. Ouch, I've never seen that before. We'd even had a couple of shakers earlier to practice on... Picked up a ten around Secretary later but had to shake some pinks there. Fish seemed deeper, 70ish feet on the rigger.

Possession Point

Finally a decent fishing report to pass on. Possession Point, 5:30-8am. Netted a 15 and 18 pounder, both at 65', one on purple haze flasher and teaser, one gold betsy and green glow. Then got a double header, my wife's fish got taken by a huge sealion right at the boat....lost the gear and about half a reel's line by the time she got the knife to it. On my side, got it to the boat, it was a biggie, around 30 is my guess ... but it did a final lazy twist, I glimpsed its big fat belly for a moment, then the hook was shook and it was gone.

Still, pretty exciting morning fishing ... my wife's first chinooks and a great fishing tale to go with it. I think I have a new fishing buddy!

[Zed: that was my experience with my wife years ago, when she last tried salmon fishing....reeled backwards and we lost a good one. Now, with any fishing newbies on single action reels, I always do a little dockside training session...."I'm the fish, you reel....now let go....now reel....etc" :) ]

Diden't think I could top yesterday's day at possesion off. But today Dad and I did it. 3 passes 2 double headers and a single. 5 springs. 27,21,20,18,18. Let two of them go. Kept the biggest 3.

All springs today were at 38 and 54 ft. Blue Chrome head and purple haze flasher. I also had somthing happen Ive never had before. Hooked the 21 at the surface in the propwash only 15 ft behind the boat to make it a double header. Was clearing the rod as fast as I could reeling like crazy. Flasher pops and then just an explosion of white water behind. Then the battle began. WOW Crazy fishing in sooke right now! LOVE IT!

Here is yesterday's 30.

And Here is todays haul.

Congrats on the fish John!

-KK

Wow Karma-Kazi, That's a great 2 days in a row. Karma is definitely in play here. You likely released lots of fish in your past life! LOL

Nice! me thinks it's going to busy at the Poss. Pt. office manana :rolleyes:

In Sooke today with two rookies in my little 16 footer,glass calm sunny skies and 4 springs from 15-23 pounds.Hour and a half drive down there was well worth it,Sooke is my new favorite place to fish

Looks like a little front passing through, calling wind through the night....suspect it might be a little sloppy in the am Friday.
Yes the wind can be a precursor to sleeping in... when the fishing is good you are on a mission ;)

Another good quick after work fish trip at otter in the yak!!!! Fished 1:30-3. Got a 12 pound chinook in the first 20 min after watching the Orca show a little ferther out. Then about 5 wild cohos till I found a fat 9 pound hatchary then call it quicks. got real hot trolling in the sun. :)

Back from living in Bermuda for 2 years and I didn't waste time getting back out there with the old man. Fished Possession yesterday and today. We limited out on springs both days before 9am. UNREAL. 40 to 60 feet. All of them were between 15 and 22 pounds.

Finally a decent fishing report to pass on. Possession Point, 5:30-8am. Netted a 15 and 18 pounder, both at 65', one on purple haze flasher and teaser, one gold betsy and green glow. Then got a double header, my wife's fish got taken by a huge sealion right at the boat....lost the gear and about half a reel's line by the time she got the knife to it. On my side, got it to the boat, it was a biggie, around 30 is my guess ... but it did a final lazy twist, I glimpsed its big fat belly for a moment, then the hook was shook and it was gone.

Still, pretty exciting morning fishing ... my wife's first chinooks and a great fishing tale to go with it. I think I have a new fishing buddy!

[Zed: that was my experience with my wife years ago, when she last tried salmon fishing....reeled backwards and we lost a good one. Now, with any fishing newbies on single action reels, I always do a little dockside training session...."I'm the fish, you reel....now let go....now reel....etc" :) ]

Nice fish you guys. I can't even get Danita to go with me. You will have to tell her how much fun it was.
Angus

Little bumpy on the way out to Trap Shack this morning, but well worth it when we got there! Coho, Springs & of course a bunch of Pinks. Great day out there and all done by noon. :)

What a wonderful day at Sooke today. Lumpy going out to Otter. Got our limits on springs, hatchery coho and a couple of pinks. Otter has been nothing short of spectacular this year.

Back