Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Launching in Sooke
I plan on fishing a few days in Sooke over the next 2 weeks. I've checked out the launching ramps at the west end. Doesn't look like there is a lot of parking at Jocks or at the Best Western. Where do you park if these places are full? Or do they get full?
Thanks
Stosh

On the road. I don't think jocks fills too often the one beside it does - or used to when it was free.

Went out from 7:00 till 11:00 today off of possession and secretary. Picked up one teenager, lots of pinks and released a few wild coho. Also lost 2 other springs. All springs were early before 8:00 on anchovie 50 to 60 feet. Finally a day without fog and no wind, thought I was dreaming.

Good day on the yak again at otter. Got one pink, one hatch coho, and a 15 pound chinook. Tons of action but was only able to land the three, great weather out there too!!

Scratched out a couple out West, awesome Water, lots o boats, both on Herring in a Bullet Roll Head, seen some action but not as hot as the Weekend, both deeper off the Rigger... 77- 90, stomachs were tight and both a little darker. Good Day Driller

Went out to the Trap from 10-3. No springs in the boat today, just pinks and a bunch of sockeye thrown back all 8-10 lbs. The sockeye numbers are supposed to be low but they're jumping all over the place:confused:.

Hi I am new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone had an extra spot in their boat for tomorrow in the sooke/victoria area. will pay $ for gas and whatever else is needed.

thanks

steve

Super flat calm day so were finally able to get down to Sheringham after a 6 week absence due to fog and wind. Passed the usual swarm of boats at Otter but when we arrived at Sheringham no one was there, although 6 or 7 boats came down later in the morning from Muir. Anyway, amazing action in several bursts throughout the day. Ended with 3 chinooks in the boat, 7lb, 10lb and 18lb and lost at leastP1270827.jpg 4 more. One snapped my leader right at the hook behind the teaser head – it felt very big. I had caught the two smaller Chinook on the same anchovy t/head already and I noticed it looked a bit suspect but I did not change it out. Lesson learned – if it looks suspect it is!! All our hits came between 50 and 65’. The bigger Chinook hit a green and blue hootchie and is our first ever decent summer Chinook on plastic. We also kept 4 pinks, released several more, and released one very nice wild coho (caught on a glow squirt).

Just to keep the day interesting, we had an altercation with a crab trap and ended up losing just a flasher and our successful hootchie, saw an eagle catch two fish off the surface and saw a big pod of killer whales around Muir on the way back. Beautiful and amazing day, all in all.

Pic of me with our fish this time.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit 6 springs today between Aldridge and the Trap. Lost 2 good ones and kept 10, 23, 25, and 25. The two smaller were hatchery reds and the 2 - 25's were white. Released at least 3 sockeye and also 3 coho. Got a nice 8 lb. hatchery coho and quite a few pinks - kept 3.

...Rob

English...I count 2 springs, 1 coho and 4 pinks :)

Well done Rob--were you out this pm or this morning? I couldn't buy a decent spring in the same area this morning.
T2

Tsquared: I was at the Trap 11 am to 1 pm. and hit the 4 good springs, one on a spoon and 3 on anchovy.

...Rob

STILL EPIC out there was done by 11 am 8 springs landed many lost was a fun day for sure and yes no wind bit of rain but heck after all this sunshine and chapped lips and leather skin nice to see some rain LOL.
all spots good

How could I not get out with a wind forecast like today. Skipped work and towed the boat out to Sooke today with my wife. Baby went to daycare. :p We stayed close and fished off secretary from 10-2. Got into some coho and a few pinks. None of the coho that we got to the side of the boat were clipped. Sent back a nice un-clipped coho about 10lbs. Had some good times on the fly rod and an apex off the back as well. Released a few small chinooks too. For the last hour we decide to roll some chovy in tight around pp. Wasn't long before we had a nice fish on and after some battle, it spit the hook near the boat. Worked the area a bit longer and we were rewarded with a nice slab. Don't have my scale right now but guessing it was around 22. Measured up at 36.5" x 21.5". It was starting to darken up.

Every time I fish Sooke, I'm rewarded. Anyone that calls Sooke waters home, you are lucky buggers.

Funny you ay that Dave when I walked down to the boat the 2 days a go looked up and saw this and had to take photos as we do indeed live in a great piece of the world, the boat people may know whos it is.......made for a good start of the day...

Attachments

• DSCN3479.jpg
    DSCN3479.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 550
  • DSCN3478.jpg
    DSCN3478.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 544
Funny you ay that Dave when I walked down to the boat the 2 days a go looked up and saw this and had to take photos as we do indeed live in a great piece of the world, the boat people may know whos it is.......made for a good start of the day...

Wow...a picture truly is worth a thousand words right there wolf. Beautiful!!

Got back in town Tuesday from the okanagan and asked buddy who was looking after my place while I was out if he wanted to head out. So of course the answer was "hell ya!". So we headed out otter way, fished beside wolf, fished beside hillier, man that yak fishing looks fun. Had a great day, only one 15# chinook, but some nice hatch ho's.... Buddy wanted the pinks so we kept some of those bleeding bastards too. One particularly feisty pink broke the reel seat on my fly rod which was pretty entertaining. Unfortunately we lost so many nice fish due to my partners lack of experience but ya gotta learn somehow. Even when I set the hook, he had a hard time gauging the coming or going. thinking a geared reel may be handy for when new guys are on board, cause I can't yell "REEL REEL!" All day :)

First world problems...... I know. Lots of worse ways to spend a day then on the water getting a good guy some fish!

DFO just released this, but it conveniently leaves out Area 20.... Does this means that there is a small chance that they may open the socks in our area? I doubt it, but one can always hope...

"FN0739-RECREATIONAL - Salmon- South Coast marine waters- Closed time for sockeye salmon fishing
Effective 23:59 hours Thursday, August 15, 2013 until further notice, fishing
for sockeye salmon is not permitted in the following waters:

Areas 11 to 19, 21, 24 to 27, 121 and 123 to 127.

Current run size estimates of Fraser River Summer Run sockeye salmon combined
with record water temperatures in the Fraser River have resulted in no
allowable harvest available. The Department's priorities are to ensure that
there is sufficient sockeye returning to the spawning grounds. The Department
is continuing to manage fisheries to minimize sockeye impacts and provide
priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social and ceremonial
purposes.

Anglers fishing for other salmon species in areas that remain open are required
to take every measure possible to ensure that their fishing activities does not
impact sockeye salmon..."

Area 20 is closed for sockeye

Amendment to FN0739: The previous version of this notice did not include Area
20, Area 28 and Subareas 29-1 to 29-10. The full corrected version of the
notice follows.

Effective 23:59 hours Thursday, August 15, 2013 until further notice, fishing
for sockeye salmon is not permitted in the following waters:

Areas 11 to 21, 24 to 28, 121, 123 to 127 and Subareas 29-1 to 29-10.

Got a late start this AM due to filleting and brining fish for the smoker but got out in the yak from Muir to Sheringham from 11ish to 4 for 6 fish--3 wild coho, 2 feeder springs(released) and 1 pink. I guess I missed the bite at Muir by about an hour or so but it was a great day anyway. The coho are getting to a size where they are a lot of fun.
T2

Back