Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Yep my son finally got on the Spring board today; went 0 - 3 on the previous outing, I presume he's pretty stoked because he invited the outlaw's and us for a BQ. Crack a ten start , chovy on a long leader. photo to follow?

Hope you didn't yell at him this time......hehe. Congrats to him. 10am bbq?

Yep my son finally got on the Spring board today, went 0 - 3 on the previous outing :rolleyes:

If he goes 0-4, Tell him Lippy says "YOU'RE FIRED"

Like this.....

tumblr_lid2usdOc01qzp0j7o1_500.jpg

Maybe your idea of stationary is actually the correct trolling speed! LOL Just kidding.
Maybe profisher. But in that case the correct trolling speed would have been zero with respect to the flood tide current at 2:30pm. I.e. idling with the current at whatever speed it was going at at that time.

Maybe profisher. But in that case the correct trolling speed would have been zero with respect to the flood tide current at 2:30pm. I.e. idling with the current at whatever speed it was going at at that time.
Gee! come to think of it, my kid got his spring at 2:30pm >>>> going with the current :)

EM honestly you just said today you are now hooking fish, and you lost a few... That sounds to me like a really good thing? :)Join the club lots of us have the same problem sometimes.... Don't over think it apply what you did today, and keep fishing the areas based on currents/tides .... If an area is dead move around.... You watch your luck is going to change soon it has too....

I wish you success, but at same time try to have some fun...It's fishing....
Thx High Five.
I am definitely having fun ... no doubt! Luck has already changed because I am catching the odd chinook now and again and got my decent one in June......
Today was just strange and interesting. Two hits, with engine at idle and DR cable straight up and down, drifting with the tide......there has to be an explanation....:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you didn't yell at him this time.. 10am bbq?
Nope didn't yell at him.. well maybe I let out a whoop when it jumped ... and he thought it was a pink :)

btw we got to the marina @ 10am

Rollie may be onto something here. Your kicker should be able to get your boat moving in the water quick enough to get the right action. Never use your gps to determine trolling "speed". Always reference the angle of your downrigger cables to determine correct "speed". Factor in the weight of your ball, and the depth your fishing to determine proper angle. I like 20-30 degrees (0 degrees is vertical) with 12lb ball at 50'....This is with bait btw.

Winters, and smaller feeders seem to like faster speeds too.......
Dave, but what I am saying is we got two hits at 0 degrees, one after the other. DR cable straight up and down, engine at idle, drifting with the current...on plastic no less! Go figure!:confused:

English. If you're worried about single hooks losing you fish go to double trebles tied with 60 lb Dacron. I always use these on anchovies and springs don't get off. I use Rhys Davis super strong no 1. These work fine on the squirts. Of the springs I caught this week the biggest was on the glow green with double treble. Even the stupid looking pink squirt with hooks trailing has caught me just as many fish as a single hook. However if the wild coho are thick, I use singles for an easy release.IMG_00000225.jpg

I have to wonder sometime about gear phobia. treble hooks are really not going to get you more fish or better hookups. I have been using single, barbless hooks since 1970 for salmon fishing, just like the commercial guys. I don't miss many hookups and those I hook are all landed. the treble hook is something designed to catch anglers and it is not a panacea to better or more fish hooked. if you are missing hookups, I would suggest you start examining your technique. for starters, how much drag is on your reel?? my reels have just enough drag to stop them from clicking on the DRs, no more is necessary. start examining the total picture before you start messing with hooks that are really not needed.

Roland (aka Englishman):- I've had that happen several times. The boat may be not moving and your lines may be straight up and down,,,,,,,,,but the flasher may be moving around a little bit with ...with the resultant action on the lure. This action may be miniscule........but it may be just enough to trigger a strike.

It's similar to the old "gun 'n' run'" strategy....where you motor along and then cut the engines so everything goes dead....wait until lines are straight down then throttle up to trolling speed. That's when they will hit.

Reminds me of a story about guys catching big Chinooks at a resort some place ....they would toss the heads off the herring they were preparing over the side of the boat. When they got Chinooks they would cut them open and there would be the herring heads in the stomachs. The herring heads were just falling straight down in the water , probably with very little action on them.....but the Chinook would eat them.

I have had Chinook hits where I am playing a fish on one side of the boat.....and the other side is just doing nothing, supposedly dead in the water and it gets a hit.

I find this happens more with spoons than with hoochies tho'........but you can never really tell what's going on down there with the lure at any given time.

( I know some guys try to....with a Go-Pro.......:)

Just heading to the island now wanted to know if u guys think a 17 foot alum smokercraft osprey can handle the local hotspots this weekend? Otter point secretary ect?

ok derby scales closed. now we should hear some reports! lol very quite in here.

we went out yesterday and managed a 11 and 15 which we thought were big fish until we got them on the scale.

stopped by peddar for a look at the 33 and high twentys they had in the winners box as of yesterday. wow! I cant believe how big a 25lb fish is!!! omg heard some people were throwing 20lb fish back in to get bigger wtf!! i have so much to learn!!!

Had a late start this morning. Left the dock around 6 ish. Got out front and fished the channel deep. 2 hatchery springs in the teens at 110 and another mid teens at 150 while heading to secretary Isl. -also a Hatch. Limited out on pinks for the smoker and I was done in about 2 hours! I learned that bait left in a fridge for a week or so doesnt really work =) So all fish caught on spoons. 60'' and 42'' leader both worked. Also got a quick whale show. I dont know what kind they where, Did anybody else see them?
Lots of boats fishing in tight for biggies, I didnt realize there was a derby untill I was back at the dock.

what was going with the two commie boats trolling back and forth in front of the harbor mouth yesterday? mabey it just looked like they had there nets out?

funny I put my bait away yesterday too. and only one pink thankgoodness for us.

Fished in the Derby this weekend. Saturday left the Dock at 5 and pounded out West. Good action in the Morning on Feeder Springs and Jacks, nothing big all about 13-15 Lbs, nice big Wild Coho about 10 Lbs, Sockeye and a few pinks, Flood turned on some Bait and Birds and it was non-stop until we packed it in about 3.weighed one fish in at 17lbs. Early start on Sunday, water was actually a little better in the Morning for the Run out. First pass in the Morning, double Header one weighed 20 and one 18. Proceded to lose the next four good Hits and that was it. Two of the fish weighed were whites, and one Hatch red that was stuffed with a 7 inch Herring, assorted Needle Fish and even two Sculpins. Fished Bait all weekend, fish were all between 50-85 on the Rigger. Nice fish coming from in front of the Harbour too, Guy at my Dock got a 38 on Saturday Morning out Front(no Derby Ticket). Good Weekend :) Driller

Out for the derby weekend, out early yesturday at otter, landed a 20.8, 15.6 and a 10 lb spring, out today same spot lamded a 18.3 and released a 9 lber, kept 1 hatch coho and released a few pinks, good day on the water both cays, happy to be out enjoing the plentiful springs abundent in sooke! We live in such a great spot!!!!

Well been away but have been super busy with a big group which Ive been fishing with close to 15 years, organizing it for the last 5 years lots of people and Boats, we have a wind up where I cook these AWESOME prime rib steaks, everyone involved and guides have a feast lots of fun and stories being tossed around a really good time!!!!id say one of the best parts sitting on the sundeck ... relaxing with everyone

Here are the pics from Friday, Saturday trips with a monster 33 lb that one the mini Derby caught by one of my fellow guide friend awesome for his crew!!!!

Last pic is from today just couldn't stick that 4th had 3 others on only to say NO WAY MAN.... shiat happens also seeing some more coho showing up again.... pinks have subsided a bit
So have to say sooke is STILL on fire and awesome fishing.
Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• singer valve aug 9th.jpg
    singer valve aug 9th.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 566
  • 2013aug10 singer valve.jpg
    2013aug10 singer valve.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 567
  • Aug 11th fish.jpg
    Aug 11th fish.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 567