Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Well been away but have been super busy with a big group which Ive been fishing with close to 15 years, organizing it for the last 5 years lots of people and Boats, we have a wind up where I cook these AWESOME prime rib steaks, everyone involved and guides have a feast lots of fun and stories being tossed around a really good time!!!!id say one of the best parts sitting on the sundeck ... relaxing with everyone

Here are the pics from Friday, Saturday trips with a monster 33 lb that one the mini Derby caught by one of my fellow guide friend awesome for his crew!!!!

Last pic is from today just couldn't stick that 4th had 3 others on only to say NO WAY MAN.... shiat happens also seeing some more coho showing up again.... pinks have subsided a bit
So have to say sooke is STILL on fire and awesome fishing.
Good luck Wolf

You are the only guide that provides reports every two days on the Island, and that alone is something to be proud of. I know many guides on the Island, but they don't often have the time to post as much as you do. Not saying they don't have the will too. Most do when they can. But your posts give the average angler hope, and it's great to see Sooke rocking!

Otter was on fire today, we landed 13, 15, 17, 21, 22 and lost 2 huge fish well over 30 right at the net, saw them both and wish we didn't.
Sure wish some boats would pay attention when people have fish on!

Fished in the Bite Me Derby for the first time. The 33lb caught Sat held up for the win. The top 85 fish weighed in for prizes were 18lbs plus. Fish had to be 15 lbs to be eligble for weigh in. 3 of the 4 springs we caught weren't eligible but weighed in a 21 caught off Bedfords an hour before the deadline.

Thanks Big green myself and Pro and Others on here have the same vision( i think) to promote area 19/20 as a great fishing destination if you look years back ive always done this.... I personally would love to see Sooke as the "NEXT" salmon capital of the world.... Im proud Of where I live and support the community which i call home.
Back out again in a hour hopefully with less traffic today!!!! YEAH!!!!

Good day at otter. Fished 6:30-11 had one hog that peeled tons of line out, then lost it at the kayak when I was trying to net it, thought that was going to be my only good size hit. Not even an hour later same spot had a nother pin popper and it was on!!! Diddnt end well for the fish this time!! Landed a nice 20 pound red hatchary!!!!image.jpg

Good day at otter. Fished 6:30-11 had one hog that peeled tons of line out, then lost it at the kayak when I was trying to net it, thought that was going to be my only good size hit. Not even an hour later same spot had a nother pin popper and it was on!!! Diddnt end well for the fish this time!! Landed a nice 20 pound red hatchary!!!!View attachment 8551

That is truly impressive from a kayak. Did they pull your boat a bit?

Good day at otter. Fished 6:30-11 had one hog that peeled tons of line out, then lost it at the kayak when I was trying to net it, thought that was going to be my only good size hit. Not even an hour later same spot had a nother pin popper and it was on!!! Diddnt end well for the fish this time!! Landed a nice 20 pound red hatchary!!!!View attachment 8551

Cool, how do you get your lines deep on a kayak?

Caught an 8lb, 20lb springs and an 8lb pink today, trolled from Beechy to secretary. Was nice calm water today, big spring was on a purple UV hootchie at 75ft.

Otter point, anchovies with Wise-buys new U-V bait brine and long leaders they were deeper one side 57 the other 67 in 70-80 feet of water.
First time i've ever used a brine,very happy i'll try them again tomorrow at the waterfront.

Otter point, anchovies with Wise-buys new U-V bait brine and long leaders they were deeper one side 57 the other 67 in 70-80 feet of water.
First time i've ever used a brine,very happy i'll try them again tomorrow at the waterfront.

An awesome job!

Thank you for your sharing..

This weekend, My friend and I will go to Otter Point for salmon fishing.

Timing and location is everything. I tried to get out to Sooke in the morning(doh, missed the bite), but car repairs and passport office delayed me until mid-afternoon. By the time I got to Sooke it was blowing 20knots, so I turned around and headed to Pedder Bay to fish 530-830 in the lee of the westerly. Several boats out. No fish on the sounder, no bites. 2 other boats had a shaker or two on, but no keepers. One boat got a small spring from Church Rock but the observer said it was basically a dead day at Pedder Bay Marina yesterday.

Went to sooke camping for 4 nights 3 days of fishing all together between me and my gramps we caught 3 springs and 3 hatchery coho on anchovies and green spoon and hoochie had a great trip

I fished the trap reef early this AM for nothing but a huge sockeye, then i went with the last of the fllood back to the Head where i got a couple of hatch coho but no springs.
T2

Fished sun- Monday in sooke for the first time came from vancouver with a friend hit our 4 nice springs all above 20-30lb around secretary on Sunday then fished otter Monday 18 pounder at first light then slowed down hard picked up 3 hatch coho and 2 more small springs ten-12 pounds at secretary great fishing u guys have but man for a fishing town u guys really need a fish cleaning station on that nice new dock!

It turned on mid day not early AM so I heard......No kayak today?

BTW Nice to see the coho back again, and lots of hatcheries for a change....
The camper was on the truck so I couldn't haul the yak--forced to use the power boat. The first mate has decided to make her annual fishing trip tomorrow so we ll be out at the head in the pb. Give us a shout if you're out.
T2

Back